Brian Burke is a Dinosaur

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Brian Burke is making a fool of himself at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

He's on a panel titled "It's Not You, It's Me: Break-Ups in Sports" (with Stan Van Gundy, Bill Polian, Steve Pagliuca, John Buccigross, and Jackie MacMullan). Here are some of his better (worse?) quotes:

It's an eyeball business. If you're looking at statistics, I want you in our division.

No one ever won a title with Moneyball.

Statistics are like a lamppost for a drunk: useful for support, but not illumination.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think that hockey lends itself to statistics as well as baseball, but those are some pretty extreme statements. The trick is to correctly interpret the stats but he shouldn't dismiss them completely.

Edit: Actually, the last one doesn't seem so bad minus the typical Burke brand of blowhard bluster. :dunno:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Burke is the kind of GM who would have traded Dominik Hasek for scraps in the early 1990s because he doesn't "play the game the right way".

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
i fully agree with what he is saying

statistics are a part of the game but not all

and its true, no one ever a title with moneyball

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
i fully agree with what he is saying

statistics are a part of the game but not all

and its true, no one ever a title with moneyball

1193632736_0415.jpg

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
To be fair, Burke led a team to a Cup not 20 years ago, but 5 years ago. He's justified in believing in his methods as they had success for him not all that long ago.

In his second quote, maybe he's trying to say that nobody ever won a championship purely with statistics, and that a measure of eyeballing and having an eye for talent is involved as well? I think hearing the entire discussion would provide some context, instead of just yanking a sentence out of what was probably a larger idea.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Burke is the kind of GM who would have traded Dominik Hasek for scraps in the early 1990s because he doesn't "play the game the right way".

Hasek was available in the expansion draft and on waivers. I get your point but that was a poor example.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
.... he is completely right. I can't speak to the moneyball, but in regards to stats? Certainly.

Also, lol @ Red Sox moneyball.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
if those are your examples, every team wins with moneyball

You clearly have no idea about the advanced statistics that went into the Dallas Mavericks winning their championship, especially the major tactical changes they made during the Finals to beat the Heat.

And the Red Sox hired Bill James, the author of the Baseball Prospectus that became the basis for all of moneyball, and then won 2 championships in 4 years.

So yes, those are my examples.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
It's unbelievable how often people mistake Moneyball for strictly being a strategy employed by the Oakland A's. Every team has baseball team has analytics people in their front office & The Boston Red Sox have won several championships with it.

It's fine to disagree with the principles, but at least get the facts right.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
It's unbelievable how often people mistake Moneyball for strictly being a strategy employed by the Oakland A's. Every team has baseball team has analytics people in their front office & The Boston Red Sox have won several championships with it.

It's fine to disagree with the principles, but at least get the facts right.

Dude, who needs facts when you've got a movie!

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
You clearly have no idea about the advanced statistics that went into the Dallas Mavericks winning their championship, especially the major tactical changes they made during the Finals to beat the Heat.

And the Red Sox hired Bill James, the author of the Baseball Prospectus that became the basis for all of moneyball, and then won 2 championships in 4 years.

Daryl Morey, chairman of the Sloan conference & currently GM of the Houston Rockets, used analytics when he worked for the Boston Celtics during their last Championship season.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa

They also signed one of the guys the A's let go for being too expensive. The Sox won a couple of championships and I'm sure there was a lot of statistical analysis done but there was also a lot of money spent on acquiring players, not to mention the guys that were there who were on the team before Bill James was hired.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
all that team did was loot the Florida Marlins of all their good players

the Oakland A's were a moneyball team

Every traditional baseball mind thought that Mike Lowell was a salary dump addition to that trade. No one saw him contributing the way he did. And trading Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez is hardly "looting".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad