Brian Burke coming on CKNW just after 10pm PST / 1am EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Though, Bobby G doesnt get paid during the lockout.
Yeah, I heard that.
However...
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."
Maybe, I'm closer to the mark with "legal actions".
We'll see.
My "truth-seeking-tuning-fork" (i honed this tool while raising 3, now grown, kids) :D
tells me...
BG is only looking out for BG.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Wetcoaster said:
I said nothing about the NHLPA????????????????

How do I rate Goodenow? Let's wait until the process plays out. The last time (1995) virtually evey pundit proclaimed the NHL the winner and look how that turned out.
I don't remember that at all,i do remember the owners "backing off" in 98-99 though.
Back then BG had an ace in the hole (expansion) hanging over the owners heads. Exactly what do you think his ace is this time?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I hope the upcoming ''pa'' meeting is constructive as opposed to simply being a union pep rally with plenty of kool aid for all . :shakehead

Jazz

Isles72 said:
I hope the upcoming ''pa'' meeting is constructive as opposed to simply being a union pep rally with plenty of kool aid for all . :shakehead
Arthur Griffiths (former Canucks owner) reported today on his daily radio show that the agents who are attending the PA meeting have been forced to sign a confidentiality form so they can't discuss the content of the meetings with anyone afterwards...

Wetcoaster

OTTSENS said:
But this is 2005 and this time the owners won't crumble like a house of cards. One more thing How do you think is in the driver seat in terms of having more leverage?
You seem to have missed the point. The pundits claimed the players had crumbled in 1995. However the NHLPA was able to work the CBA to their advantage.

Leverage?? Who knows? Some owners (who are carrying a heavy debt load) obviously will have some very unhappy bankers and the NHL could lose corporate sponsors.

Wetcoaster

IceDragoon said:
I don't know what the PA's plans are...
But, I have a hunch that Bobby G is hanging on for as long as he can keep getting a paycheque.
Well it cannot be working out too well for him since he quit drawing his salary when the players were locked out. :eek:

Wetcoaster

me2 said:
And this would be different from how the NHLPA are keeping tabs on journalists who publish stories they don't like, just to get their players to avoid talking to them?
I think that was the whole point of my post - sauce for the goose and all that.

However I have yet to see any credible source for that claim.

Wetcoaster

T@T said:
I don't remember that at all,i do remember the owners "backing off" in 98-99 though.
Back then BG had an ace in the hole (expansion) hanging over the owners heads. Exactly what do you think his ace is this time?
Dive into the newspaper archives. It was the generally accepted wisdom back then.

Brian Burke has gone on about this point for years.

Wetcoaster

Gurj said:
Arthur Griffiths (former Canucks owner) reported today on his daily radio show that the agents who are attending the PA meeting have been forced to sign a confidentiality form so they can't discuss the content of the meetings with anyone afterwards...
And that would be surprising why?????

If Goodenow is going to give them a full briefing which would presumably include a discussion of future bargaining strategy so that seems to be the prudent thing to do. It would be pretty stupid not to have the agents sign and provide a penalty if they spoke out of school.

The NHLPA is forced to sign confidentiality agreements when they review any financial reports such as their review of the four NHL teams in 1999 and 2000.

SOP.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
slightly OT, but I just read the Crooked E's latest blog entry.

Thats right folks... NHLPA hockey on BRAVO. Followed by Queer Eye For The Straight Guy featuring Mike Modano and Bryan McCabe

"Bryan, Honey.. that mohawk just doesnt work for you. And blue and white? puhlease! pink is the new black. Accessorize!"

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Wetcoaster said:
You seem to have missed the point. The pundits claimed the players had crumbled in 1995. However the NHLPA was able to work the CBA to their advantage.

Gee, reason #327 why the players were stupid not to sign any one of the owner's offers. Let the owners think they've won, then let their stupidity and greed be their undoing, just like in 1995.

But no, they threw away a billion and a half dollars. :lol

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
This is a can't miss interview. Burke pulls the wraps off of the Saturday meeting fiasco. He comes across as confident, credible and convincing. The NHLPA torpedoed a scripted deal.

Last edited:

Jazz

Wetcoaster said:
Gurj said:
And that would be surprising why?????

If Goodenow is going to give them a full briefing which would presumably include a discussion of future bargaining strategy so that seems to be the prudent thing to do. It would be pretty stupid not to have the agents sign and provide a penalty if they spoke out of school.

The NHLPA is forced to sign confidentiality agreements when they review any financial reports such as their review of the four NHL teams in 1999 and 2000.

SOP.

Where did I insinuate that I found it surprising?? :dunno: I just posted it as a matter of fact....

Brent Burns Beard