Brian Burke coming on CKNW just after 10pm PST / 1am EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

A MUST Listen!!!

NOTE - ARCHIVED LINK NOW UP.
Brian Burke archived link - Feb 24th

Lots of info here including how Burke and John Davidson got involved in last week's season-rescue attempt, his defence of Bettman's action after the cancelation (heated debate here), and his prediction that ESPN will not pick up the $60M US option next year (that equals $2M per team)....

Listen to this one.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Ridiculous that the NHLPA killed this deal..... now the story is out that the NHLPA led the hockey world on

Christ - Burke is murdering this guy... hilarious :joker:

Last edited:

dvaske

Apr 29, 2002
NEW YORK CITY
Visit site
Goodenow Is toast

It in undeniable that Goodenow is responsible for at least this:

Vastly underestimating the owners resolve.
Vastly overestimating the strength of the PA's possition.

Bettman is going to be the clear winner, when the smoke clears.

ResidentAlien*

"if a deal isnt done in 7 days it wont get done.." Brian Burke 02/24/05
Ill be in Cancun all next week, thank god I dont have to come here 80 times a day to see who said what.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Dan: "Terrible sports story from last weekend. You looked very angry on the TV. That was as angry as I’ve seen you during this whole process."

Burke: "It was and I think people in Vancouver know Brian Burke.
I’m sure people in the rest of Canada don’t as well; they probably thought I was a psycho but I’d just had it.
There should have been a deal
It should have happened long before now
All the ground was paved for a deal on Saturday
I have researched this thoroughly I am absolutely convinced that the only reason there is not a deal is that the union AGAIN took a position that was insupportable.
There was a lot of back channel discussion. I was involved directly in some of it so I can speak truthfully to this as far as what people on their side said they needed, how it could get done.
The script was written, and all these guys had to do was come in, make the deal and work on some stuff and they just refused to do it.
So that was my frustration.
The average hockey fan was hopeful and joyous and happy and elated like ‘ok, they’re gonna finally get it done and we’re gonna see some hockey’.
I was more than that because I knew the script, I had helped put it together, so I was more than elated I was confident. I told Jennifer we're playing, it’s done, I mean Wayne Gretzky wouldn’t be getting on a plane if it wasn’t done.
So I was angry, and I don’t get it. I have to admit I don’t get it.
I understand the need for unions, I understand the need for strong positions by unions, I understand work stoppages, I understand it all. I don’t understand this.
…and I just cannot fathom where they’re going with it. That’s what I said on national TV. What’s plan B? I mean everyone knows what I think of my players, what I think of my Vancouver Canucks, even though they’re not mine anymore they’re still my players in my mind. How do they get their money back? How do they get their money back?
What’s plan B? Plan A was the owners would cave, well guess what? You know what? The last time someone made a judgment on the strength of their opponent and was this wrong was when George Armstrong Custard loked around and said “Hey, where’d all these Indians come from?â€

Last edited:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
There's a lot of good stuff in that interview, I wish I could type it all.

Burke points out that the PA AGAIN tried to get upward only linkage. Why even bother if the PA keeps trying to hang onto that scam?

Burke really stood up for Bettman when the interviewer tried ripping into him.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
getnziggywidit said:
There's a lot of good stuff in that interview, I wish I could type it all.

Burke points out that the PA AGAIN tried to get upward only linkage. Why even bother if the PA keeps trying to hang onto that scam?

Burke really stands up for Bettman when the interviewer tried ripping into him.

Dan russel is so biased against the NHL it's sickening. His opinion are not based on any sort of fact or report beyond his own rose colored glasses. I am glad Burke gave ti to him over it on the air. This guy is a nobody with no idea of what is really going on in the NHL and to try and take on Burke was very entertaining to be sure.

I highly recommend listening to this.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Russell is trying to put the blame for the breakdown on Bettman. Apparently its Bettmans fault for carying enough about the league to risking one last attempt to resurrect the season (and there was a deal supposedly done too). He should not have tried ("dead is dead" or there abouts).

Speaking as a fan, I'm glad he tried to save season. If he hadn't tried I'd be majorly ****ed off. But its all Bettman's fault because he tried.......:rolleyes:

Russell is just being a lame ass wanker about this. :madfire:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Also of note

Bettman went to $42.5m on his own initiative. Apparently it wasn't owner approved and he was not popular with a few owners for that move.

Bettman is not using his supermajority and has the majority of owners behind him.

Sammy*

This is a must listen. Everyone should listen to this. Burke puts the boots to Russel.
He is one sharp dude, very articulate & reasoned.
Burke :bow: :bow:

Sammy*

me2 said:
Russell is trying to put the blame for the breakdown on Bettman. Apparently its Bettmans fault for carying enough about the league to risking one last attempt to resurrect the season (and there was a deal supposedly done too). He should not have tried ("dead is dead" or there abouts).

Speaking as a fan, I'm glad he tried to save season. If he hadn't tried I'd be majorly ****ed off. But its all Bettman's fault because he tried.......:rolleyes:

Russell is just being a lame ass wanker about this. :madfire:

I agree. This is where Russell loses alot of credibility & his dislike of Bettman
& love of the NHLPA is patently obvious.
So Dan, exactly what was Bettman supposed to do if he in good faith thought there was a real good chance of a deal to happen. Not go to try & negotiate. Yep, that would be a real good strategy & excellent for the fans & the game. Cant imagine there would be many guys like you Dan who would just rip him (& justifiably so) for taking that tact.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
this Russell guy was a moron. he kept on asking Burke questions and then cutting him off 2 seconds later putting his pro-PA spin on it

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Most important things other than some further circumstantial evidence that the union leadership set the league up:

-Burke was one person asked to reach out to the league on behalf of the PA to get the league to reach out to the PA so that the offer could be presented. He mentioned that John Davidson was also involved.

- a prominent player but not one Burke has ever had on his team phoned Burke to initiate things.

-The PA instead of putting a number on the table and saying we want this, this and this in return (i.e. negotiating) as was expected instead said we want this, this and this and then perhaps we'll talk about the number.

- by Burkes count Bettman has atleast 20 owners in his pockets and probably closer to 24. It isn't 8 holding anything up but 24. And I'm guessing while the other 6 want to play they don't really care enough to make any waves as see dollar signs at the end of the rainbow for them as well.

-Bettman had a MAJOR push back from ownership when he went to $42.5.

- the owner ship has drawn on only $40 mil of the $300 mil warchest. The ownership has as much resolve now as they did before

- if the deal isn't done by April 1 ESPN will most likely not pick up their option removinf $2 mil from each teams bottom line immediately. (doesn't know for sure but his feeling is that is the case).

-BOG meeting will be uneventful as Bettman has large support in ownership

-PA meeting may be interesting. Feels there is widespread anger and resentment within the union ranks. Doesn't know if they have galvanized again. Doesn't think the speech police will be able to put down the dissenters for much longer.

-thinks there needs to be a strong union etc etc etc but thinks it is unbelievable and despicable that the union is fighting a war they can not hope to win with "his players" money (i.e. the canuck players he put together). As with everyone else doesn't know what Plan B is and doesn't see what Plan B could possibly be.

- no deal in a week (i.e. after these meetings) there will be no deal (my addition/inference: the players will get crushed).

-think it is despicable that the union tried to only get upward linkage after ahining about linkage for 6 months.

- and as many have been saying the deal doesn't get any better

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
getnziggywidit said:
You know what the last time someone made a judgment on the strength of their opponent and was this wrong was when George Armstrong Custard looked around and said “Hey, where’d all these Indians come from?â€

:lol :lol :lol

Burke=god.

:gman:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
After that interview, i want Burke to be the bearer of my children. If he can sort, and pwn over an issue like CBA, certainly he's capable of god-like feats.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Brian Burke is brilliant and if he was leading the players they would have saved over 1.3 billion in salaries this year and would have assured themselves of a fair and equatable CBA that was good for all concerned. The game, the fans, the owners and the players. Burke really does have an objective and logical way of keeping it simple stupid.

The sooner the players grow some balls and kick Goodenow out the sooner the next CBA will be signed off.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
:handclap: Burke :handclap:

:bow: Burke :bow:

This guy is by far the most knowledgable and insightful hockey analyst out there. ANd he should be with his wealth of experience in the NHL. I agree if Bob were tossed for this guy along time ago, they would have had a fair deal in September or atleast by January.

ResidentAlien*

bcrt2000 said:
this Russell guy was a moron. he kept on asking Burke questions and then cutting him off 2 seconds later putting his pro-PA spin on it
christ you guys, Russell and Burke go way back. regardless of his "stance" he is not a moron and his show is freaking dedicated to hockey.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
This is absolutely a must-hear interview for everyone on this board and anyone else you can get to listen to it.

Heck, if any players out there happen to read a forum like this (you never know), or if anyone reading this has any connection whatsoever to a player, they need to listen to it too. They need to hear this stuff instead of just hearing the propoganda from their union "leadership." Burke genuinely wants what's best for the players at this point too.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
ResidentAlien said:
christ you guys, Russell and Burke go way back. regardless of his "stance" he is not a moron and his show is freaking dedicated to hockey.

My point is Russell would ask a question, and Burke started to talk, and Russell didn't like what he was hearing and kept cutting him off and then asking the same question again, and then cutting him off again. Thats not how you interview someone. When you do an interview, its the guest that people want to listen to, not the host.

J-D

Feb 27, 2002
the dizzle!
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
After that interview, i want Burke to be the bearer of my children. If he can sort, and pwn over an issue like CBA, certainly he's capable of god-like feats.

Ehhhhh... :dunno:

The host of the show was completely owned from start to finish.

ResidentAlien*

bcrt2000 said:
My point is Russell would ask a question, and Burke started to talk, and Russell didn't like what he was hearing and kept cutting him off and then asking the same question again, and then cutting him off again. Thats not how you interview someone. When you do an interview, its the guest that people want to listen to, not the host.
I hear ya, and I wont pretend to know how to interview someone, I guess its that I have been listening to russell for years, and he is one of the few talk show guys that Burke and a few other notable people still agree to go on in vancouver. He is passionate and usually knows what hes talking about.
Didnt mean to sound like a jerk...im a little testy today
:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad