Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Looks good thus far. The problem with these young d-men is consistency.

FYI Consistency wasn't usually a problem with Kulak. Last year he was arguably more consistently solid than Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, Hamonic, or Stone.

If he has a weakness it's that his shot can't hit the darn net in the offensive zone. Playing with Weber could offset that.

He’s a good player. Calgary didn’t waive him because he was bad; he was just behind Valimaki and Stone. He’s not a first-pairing D, but I can see him handling the job this season.

He wasn't behind Stone. But Stone makes 3.5 M for the next two years, so we're stuck with Stone.

I've been very pleasantly surprised so far. He's got decent size, mobility and pretty much everything else at a decent level. He's not the spectacular type or anything remotely close to it but playing with Weber you do want a guy that can keep it simple over 25+ minutes every night. Not saying he's the long term solution or anything but he can keep being a stopgap for now in my book. He's still only 24 so some upward mobility is still possible.

The player I always compared Kulak to was Brian Dumoulin. Like Dumoulin he's not a "true" top pair guy but he can play that role as a sidekick to an elite #1 (Letang is... maybe Weber still is IDK). In many ways, you guys got in Brett Kulak what your GM thought you were getting but everyone knew you weren't getting in Alzner.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I gotta say that he has exceeded my expectations so far. Great trade

still early since we just have to look at the Reilly thread, people were calling it one of MB's best moves and then 3 weeks later they wonder if he would make it as a the 7th D. Kulak played well in Laval but he seems like more of a 6th/7th type although playing with Weber should improve almost anyone's game.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
still early since we just have to look at the Reilly thread, people were calling it one of MB's best moves and then 3 weeks later they wonder if he would make it as a the 7th D. Kulak played well in Laval but he seems like more of a 6th/7th type although playing with Weber should improve almost anyone's game.

I think Montreal's viewpoint right now is that if Emelin was looking good next to Weber for an extended period of time two seasons ago, then Weber can take mediocre defensemen and elevate their game. Which is why I think they had plans to put Schlemko with Weber last year when they traded with Vegas to get him.

In Kulak's case, he responds more to the game of today in that he skates well and moves the puck and isn't clueless defensively. And he's only 24 years old. Though, as you bring up Reilly as a good example. Although I think Kulak is more well-rounded than Reilly. But I agree with your point that we shouldn't be so quick to declare anyone as Weber's partner a few games into that partnership.

MB in his presser yesterday did say that the scouts liked Kulak last year when he was with Calgary, hence why they made the trade for him. And he also said that he's shown improvement this year saying he has more poise with the puck and his gap control has improved from last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Montreal's viewpoint right now is that if Emelin was looking good next to Weber for an extended period of time two seasons ago, then Weber can take mediocre defensemen and elevate their game. Which is why I think they had plans to put Schlemko with Weber last year when they traded with Vegas to get him.

In Kulak's case, he responds more to the game of today in that he skates well and moves the puck and isn't clueless defensively. And he's only 24 years old. Though, as you bring up Reilly as a good example. Although I think Kulak is more well-rounded than Reilly. But I agree with your point that we shouldn't be so quick to declare anyone as Weber's partner a few games into that partnership.

MB in his presser yesterday did say that the scouts liked Kulak last year when he was with Calgary, hence why they made the trade for him. And he also said that he's shown improvement this year saying he has more poise with the puck and his gap control has improved from last year.

Reilly has always been the offensive D with suspect decisions in his own end. Kulak turns 25 in less then a month but he's been more of the steady, safe defensemen with some offensive upside from the looks of his stats.

Reactions: Tyson

Jul 6, 2016
We will have to live with what we have now and hope for the best. The right side is solid.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think his upside is way more than Reilly’s. Reilly just does not possess the hockey smarts, now I see why Minnesota gave him away for a bucket of pucks and a Howie Meeker poster.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I had the impression that some videos were on the NHL.com Habs section, about Kulak, had Weber being mentioned.
Like I mean, it seems that they asked him about Weber every time.

The last 4 times out of his 7 appearance anyway. lol

Oddly, the 7 video is Kulak taking a shot at Price, while he was in Calgary. #61
Kulak interview.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think his upside is way more than Reilly’s. Reilly just does not possess the hockey smarts, now I see why Minnesota gave him away for a bucket of pucks and a Howie Meeker poster.

Julien seems to be at his wit's end with Reilly... It would be fantastic if he could play like he did at the start of the season all the time. But he's getting up their in years, may just be his make up. At least Drouin seems to be turning it around. I still want to see him paired with Weber to see if that can stabilize him and lead to that mental growth he needs to make to take his game to the next level.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reilly has always been the offensive D with suspect decisions in his own end. Kulak turns 25 in less then a month but he's been more of the steady, safe defensemen with some offensive upside from the looks of his stats.
You hear Bergevin on 690 pre game show tonight? Said he picked up Kulak because he was NHL skater thought if he hung onto puck more be better NHL player.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
A wall. In the right place at the right time. Never panicking. Simple plays. Surely, a how to defend properly GPS insered on Kulak's heart.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
You hear Bergevin on 690 pre game show tonight? Said he picked up Kulak because he was NHL skater thought if he hung onto puck more be better NHL player.
When he was coming up the flames system, he was very highly touted. Then they traded for all those dmen and he got lost in the shuffle. Still young and lots of potential.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Eating tough minutes, not getting roasted by top line opponents, looking confident rather than just playing to survive. Possible victim of Weber's Jedi Mind Trick?

"You are a top pairing defender. These aren't the scrubs you're looking for."

Reactions: ChoseLa

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Eating tough minutes, not getting roasted by top line opponents, looking confident rather than just playing to survive. Possible victim of Weber's Jedi Mind Trick?

"You are a top pairing defender. These aren't the scrubs you're looking for."
I trust him more than Benn, Schlemko and Reilly (which is almost kinda sad).

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Should be thanking Weber every night before he goes to bed for his NHL career. Wtf was he doing on the second goal clearing the crease as the puck is going cross ice, to his side? If MB gets a LD to play with Weber , Kulak is out of the league 100%.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Should be thanking Weber every night before he goes to bed for his NHL career. Wtf was he doing on the second goal clearing the crease as the puck is going cross ice, to his side? If MB gets a LD to play with Weber , Kulak is out of the league 100%.
Kane was Drouin's responsibility on that goal.Weber had skated up to the hash marks and Kulak had to clear the crease. He did nothing wrong on that play. Drouin was caught napping.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Relook the sequence closely and carefully.

Reactions: Habs Icing

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Relook the sequence closely and carefully.

I am familiar with that coverage, Kulak is playing pee wee hockey and should have reacted to Weber playing across his side. There was only one way for the puck to go, cross ice. They aren’t playing man to man coverage, clearing a guy that is no threat is a rookie play. You partner is chasing the puck carrier you get to the center of the ice and go from there.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

His playing vs top line when he is a #5-6 ... give him a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad