Player Discussion Brett Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Won't be the first time fans can't see what management does.
Some players do take time to gel into the new team/teammates.
Maybe it is something else.
I thing management lately did a good job, maybe we can be a little more patient, wait and see how things will turn out.

I know nothing fun in that. :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins return to Garden for first time since crushing loss in Game 7 of Cup Final — and win - The Boston Globe

The Bruins planned to audition Brett Ritchie on a line with David Krejci and Jake DeBrusk. But Krejci (lower-body injury) lasted only two shifts and his status has not been determined for Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils.

“I don’t think he’s serious,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. “Took a hit early on and tried to keep playing. He just felt it was better not to push through. We’ll know more tomorrow but I don’t think it was serious.”

Ritchie, though, ended up getting plenty of playing time, with Trent Frederic replacing Krejci at center.

“To me he’s as advertised, big man that will play down below the circles with the puck,” Cassidy said of Ritchie. “He’s not trying to make something happen that isn’t there. The puck hasn’t found him a lot, unfortunately. When you play with [Krejci] it tends to, so it would’ve been interesting to see how that played out with him and Jake. But didn’t happen as much. He’s been a good, steady player for us, physical on the forecheck a couple times. Those things are what he brings.”

Reactions: BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins return to Garden for first time since crushing loss in Game 7 of Cup Final — and win - The Boston Globe

The Bruins planned to audition Brett Ritchie on a line with David Krejci and Jake DeBrusk. But Krejci (lower-body injury) lasted only two shifts and his status has not been determined for Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils.

“I don’t think he’s serious,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. “Took a hit early on and tried to keep playing. He just felt it was better not to push through. We’ll know more tomorrow but I don’t think it was serious.”

Ritchie, though, ended up getting plenty of playing time, with Trent Frederic replacing Krejci at center.

“To me he’s as advertised, big man that will play down below the circles with the puck,” Cassidy said of Ritchie. “He’s not trying to make something happen that isn’t there. The puck hasn’t found him a lot, unfortunately. When you play with [Krejci] it tends to, so it would’ve been interesting to see how that played out with him and Jake. But didn’t happen as much. He’s been a good, steady player for us, physical on the forecheck a couple times. Those things are what he brings.”

After reading this 'm on the DKH Backes/Ritchie theory train. It's the only explanation.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
If they absolutely must have some 400+ pound gorilla on the roster who can't skate or score or do anything hockey related, might as well put Backes in. At least there's some hockey talent buried in there somewhere and he's still a charismatic figure guys can rally around.

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Their obsession with Ritchie is mind boggling.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He’s someone kid

He’s on the Bruins

I’m not getting it

I jumped in my buddies front row seats so I had a great vantage to watch him

Saw nothing - certainly didn’t see what Cassidy said

I’m going next two and will watch again

I’m a Neanderthal at heart but let me put it like this

I rolled up the player lineup papers they handed out and stuck it on the dasher - several times the impact knocked it off (poor Didier took several) but twice Ritchie came in for hard contact and it was maybe 10% more than Ryan Spooner

Hope I’m wrong here but Backes was better last night

I’m still not convinced Ritchie was brought in cheaply as a flier they do have interest in- but can be used to waive Backes send him to AHL and get him to retire and poof - no Cap hit no trade with assets no buy out

If he plays well tomorrow and or Saturday I’ll flip - I hsve no problem being off on my take.

I never understood why he’s here

Now I think I might

That would be super douchey and bad management IMO - what a shit signal to send to the players on the team and to potential players throughout the league.

Hoping they're talking him up and force feeding time to him to get a good overall evaluation going forward. Haven't seen much but it sounds like they're hoping Krejci can hold the puck long enough for Ritchie to get in front of the net.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That would be super *****ey and bad management IMO - what a **** signal to send to the players on the team and to potential players throughout the league.

Hoping they're talking him up and force feeding time to him to get a good overall evaluation going forward. Haven't seen much but it sounds like they're hoping Krejci can hold the puck long enough for Ritchie to get in front of the net.

Damn who knew preseason stakes were so high

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The only good thing Ritchie may end up doing for the Bruins is replacing Backes and finally getting him sent to the AHL then he just may decide to retire. If that happens, then I will be happy they signed Ritchie, because Backes is totally cooked with 2 years left of $6m/yr. cap space wasted.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The only good thing Ritchie may end up doing for the Bruins is replacing Backes and finally getting him sent to the AHL then he just may decide to retire. If that happens, then I will be happy they signed Ritchie, because Backes is totally cooked with 2 years left of $6m/yr. cap space wasted.

And that in a nutshell is the DKH theory...DK hope I understood correctly.

Reactions: bbfan419

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I assume they want to see it this guy can score some goals down low in front of the net drawing some of the dmen which will create more space for Debrusk and Krejci to play more of a skill game. With all skill and no size it's tough to get to some of those areas Richi can play in with his size

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Pretty good defensive player who doesn't have a serious concussion history like someone else and is only 26 = Low risk signing of a guy who can fill a role and take a punch...for now anyway.

If he gets a shot on the 2nd or 3rd line and doesn't contribute, he will be asked to contribute in other ways (physically) and if that doesn't happen his playing time and geography will be managed accordingly.

His coach, meanwhile, is trying to instill confidence in him. Perhaps it'll help him get more comfortable, perhaps it will make younger players work harder to round out there games and play over him.

Not sure there's all that much to get jazzed about here.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I assume they want to see it this guy can score some goals down low in front of the net drawing some of the dmen which will create more space for Debrusk and Krejci to play more of a skill game. With all skill and no size it's tough to get to some of those areas Richi can play in with his size

the only thing he did last night well was plant his arse in front of the net and not get easily pushed out of the way. He is virtually useless with the puck on his stick though, see him as a guy who kills plays when the puck is on his stick. Who knows if they`ll keep him with the big club, would have been a bit more beneficial to see him with DK who makes those around him better but didn`t happen with DK exiting so early in the game but I`m neither optimistic nor down on the signing, was one of those risk/possible reward things

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
the only thing he did last night well was plant his arse in front of the net and not get easily pushed out of the way. He is virtually useless with the puck on his stick though, see him as a guy who kills plays when the puck is on his stick. Who knows if they`ll keep him with the big club, would have been a bit more beneficial to see him with DK who makes those around him better but didn`t happen with DK exiting so early in the game but I`m neither optimistic nor down on the signing, was one of those risk/possible reward things

That seems to be the plan with him. I get they want a PF to play that game but at the end of the day they acquired a player 6 points last year and 14 the year before..DK has his work cut out for him yet again, getting him RW has been a consistent miss for the Bruins for some time. Hope Richi can make the most of this opportunity

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That seems to be the plan with him. I get they want a PF to play that game but at the end of the day they acquired a player 6 points last year..DK has his work cut out for him yet again
I think if we were in the offices of DS and company we`d hear nothing other than Ritchie will be fighting for a 4th line job

Think they were simply giving him a look with DK last night to see if there was any hope of anything developing between the two with his size etc....I actually have 0 problems with a guy like him doing little more than planting his arse in front of the opposing goalie and causing issues, it`s pretty much where he scored from when he popped 15/16 a few years back, it sure wasn`t off his end to end rushes:laugh:

But at this point, doesn`t sound to me like he`s earned even a 4th line spot

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The problem with Ritchie it seems to me is that he is the same player he was three years ago. At the time, when he first started getting looks with the Stars, you could think that there was something there. If he was 21 and a rookie, we'd all be interested in what he could do. However, he's 26 and a veteran now, and doesn't seem to have gotten much better. I was interested in how he would look on a new team with new coaching and a new environment, but so far he doesn't look any better than the 12th/13th forward he was in Dallas last year. As it stands, I wouldn't play him over Wagner/Nordstrom/Kuraly and he sure doesn't belong on the third line at this point. David Backes is still a better player than Ritchie- a bit slower but just as physical with better hands and hockey IQ.

Reactions: bbfan419

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That would be super *****ey and bad management IMO - what a **** signal to send to the players on the team and to potential players throughout the league.

You're seriously butt hurt with all this.
Why do you take it so seriously.
Ritchie is doing his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad