Brett Connolly.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's supremely skilled, but some nights he just doesn't care. At all. He's not engaging physically, he isn't committing to the defensive game. This is why I think he'll be left off Team Canada, in spite of the fact that he's tied for 3rd in the dub in goals.

He's a first line prospect for sure, could easily find his way into Tampa's top-six next year and produce, but to be THE game breaker he's capable of being, he needs to up his compete level.

All of this, obviously, IMO.

Much better skater and not as lazy. Connolly is a fairly good skater, that and his shooting ability make him a very strong prospect. He hasnt done as well as I expected in the dub this year, but then again the dub is a very strong league.

No, he's absolutely as lazy. The Cougars simply can't count on him showing up every night. It really is a story of "what Connolly are we going to get?".

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
He's supremely skilled, but some nights he just doesn't care. At all. He's not engaging physically, he isn't committing to the defensive game. This is why I think he'll be left off Team Canada, in spite of the fact that he's tied for 3rd in the dub in goals.

He's a first line prospect for sure, could easily find his way into Tampa's top-six next year and produce, but to be THE game breaker he's capable of being, he needs to up his compete level.

All of this, obviously, IMO.

No, he's absolutely as lazy. The Cougars simply can't count on him showing up every night. It really is a story of "what Connolly are we going to get?".

Really?
Rather strange that Steve Yzerman has a totally different opinion of him is it not?
I have watched most of his games over the last 2-3 years, had dozens of conversations with PG staff, seen him train, work with players he trains with, work with one of his team mates I tend to agree with Stevie Y's view of BC.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Really?
Rather strange that Steve Yzerman has a totally different opinion of him is it not?
I have watched most of his games over the last 2-3 years, had dozens of conversations with PG staff, seen him train, work with players he trains with, work with one of his team mates I tend to agree with Stevie Y's view of BC.

This isn't something I would have said about a 16 year old Brett Connolly, but if you think he's actually showing up every night in the dub this year, you're just flat out wrong. There are nights where his name isn't called, and at this stage in his career, there shouldn't be.

I'm not the only one who thinks this (skip to about half way through the audio file)

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
This isn't something I would have said about a 16 year old Brett Connolly, but if you think he's actually showing up every night in the dub this year, you're just flat out wrong. There are nights where his name isn't called, and at this stage in his career, there shouldn't be.

I'm not the only one who thinks this (skip to about half way through the audio file)

Lets be real here....you do know who Sam is correct?

He is a baseball guy that now does some hockey work for Sportsnet out east.
He is a broadcaster not a scout, a player, a GM etc. etc.

How many times do you think he would have attended a Prince George Cougars game this year? If you answered less than 2 I bet you would be correct.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lets be real here....you do know who Sam is correct?

He is a baseball guy that now does some hockey work for Sportsnet out east.
He is a broadcaster not a scout, a player, a GM etc. etc.

How many times do you think he would have attended a Prince George Cougars game this year? If you answered less than 2 I bet you would be correct.

It's not just his opinion. It's what people are telling him. And the TPS boys (Dean Millard and Guy Flaming, who both have accounts here) say they had heard the same thing.

Regardless, I'm not basing my opinion off of theirs. I've seen and heard enough to feel that Connolly hasn't displayed a consistent effort this season.

There is a reason he is far from a lock to make this team.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
From what I've seen he's kind of a floater in the offensive zone, very effective on the PP, kind of like Heatley. Not sure lazy is the correct word, more like unchallenged. But there is a risk with guys like that, sometimes they just dont raise their intensity at the next level. Time will tell.

madpooh

May 30, 2007
Only seen him play a couple times, and somebody mentioned him before but he seems very similar to me to Joffrey Lupul.

Laino

Jul 5, 2010
I really like him, hope he gets to play in the wjc, reminds me of Kessel, though :X

He'll hopefully be a consistent 30 goal scorer with a couple seasons pushing 40

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
It's not just his opinion. It's what people are telling him. And the TPS boys (Dean Millard and Guy Flaming, who both have accounts here) say they had heard the same thing.

Regardless, I'm not basing my opinion off of theirs. I've seen and heard enough to feel that Connolly hasn't displayed a consistent effort this season.

There is a reason he is far from a lock to make this team.

The TPS boys as you refer to them actually are very knowledgeable hockey people and watch alot of WHL hockey.....Sam doesn't.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The TPS boys as you refer to them actually are very knowledgeable hockey people and watch alot of WHL hockey.....Sam doesn't.

Those very knowledgeable hockey people regularly refer to Sam Constantino as their CHL Insider because he works the OHL and knows people who actually are, you know, on the inside.

But don't let that stop you from not reading the posts you quote, we'll just reconvene in 12 hours when I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Brett Connolly's name on a list of cuts.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Those very knowledgeable hockey people regularly refer to Sam Constantino as their CHL Insider because he works the OHL and knows people who actually are, you know, on the inside.

But don't let that stop you from not reading the posts you quote, we'll just reconvene in 12 hours when I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Brett Connolly's name on a list of cuts.

Reconvening now

27theROCK

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Only seen him play a couple times, and somebody mentioned him before but he seems very similar to me to Joffrey Lupul.

+1! Connolly is exactly like Lupul.

I also agree the with other posters in I am slightly concerned with the fact that Connolly is so inconsistant. I dont know if that is becuas he does not put in the effort or what but its a big issue when looking at a young guy IMO.

Sammy*

By all accounts, playing more than his fair share like a lazy dog this year.

Staalguy

May 15, 2010
Canada
all i can say is that i was extreamly pissed off when we didnt take Fowler....I am feeling much better about it now though

easily one of the guys that can be underestimated and then sneak up and be a breakout star

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

BC plays in the WHL not the OHL and as I said Sam's viewings of him are rare.
Sorry I did not respond until now as I was out of town.

Not reading the posts I quote???

By now you have obviously heard that BC will be wearing the Maple Leaf.
Not a surprise to those that watch him play regularily.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He seems unchallenged at the moment. When he spent his time in Tampa he certainly stood out, but a lack of size really held him back. Guys are always looking for someone to crush to stand out in the preseason and he got the bulk of it.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
He seems unchallenged at the moment. When he spent his time in Tampa he certainly stood out, but a lack of size really held him back. Guys are always looking for someone to crush to stand out in the preseason and he got the bulk of it.

He is 6'2" and over 200 lbs........hardly lacking in size.

hefsbeaver

Jun 20, 2009
he is a very talented hockey player with great hockey IQ. I could see him being a first liner with the lightning for years to come. He has size and the ability to be very good. I think he will lead Canada in scoring at the wjc. I have never heard the term lazy when describing him nor have I noticed it when I watch him play. My opinion is that if he was healthy last year he would have gone in the top three of the draft.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
all i can say is that i was extreamly pissed off when we didnt take Fowler....I am feeling much better about it now though

easily one of the guys that can be underestimated and then sneak up and be a breakout star

Same, I was really hoping for Fowler after he'd been passed 3 times.

But unlike you I feel worse, as Fowler is making an impact in the NHL already. Fowlers a high contender for the calder this year, I don't think people noticed that prior to last night he had more points then Taylor Hall and is on pace for 48 points this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad