Brett Connolly

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Steve was hired a couple of days into the combine and the team scheduled their player interviews the Thursday and later to allow Yzerman to partake.

Ah, okay. Thanks. Couldn't recall the exact date. He obviously was impressed enough with Connolly as a person to approve the pick.

Not to mention Yzerman would have attended all Detroit's meetings during the season....its not like he didnt have an idea of Connolly's talent, but it seems as if his BC scouts played a large role in the pick.

Well I don't know how much information that would have given him given the fact that Detroit hasn't drafted in the top 10 for like 20 years. Don't think Detroit was focusing or sending a ton of scouts out to watch those top tier guys. Besides the point though.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Having watched that piece with the Bolts selection.....I think Connolly was just not really comfortable with spotlight and the interview.

His "attitude" issues, might be more of a myth than anything else...

Cudo

Apr 30, 2010
Saskatchewan
Does anyone know where Connolly was ranked in this year's Future Watch?
I don't think it's been posted in the FW thread.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
He just seems dumb, not someone who has attitude issues.

It's kinda funny that Steve Y drafted Connolly then.....because while Yzerman comes with high esteem in the hockey community, he's never really been the sharpest tool in the shed either...

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
It's kinda funny that Steve Y drafted Connolly then.....because while Yzerman comes with high esteem in the hockey community, he's never really been the sharpest tool in the shed either...

You could say that about the vast majority of the players. Obviously not an important criteria in excelling in sports.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
You could say that about the vast majority of the players. Obviously not an important criteria in excelling in sports.

Your absolutely right.

I've just had a few favorite players of mine, namely, Iginla and Cammalleri who are very well spoken for NHL hockey players....

but yah, Yzerman is probably moreso among the majority then the minority....

anyway, my point was actually that the poster who said that Connolly was kinda dumb or whatever......was irrelevant....

Connolly can sound, dull, boring, dumb, and full of cliches......because there have been a lot of damn good hockey players that sound like they are relatively dumb and have had great careers. Yzerman is but one example...

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I do not know what's all this talk about Connolly and Yzerman being "dumb". Well spoken =/= smart, *far* from it. There is also different kinds of smart. Yzerman is clearly top notch hockey smart, successfully changing his game many times in his career to overcome huge challenges. He is also top notch people smart, used to be one of the best leaders and now one of the best managers in the NHL.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I do not know what's all this talk about Connolly and Yzerman being "dumb". Well spoken =/= smart, *far* from it. There is also different kinds of smart. Yzerman is clearly top notch hockey smart, successfully changing his game many times in his career to overcome huge challenges. He is also top notch people smart, used to be one of the best leaders and now one of the best managers in the NHL.

+1

Great Point

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
i bet he wishes he took Fowler now. i coulda made that pick.

and with Connolly's injury history, no one should have picked him that high.. i didnt like the pick, but maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Nothing against Fowler as the times I have seen him play live I could count on a couple of fingers but having seen Connolly play every game of his WHL career ... live and on the tube I think Stevie Y. made a great selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad