Brett Connolly

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Obviously he doesn't look as good as Skinner moving forward....but Connolly seems a little like a forgotten man...

Behind other 2010 First Rounders like Hall, Fowler, Skinner, Burmistrov, Seguin etc all making some impacts with their NHL teams already, Connolly doesn't seem to get much recognition...

and he was mainly a role player, on a role player loaded WJC Silver winning squad.

Anyways, Connolly has some excellent WHL numbers this year 53 40 23 63

40 goals on a pretty bad Prince George team.

Just wondering how everyone sees him developing? Has he managed to stay healthy this year....?

There were concerns over his Hip and his Bionic Hand..but he seems to be robo-cop-ing enough goals with it....

Where does he play next year, and how far is he from the show?

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
From the handful of games (4 PG Cougars and the WJC) Connolly strikes me as a guy that has the skills but hasn't put it all together. Still floats around alot, needs to assert himself into the play more. He scores lots of goals because he's anticipating the pass rather than making the play. Has the tools needs the determination and that could easily be turned on like a light switch sometimes and sometimes its a blown fuse.

Just a note the Prince George games I was looking for #28s play. At the WJC #7, 10, 16, 31, 12 and 19... 28 was an observation, #25 was absolutely terrible.

GXL

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Just a note the Prince George games I was looking for #28s play. At the WJC #7, 10, 16, 31, 12 and 19... 28 was an observation, #25 was absolutely terrible.

GXL

what are those numbers signifying? Sorry if I am missing something...Are those the Jersey numbers of the players you were following?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Eh, I havn't seen him too much this year (probably only 5 games or so), but I wouldn't say that he has been impressive. Even statistically, he hasn't shown any improvement over the year before. His PPG is almost identical at about 1.18, and as an overager he doesn't dominate the play like you expect a kid drafted 6th overall to.

I dunno, I suppose he missed most of last year anyway, but I think he needs some more work before he thinks of making the National Hockey League. not to say he won't make it, but I would expect he plays another year in the Dub next year, then probably a year or two in the AHL.

It is obvious that he is a goal scorer, and that he has all the tools to be dangerous, but he isn't quite there at this point in time.

Obviously he doesn't look as good as Skinner moving forward....but Connolly seems a little like a forgotten man...

Behind other 2010 First Rounders like Hall, Fowler, Skinner, Burmistrov, Seguin etc all making some impacts with their NHL teams already, Connolly doesn't seem to get much recognition...

and he was mainly a role player, on a role player loaded WJC Silver winning squad.

Anyways, Connolly has some excellent WHL numbers this year 53 40 23 63

40 goals on a pretty bad Prince George team.

Just wondering how everyone sees him developing? Has he managed to stay healthy this year....?

There were concerns over his Hip and his Bionic Hand..but he seems to be robo-cop-ing enough goals with it....Where does he play next year, and how far is he from the show?

LOL. Robocoping.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Hes not in the NHL this year like Skinny Hall and Seguin because TB didnt need his services to create offense like the other teams. So they are giving him more time to develop.

He might get 9 games next year but I would say the following season is when he makes his debut to play full time. Next year is still a possibility but he would have to really impress and it would depend on what happens with some of our UFA players.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Hes not in the NHL this year like Skinny Hall and Seguin because TB didnt need his services to create offense like the other teams. So they are giving him more time to develop.

He might get 9 games next year but I would say the following season is when he makes his debut to play full time. Next year is still a possibility but he would have to really impress and it would depend on what happens with some of our UFA players.

Boston hardly needed Seguin this year.

Connolly's not in the NHL this year because he wasn't ready.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
The kid can play hockey, but he strikes me as a person with an IQ of 70 (max) and a possible locker room problem when I look at his attitude when he's giving interviews....

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
The kid can play hockey, but he strikes me as a person with an IQ of 70 (max) and a possible locker room problem when I look at his attitude when he's giving interviews....

I get the same feeling, if he were not to stick with the big club after the tryout stint he also does not strike me as someone who would motivate himself to hit the gym, not that he would need to be on a level with Crosby and Stamkos but some sign of dedication would be nice, hopefully he beefs up in the summer

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I get the same feeling, if he were not to stick with the big club after the tryout stint he also does not strike me as someone who would motivate himself to hit the gym, not that he would need to be on a level with Crosby and Stamkos but some sign of dedication would be nice, hopefully he beefs up in the summer

BC spends alot of time in the gym and has put in huge hours training to return from injuries.
Fitness and dedication are not anything he lacks.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I dont know how anyone can say given his hip problem that he lacks dedication to put in the effort to get better. Where do you get off saying that exactly? Comes off a bit cocky but Yzerman should be a good judge of that angle. Given his time off last season, he needed a full WHL season w/o pressure. He could play in the NHL next yr but may depend on what they do with Gagne. From training camp, he was close. Has a style that is suited more to the pros than jr. and would do excel with better linemates.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Yah he also rubs me the wrong way, with his attitude etc...

However, maybe it's a don't judge a book by it's cover situation.

My take is that Connolly has immense upside, however I hope he's not too much of a one dimensional(goal scoring) forward, furthermore I believe Connolly is VERY RAW, and needs another year of Junior or at the very least a full uniterrupted year in the AHL.

I believe any notion that BC can play in the NHL next year is a little far fetched. But, I've been wrong before....

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Yah he also rubs me the wrong way, with his attitude etc...However, maybe it's a don't judge a book by it's cover situation.

My take is that Connolly has immense upside, however I hope he's not too much of a one dimensional(goal scoring) forward, furthermore I believe Connolly is VERY RAW, and needs another year of Junior or at the very least a full uniterrupted year in the AHL.

I believe any notion that BC can play in the NHL next year is a little far fetched. But, I've been wrong before....

his attitude? an example being....?

arsmaster*

I dont feel the way others do, but I bet it has to do with how polite he is during interviews, its obvious he doesnt care much about pumping his own tires or chatting with media types and it comes accross during interviews.

Frankly, I could care less...he is a good player, with outstanding NHL upside....he is a scorer, if he ever got to play with Marty St Louis for extended time, you would see how clinical his ability to finish off plays are....to me, I dont need a nice guy, I need a 'player' and Brett is that!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

At the NHL draft interview where he was chewing gum and seemed to have this face like he was pissed at the world(as if somebody stole his sucker) I think turned off a few people

Last edited:

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
WTF is up with the alleged attitude issues regarding this guy?

Sure he may not be the most comfortable guy in front of the media, which I guess is where you guys are taking your impressions from, but by all accounts of teammates and scouts, he is a great locker room guy and has good leadership intangibles. Some people feel like he doesn't show up all the time but I wouldn't be surprised if he is just still readjusting to the grueling schedule since he's missed so much time previous seasons.

I have no idea where you guys are taking this from.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
At the NHL draft interview where he was chewing gum and seemed to have this face like he was pissed at the world(as if somebody stole his sucker) I think turned off a few people

I do not know how polite and nervous somehow turns people off.

Each to their own......it certainly never turned off Stevie Y.

Cudo

Apr 30, 2010
Saskatchewan
WTF is up with the alleged attitude issues regarding this guy?

Sure he may not be the most comfortable guy in front of the media, which I guess is where you guys are taking your impressions from, but by all accounts of teammates and scouts, he is a great locker room guy and has good leadership intangibles. Some people feel like he doesn't show up all the time but I wouldn't be surprised if he is just still readjusting to the grueling schedule since he's missed so much time previous seasons.

I have no idea where you guys are taking this from.

Has anything ever been said about Jon Merrill wearing a polo shirt to his draft? lol
talk about nonchalant.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I do not know how polite and nervous somehow turns people off.

Each to their own......it certainly never turned off Stevie Y.

How much of the decision was Stevie Y's? Wasn't he hired like two or three weeks before the draft (can't recall exactly)? I don't know if he was at the combine or not or if he saw these top picks play much, but I sort of get the impression he left this one to the scouts that were there before he got there.

But who knows, obviously none of us were at that table.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
How much of the decision was Stevie Y's? Wasn't he hired like two or three weeks before the draft (can't recall exactly)? I don't know if he was at the combine or not or if he saw these top picks play much, but I sort of get the impression he left this one to the scouts that were there before he got there.

But who knows, obviously none of us were at that table.

Steve was hired a couple of days into the combine and the team scheduled their player interviews the Thursday and later to allow Yzerman to partake.

arsmaster*

Steve was hired a couple of days into the combine and the team scheduled their player interviews the Thursday and later to allow Yzerman to partake.

Not to mention Yzerman would have attended all Detroit's meetings during the season....its not like he didnt have an idea of Connolly's talent, but it seems as if his BC scouts played a large role in the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad