Confirmed with Link: Brian Burke Fired, Hired as Senior Advisor | Dave Nonis Hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am comforted about Nonis talking about patience, talking about continuing to build, not a change in direction... not going to gut the franchise. Seems like we are going to continue to build, not win now at all costs.

DaveT83*

I feel much more confident that Nonis is the right man for the job.

Everything he's saying is common sense. Continue building - make decisions on certain players - patience.

Feb 24, 2004
Can someone please tell the media to stop lobbing softballs at Anselmi? I'd never thought I'd be so happy to hear Simmons ask a question

MajorityRules*

This morning, his close friend for decades, and mentor, was just fired from a project they've been working on for years, and he's been thrust into the spotlight and put in control.

It's entirely reasonable for him to look rattled and uncertain.

He's been a GM before, this should be nothing new for him.

pSoup

Jul 27, 2010
Calm down about how Nonis looks, he's worked closely with Burke for awhile, and just took his job, and I'm sure it's hard to find out the morning of, and then later that day answer these questions, with everyone hanging on every word he says. He's being professional and careful.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Seems like he is trying to bring it around with humor but damn does he look sad.

DaveT83*

One positive out of this is we don't have to hear the Burke haters incoherent ramblings anymore. We'll unti they become Nonis haters.

Burke haters - are now Nonis lovers
Burke lovers - are not Nonis haters

Pretty easy to see that already.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Bell and Rogers are a joke, why now if you knew in August? Really really worried now about this ownership. They hire a player to coach TFC, now this beauty move on the eve of camp!!

Yep the playoff drought will continue. Big Corporation runs the show and makes the decisions. Nonis is merely a puppet.

koka86yanzi

Jan 9, 2013
This prompted me to join the forum...

But if it's true that this firing is over the Luongo issue where Burke didn't want to overpay but owners want an immediate fix...then I hope Leafs fan realize that the owners are still the same short sighted team and only cares for immediate revenue and profits...

I guess only time will tell. If leafs do end up overpaying for Lu next week...then it's really hard to continue being a leafs fan.

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
Any excitement I had about the Leaf's starting this new season has been zapped by this press conference.

Nonis saying something along the lines of "needing to find players to buy us time till our young guys come along", etc, doesn't sound like he plans on winning anytime soon. I am not saying it's a bad strategy, but man, they are not doing a great job of selling excitement about this club.

I always had mixed feelings about Burke, and am fine with him being fired, but this is a really depressing presser.

MajorityRules*

Calm down about how Nonis looks, he's worked closely with Burke for awhile, and just took his job, and I'm sure it's hard to find out the morning of, and then later that day answer these questions, with everyone hanging on every word he says. He's being professional and careful.

Oh good, the excuses are flying for him already.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
this team needed a change not a guy who is a little more patient than the previous guy but other than that thinks exactly the same

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Very much at ease to learn that much of the same will be going on with Nonis & co still running the ship. Competent, down to earth, smart hockey people that have been doing a good job setting the Leafs up for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad