Prospect Info: Brett McKenzie (Center) (7th round, 194th Overall)

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
At least he can grow a beard which is a good sign. Obviously having a beard doesn't make you a better hockey player (so don't take my comments out of context). But it certainly shows more testosterone which is a change from our current passive, weak, baby faced team we've been icing for the last 5 years.

yeah man, just look at sidney crosby's poor excuse for a beard...what a weak, passive player he sure is. glad we don't have him! u don't win with players like that!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If anyone took the bait I feel the need to inject some science (and I'm bored really really bored at home with a sick kid)....

Testosterone levels are essentially the same in all men. At least not at a difference that would result in beard growth vs no beard growth (ignoring supplements and hormone imbalances). The difference is genetics...how ones body responds to testosterone, follicle pattern etc. People who are sensitive to testosterone may have a better beard or more hair growth...they will also go bald early. Baby faced folks may not have a great beard but will be rocking a full head of hair at 90 years old.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Kinda getting more optimistic about this guy thanks for sharing :)

np ;)

here's more from past week. game vs Guelph, Niagara and Oshawa
nothing to show for in terms of scoring goals but still complied a pretty decent highlight wheel stuff
Guelph was probably the bad game
outgunned vs Niagara. his team took a bunch of penalties. Brett was monster in defensive game (when he's not tired)
vs Oshawa
1st period was meh, but he woke up mid second after having a monster penalty kill shift couldve thought he had a goal or two

His team is looking outside the playoffs right now and they r slumping pretty bad
need to have his playoff beard now

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Hopefully he gets into a few games with Utica (or even a few playoff games). :) Very intrigued with this prospect.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The ATO is just for this season.

He'd need to be signed to an AHL-only deal or an ELC for next year to stay in our organization as he's not currently signed.

Thanks! :)

Hes had an impressive overager season hopefully he gets signed again for next year

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is good,especially with our lousy center depth right now.If McKenzie can come in and be an improvement on Cassels then this is a win for the organization.

I highly doubt he's given a single game unless we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Like, I'd honestly be shocked.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I highly doubt he's given a single game unless we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Like, I'd honestly be shocked.

You're probably right...unless Utica absolutely needs him for an injury replacement, he's likely just going to practice with the team and watch games from the press box.
I'm hoping he could slot in during one of the 3 in 3 weekend games to rest one of the 4th liners if one of them needs a break and we're low on spare forwards.He can also play wing so he's versatile.

It would be nice to see what we have and if he's worth a contract but yeah,as long as the Comets are chasing a playoff spot,TG will most likely play the known entities.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
This is good,especially with our lousy center depth right now.If McKenzie can come in and be an improvement on Cassels then this is a win for the organization.

The funny thing is a lot of his comparable are similar to Cassels just before Cassels joined the Comets. Problem for Cassels is he just stopped developing. Remember Cassels, when he joined Utica, was considered one of the best 2 way centers in Jr and was assigned to shadowing McDavid. He had 81 points in 54 games in his final season (plus 31 in 21 playoff games), which is actually MORE than McKenzie.

That should be something to consider before having high expectations for McKenzie. Of course i doubt too many players will just suddenly stop improving after finishing their Jr career like Cassels.

As far as McKenzie playing, i doubt he sees any playoff action but i do expect him to play in the regular season. Utica has a pretty brutal schedule (in the form of 3 games in 3 nights). They have 3 sets of 3x3 so i expect McKenzie to play at least 3 games (1 game per set). Being realistic, its pretty hard for any professional hockey player to play all 3 games and most of the time, ones that try often become useless by the 3rd period of the 3rd game.

Side note, also remember Utica signed Max French to an ATO. He was Bentley's captain this year and scored 47 pts in 32 games last year + 39 in 38 this year. He probably will play a much bigger role for Utica than McKenzie considering NCAA players generally have a bigger impact right away than Jr players. He was signed a week ago so i'm guessing he had a full week of practice now under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad