Confirmed with Link: Brett Stapley Signed to a 1-Year AHL Deal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Even if it's a 1 way AHL contract? I thought when they had that type of contract, they need to grant permission to be sent down in the ECHL.

Players on AHL contracts can be sent down to the ECHL at any moment. The only difference between 1-way and 2-way deals is how much they get paid when up or down.

Stapley being signed to a 1-way deal simply means that whether he's in Laval or 3R, he gets paid the same. Players on 2-way deals get paid 1 salary when in the AHL and another in the ECHL.

As for agreeing to go down, it's players on NHL contracts that are not ELCs.

For example, Teasdale would need to agree to be sent down because he's signed to an NHL contract, but it's not an ELC.

Cam Hillis has been sent down to the ECHL last year, but since he's on his ELC, he didn't need to agree to be sent down.

Reactions: Treb and bcv

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Oh yeah and to the non believers, bah ha ha ha ha ha ha. But the team has no centre depth. Hope he has a good year and stays healthy. Hopefully Kidney,Beck and Kapenen develop

Why are you laughing at people for being right? 32 NHL teams could have signed him and they all said no thanks. He had to accept an AHL contract which is what me and others were predicting.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not much of a risk.

Just being bored, looking at stats. Hawks signed Gutman, who pretty much had the same points, slightly smaller, but appears to have gotten an NHL deal, at almost max for base salary.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not much of a risk.

Just being bored, looking at stats. Hawks signed Gutman, who pretty much had the same points, slightly smaller, but appears to have gotten an NHL deal, at almost max for base salary.

I'd say Guttman is a slightly better pro prospect, Stapley is a good playmaker but not much else. Skinny, not very strong, pushed off pucks easily. He kind of reminds me a bit of another Hab draft pick in Cole Fonstad. There's clearly offensive skill there but it's their style of game that concerns me. Very soft, not very strong physically but can really dish the puck.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Why are you laughing at people for being right? 32 NHL teams could have signed him and they all said no thanks. He had to accept an AHL contract which is what me and others were predicting.
I am laughing because you heckled Stapley would not be signed in the organization

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I am laughing because you heckled Stapley would not be signed in the organization

I was very clear that I had no problem with him on a AHL deal, but that he was not worth an ELC and looks like 32 NHL GMs agreed with me.

I don't think he's part of the Habs future and I would not be surprised if he saw time in Trois-Rivieres this year.

Reactions: Andrei79

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I was very clear that I had no problem with him on a AHL deal, but that he was not worth an ELC and looks like 32 NHL GMs agreed with me.

I don't think he's part of the Habs future and I would not be surprised if he saw time in Trois-Rivieres this year.
Sure whatever you say. You might want to reread member posts. Simply stated you don’t know what other teams proposed. It is arrogant to suggest you know. Montreal knows him best and have absolutely no depth. I would sign where I had the best chance to advance. You don’t have to be an academic all American to figure that out but Stapley is and potentially chose that path. I have a master’s degree in philosophy so do understand the tenet of logic, premise and conclusion And yes you continue to make me laugh out loud. I have an opinion Montreal has little if any depth at centre. Having Kirby Dach or Sean Monahan and nobody retreads in the AHL support the opinion. As always opinions vary and they always will in sport. Fact is Montreal has the worst winning percentage and on paper the team is not as good on paper. They will seek to release players as Allen, Dadanov, Drouin, Monahan and Byron on expiring contracts. Consequently, it will likely not get better in 2023. Just an opinion.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sure whatever you say. You might want to reread member posts. Simply stated you don’t know what other teams proposed. It is arrogant to suggest you know. Montreal knows him best and have absolutely no depth. I would sign where I had the best chance to advance. You don’t have to be an academic all American to figure that out but Stapley is and potentially chose that path. I have a master’s degree in philosophy so do understand the tenet of logic, premise and conclusion And yes you continue to make me laugh out loud.

So he rejected a NHL contract to join a team with "less depth" on an AHL deal so he could maybe even earn a NHL contract?

Montreal C pro depth chart is currently:
Suzuki
Dvorak
Dach
Monahan
Evans
Stephens
Schnarr
Mysak
Abandonato
Hillis
Beauregard
Simoneau
Leblanc
Lariviere
Joannette
Phelan
Chaulk

Where does he slide in there? Around Hillis/Beauregard? How is that an easy path?

And you have the nerve to talk about logic?

I have an opinion Montreal has little if any depth at centre. Having Kirby Dach or Sean Monahan and nobody retreads in the AHL support the opinion. As always opinions vary and they always will in sport. Fact is Montreal has the worst winning percentage and on paper the team is not as good on paper. They will seek to release players as Allen, Dadanov, Drouin, Monahan and Byron on expiring contracts. Consequently, it will likely not get better in 2023. Just an opinion.

Monahan, Dach and the "AHL retreads" are all currently better than Stapley so will most likely play over him.

The other thing you fail to grasp is that we have Davidson, Biondi and Smilanic possibly incoming next year at C. Beck, Rohrer and Kapanen the following year. That's not counting whatever picks we get in 2023 including a top one which will very likely be a C as well if the rankings stay similar.

He has a hard road to even just play C at the AHL level, let alone sniff the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
So he rejected a NHL contract to join a team with "less depth" on an AHL deal so he could maybe even earn a NHL contract?

Montreal C pro depth chart is currently:
Suzuki
Dvorak
Dach
Monahan
Evans
Stephens
Schnarr
Mysak
Abandonato
Hillis
Beauregard
Simoneau
Leblanc
Lariviere
Joannette
Phelan
Chaulk

Where does he slide in there? Around Hillis/Beauregard? How is that an easy path?

And you have the nerve to talk about logic?

Monahan, Dach and the "AHL retreads" are all currently better than Stapley so will most likely play over him.

The other thing you fail to grasp is that we have Davidson, Biondi and Smilanic possibly incoming next year at C. Beck, Rohrer and Kapanen the following year. That's not counting whatever picks we get in 2023 including a top one which will very likely be a C as well if the rankings stay similar.

He has a hard road to even just play C at the AHL level, let alone sniff the NHL.
The simple message is you don’t know. You just think you know. You have zero inside information . You simply don’t know the difference between a fact and an opinion. They conceal that information in books. Buy a few it helps. I have an opinion. Hey did you note in the professional analysts latest review only 3 other teams has a worse group of centre ice personnel. To help you out logic dictates 28 other teams are on an equal or better on balance. So my logic is not to far off on having a poor centre group. Monahan having been acquired for a first round pick is viewed as negative value. Does that help or hurt your argument? Take a glance at the sports forecaster from two years ago. Montreal has no defence personnel from 2020 forecast and only 4 of the 12 forwards. It is difficult to predict but maybe you called it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JoelWarlord

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The simple message is you don’t know. You just think you know. You have zero inside information . You simply don’t know the difference between a fact and an opinion. They conceal that information in books. Buy a few it helps. I have an opinion. Hey did you note in the professional analysts latest review only 3 other teams has a worse group of centre ice personnel. To help you out logic dictates 28 other teams are on an equal or better on balance. So my logic is not to far off on having a poor centre group. Monahan having been acquired for a first round pick is viewed as negative value. Does that help or hurt your argument?

One of the worst center depths in the league and Stapley is at the bottom of it.

He'll most likely be competing with someone like Beauregard to be the 1C in 3R.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
One of the worst center depths in the league and Stapley is at the bottom of it.

He'll most likely be competing with someone like Beauregard to be the 1C in 3R.
In your opinion. Here again no facts. Check out the definition and review what objective reality might mean. My opinion is when there are only 3 worse teams at centre you try to develop potential. My experience is anyone who has had 3 to five seasons of pro hockey development will not succeed. Stapley has had zero years of pro development. I am curious on how he could develop because there is a critical need.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The simple message is you don’t know. You just think you know. You have zero inside information . You simply don’t know the difference between a fact and an opinion. They conceal that information in books. Buy a few it helps. I have an opinion. Hey did you note in the professional analysts latest review only 3 other teams has a worse group of centre ice personnel. To help you out logic dictates 28 other teams are on an equal or better on balance. So my logic is not to far off on having a poor centre group. Monahan having been acquired for a first round pick is viewed as negative value. Does that help or hurt your argument?

But we do know, just like we knew on August 8 that Stapley wouldn't sign an ELC with the Habs.

The Habs being #29 on a professional analyst C depth chart has no bearing on my argument. Monahan having negative value has no bearing on my argument. I really don't get why you think those are relevant.

I am not arguing we have good C depth. I am arguing Stapley is so far down that C depth that he's pretty much a non factor in it. Your "logic" is that since our C depth suck, adding any C help. We aren't meaningfully deeper at C with him than we are without him, therefore he's not a meaningful add.

In your opinion. Here again no facts

We provided you fact in the other thread and you just ignored them. When asked to support your opinion of Stapley's potential with anything else than Stapley's stat sheet, you were unable to.

Disclaimer, I hope he does well and proves me wrong. He will have an hard journey ahead to do so though, as there are many established C in front and many younger Cs pushing in the back.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Where do you think he fits in the depth chart I provided? In your opinion.
I subscribe to the EOTP top 25 under 25yrs. I believe he went from 23rd to 46th. I believe there is bias as he was not signed when the ranking was set on the 15th or so date. I believe he is likely 40th. Nobody makes the NHL at 40th. I hope he develops to be a Jake Evans type. Like most players the two Covid years will limit development in all prospects. If he does not perform on 2023 he will be on his way to Europe. I see him , if he develops, as a 4th line candidate. Mysak played 22 games in the AHL. He had 2 points. Despite being a 2022 WJHC all star he projects to be fourth line. Jake Evans developed. Phoeling, another WJHC star , did not. Time will tell. I don’t subscribe to your narrative. It is not peer reviewed. The EOTP is peer reviewed. Your method appears to not be defined or peer reviewed and as such offers a significantly lower level of credibility. Just my opinion, you may see your list as credible but it is not referenced for verification. Some of the benefits of an Ivy League education.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I subscribe to the EOTP top 25 under 25yrs. I believe he went from 23rd to 46th. I believe there is bias as he was not signed when the ranking was set on the 15th or so date. I believe he is likely 40th. Nobody makes the NHL at 40th. I hope he develops to be a Jake Evans type. Like most players the two Covid years will limit development in all prospects. If he does not perform on 2023 he will be on his way to Europe. I see him , if he develops, as a 4th line candidate. Mysak played 22 games in the AHL. He had 2 points. Despite being a 2022 WJHC all star he projects to be fourth line. Jake Evans developed. Phoeling, another WJHC star , did not. Time will tell. I don’t subscribe to your narrative. It is not peer reviewed. The EOTP is peer reviewed. Your method appears to not be defined or peer reviewed and as such offers a significantly lower level of credibility. Just my opinion, you may see your list as credible but it is not referenced for verification. Some of the benefits of an Ivy League education.

EOTP is a fan site, calling it ''peer reviewed'' is hilarious.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Guys let's just see what he can do before anointing him either NHL material or the worst center on the worst team. I will remain optimistic that he will at least be a regular in Laval.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yes, Schnarr the retread at 23 years old. And Stapley, the new blood at...... 23 years old. 🤣
I admit this is some funny stuff. I guess he meant that there is more unknown potential with a guy who hasn't been tested at that level yet.

I'm happy about it, as Stapley was a successful 7th round pick, all things considered. It is nice that the story continues for him. Well deserved.

For Stapley, I guess he was happy to get to sign with the organization he thought he would evolve in for the last 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad