Player Discussion Brett Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm sure there will be times they get knocked around, but I haven't seen Ritchie hurt the team thus far. Just thought it was odd the leagues premier enforcer let that slide. Like I said before the game he's losing his fastball.

He let Kane run amuck in the last preseason game until Kane got hinself kicked out. Heck, even the Sharks goaltender got into it and hit Stone with an open ice hit.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Very interesting that Reaves did nothing all game after Ritchie got called.

I don`t think Reaves really plays that way. If Ritchie took a huge run at Fleury then I`d wager Reaves would have had a "conversation" with him but that wasn`t a play where it was clear the intent was to run over Fleury. Clearly Reaves is more than willing to go with anyone but I`ve never viewed him as a player who over reacts.....unless it`s Kane then anything goes:)

Gotta be honest, Reaves does next to nothing on the ice most nights that I get to see the Knights play which is quite a bit out here

Haven`t had too much issue with Ritchie`s game so far

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
So what I got out of that is the Bruins average 2 goals scored per 60 min with Ritchie on the ice, and allow 0 goals allowed per 60. I'll take it.
While allowing over twice as many shots on goal as they generate. That's not sustainable for a good goal differential. Couple that with an expected goals against of 4 (!!!!)...there's some regression due if Ritchie stays in the lineup.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
More advanced stats.... Ritchie has been on ice for 3 bruins goals scored (team has scored all of 7) and hasn't been on ice when the opponents scored.

I haven`t seen Ritchie do anything particularly stellar nor have I seen him do anything that hurt the team, $700,000, I`ll take it, on the flipside, a guy I really like in Debrusk needs to wake up, I know I`m not allowed to criticize him here but I want more from this kid because I know it`s in him. Doesn`t mean I expect him to be on a 50 goal pace but he can bring more

Reactions: Dr Hook and BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I haven`t seen Ritchie do anything particularly stellar nor have I seen him do anything that hurt the team, $700,000, I`ll take it, on the flipside, a guy I really like in Debrusk needs to wake up, I know I`m not allowed to criticize him here but I want more from this kid because I know it`s in him. Doesn`t mean I expect him to be on a 50 goal pace but he can bring more

yeah I pretty much laugh at DeBrusk if he and his camp are looking for a long term deal or even a short one like ADB or those other guys got.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Not all shots on goal are created equal.

That's why we look at expected goals, which account for shot type, location, game state, etc.

But also, goals are random events. You keep bleeding shots against, it doesn't matter the quality, some of them are gonna go in. The best strategy is to limit all shots against as much as possible.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So what I got out of that is the Bruins average 2 goals scored per 60 min with Ritchie on the ice, and allow 0 goals allowed per 60. I'll take it.
the Bruins have scored 7 total goals this year. That's way too little data to draw conclusions about the overall quality of a player or his impact on the games. Hell one of those goals was a bit of a softie that Ritchie scored. If his line is consistently getting out-shot or out-attempted when he's on the ice then eventually that GF ratio is gonna swing the other way because teams (or lines) typically don't outscore opponents when consistently spending more time in their own zone than in the other zone.

I think it's too early to draw conclusions from the advanced stats either fwiw. With that said the eye test to me says he has been pretty hit or miss. He's had a few smart plays & good shifts where he has been quick on pucks, forechecked well, etc. but then had plenty of shifts where the play has just died on his stick because from what I've seen so far he doesn't have the hockey IQ or the hands to keep up with the likes of Krejci or Coyle when the Bruins have the puck.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
While allowing over twice as many shots on goal as they generate. That's not sustainable for a good goal differential. Couple that with an expected goals against of 4 (!!!!)...there's some regression due if Ritchie stays in the lineup.
plus if they insist on rolling him out there with Krejci & Debrusk then he's dragging down two of our most important offensive players.

Reactions: maxl7 and LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
the Bruins have scored 7 total goals this year. That's way too little data to draw conclusions about the overall quality of a player or his impact on the games. Hell one of those goals was a bit of a softie that Ritchie scored. If his line is consistently getting out-shot or out-attempted when he's on the ice then eventually that GF ratio is gonna swing the other way because teams (or lines) typically don't outscore opponents when consistently spending more time in their own zone than in the other zone.

I think it's too early to draw conclusions from the advanced stats either fwiw. With that said the eye test to me says he has been pretty hit or miss. He's had a few smart plays & good shifts where he has been quick on pucks, forechecked well, etc. but then had plenty of shifts where the play has just died on his stick because from what I've seen so far he doesn't have the hockey IQ or the hands to keep up with the likes of Krejci or Coyle when the Bruins have the puck.

He shouldn't really be with Krejci or Coyle IMO....that's part of the issue.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Expected Goals Against per 60

albundy_shock.gif

Reactions: maxl7

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Coyle matching up against the third best line on your opponent is one of the bigger mismatches in the sport right now.

Agreed and while not ideal, if there are times when they get caught out their with an opponents top line or top 2 lines, I don`t worry too much, both he and Heinen play a very smart 200 ft game but ideally, to have him out there vs the opponents bottom 6 is simply a mismatch 9 time outta 10

Reactions: LouJersey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He shouldn't really be with Krejci or Coyle IMO....that's part of the issue.

And the other part is he really doesn't belong on what Cassidy wants the Kuraly line to be.

Cassidy wants the Kuraly line, above all else IMO, to be safe to put out against any opposing line in any zone. It allows him to use the Bergeron line in a more offensive role. So he needs to trust all 3 players on that 4th line defensively. And I don't think he's there yet with Ritchie, same as he wasn't with Backes most of last year.

Both guys (Ritchie and Backes) don't really fit what Cassidy is trying to do. When healthy he'll put Nordstrom back with Kuraly and Wagner. Neither Ritchie or Backes belong on the Krejci or Coyle lines like you said. They don't really belong on any line the way this coaches uses his 4 groups.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And the other part is he really doesn't belong on what Cassidy wants the Kuraly line to be.

Cassidy wants the Kuraly line, above all else IMO, to be safe to put out against any opposing line in any zone. It allows him to use the Bergeron line in a more offensive role. So he needs to trust all 3 players on that 4th line defensively. And I don't think he's there yet with Ritchie, same as he wasn't with Backes most of last year.

Both guys (Ritchie and Backes) don't really fit what Cassidy is trying to do. When healthy he'll put Nordstrom back with Kuraly and Wagner. Neither Ritchie or Backes belong on the Krejci or Coyle lines like you said. They don't really belong on any line the way this coaches uses his 4 groups.

You know what the answer is, don't you? Just say it: PAR LINDHOLM!!!! :naughty:

Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad