Brett Connolly.

jcarbone

Mar 8, 2010
What are everyones thoughts on him?
Potential to be a 1st liner?
Boom or bust type prospect.... just looking for any info on him.

I know he essentially lost all of last season due to injuries, but is now leading Prince George with 36 points in 30 games.
Netting 22 goals isn't to bad either, but stats don't always tell the full story.

What are peoples opinions on him and his future in the NHL?

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
All I know is he's a weird mofo.

care to elaborate?

Basically, for a guy who lost an entire year before being drafted, he was most certainly drafted based on what he could have been, not what he was. A complete boom/bust pick in my opinion. I think he will pan out, but I don't think he will be all that he could have. One of those guys who I think could have gone 2nd or 3rd last year had he played....or completely fallen off the map and gone in the 20s.

He's just over a PPG this year which I think is a tad disappointing given his draft status last year. He should be in the top twenty. I think he'll get better as the year progresses and he gets into better game condition.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
I love Connolly. A big goal scoring winger. Kind of like Nathan Horton but a better skater. I think he makes the first line as soon as St. Louis retires.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He's just over a PPG this year which I think is a tad disappointing given his draft status last year. He should be in the top twenty. I think he'll get better as the year progresses and he gets into better game condition.

30 goals as a rookie in 65 games

10 goals 16 games

22 goals in 30 games

I'd be interested to know how many guys have put up 50 goals in the dub as 18 year olds. or 45 considering guys who miss for the WJC. It's probably not actually that rare a feat...Nigel Dawes comes to mind, but he was 5'9. Connolly will be a pretty big guy.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Points aren't really where you're going to notice Connolly the most because he's not much of a passer. He's a pure bred shooter and he has 22 goals in 30 games, good for 3rd in the Dub. And it isn't like the WHL is easiest place to play in the world anyways. The league has a lot of talent. Probably more talent than its had in a long time. Even guys like Johansen, Niederreiter, Etem, Ashton, etc. aren't ripping it apart.

He is a year of development behind most of these guys he's against in terms of comparisons, and he's more than holding his own. To the extent that I could see him as a real threat to make Tampa out of camp next season with some work.

There was a reason that a kid who had a questionable medical history to say the VERY least, missed the entire season, and didn't interview as well as he could have only slipped to 6th in the entire draft and that's because his raw skill puts him in rare territory.

Those that hold his prior injuries and transgressions against his evaluation now will do so at their own peril. He's due to have a coming out party for a pretty depleted Canadian WJC team.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
30 goals as a rookie in 65 games

10 goals 16 games

22 goals in 30 games

I'd be interested to know how many guys have put up 50 goals in the dub as 18 year olds. or 45 considering guys who miss for the WJC. It's probably not actually that rare a feat...Nigel Dawes comes to mind.

I remember going back a while back when Drayson Bowman was on pace to do it and finding the most recent was Lupul and Dawes was up there too. Fehr had a pretty nice year once too. Needless to say, it's pretty damn rare to see a player able to fill the net with that kind of proficiency. And for those that have done it, it's a pretty strong indicator of success at higher levels.

Not to mention Connolly was the first 16 year old since Marleau if memory serves to pop 30 goals in the dub.

jcarbone

Mar 8, 2010
Points aren't really where you're going to notice Connolly the most because he's not much of a passer. He's a pure bred shooter and he has 22 goals in 30 games, good for 3rd in the Dub. And it isn't like the WHL is easiest place to play in the world anyways. The league has a lot of talent. Probably more talent than its had in a long time. Even guys like Johansen, Niederreiter, Etem, Ashton, etc. aren't ripping it apart.

He is a year of development behind most of these guys he's against in terms of comparisons, and he's more than holding his own. To the extent that I could see him as a real threat to make Tampa out of camp next season with some work.

There was a reason that a kid who had a questionable medical history to say the VERY least, missed the entire season, and didn't interview as well as he could have only slipped to 6th in the entire draft and that's because his raw skill puts him in rare territory.

Those that hold his prior injuries and transgressions against his evaluation now will do so at their own peril. He's due to have a coming out party for a pretty depleted Canadian WJC team.

You said, he only slipped to 6th.
So how would you compare Connolly to the top 3 projected to go in this years draft?

Think he's on the same level as Couturier? Larsson? RNH?

BadHammy*

People won't like this comparison but think Dino Ciccarelli with a better shot.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
You said, he only slipped to 6th.
So how would you compare Connolly to the top 3 projected to go in this years draft?

Think he's on the same level as Couturier? Larsson? RNH?

That is a very diverse group of prospects there. I think RNH is going to be a very strong set up man. Probably one of the most skilled pure passers to come out in a long time. I see him as a franchise talent that I do not see Connolly as being. Larsson is a wild card. I haven't seen enough of him this season to draw any reasonable conclusions. I'll be watching for him at the WJC to see how he does, but if he's as impressive this year as he was last year then he's also probably out of Connolly's league.

Connolly is a great consolation prize in any draft in my opinion. He's one of those guys that isn't going to be in the discussion for 1st overall, but he's a comfortable pick anywhere in the 2nd to 5th range. Valuable goal scoring forward but not a complete offensive game.

TrollololBoyle

Mar 22, 2010
Danbury, CT
Connolly is my favorite player from the 2010 draft. I think he could easily get 30G 30A in his prime, I don't know how much higher than that he can go though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Creepy_hand_edited_by_dinkybruiser.jpg

The claw!

cheechoo1860

Feb 5, 2009
www.forumice.com
There is allot of Dany Heatly in him, the SJ version.

Much better skater and not as lazy. Connolly is a fairly good skater, that and his shooting ability make him a very strong prospect. He hasnt done as well as I expected in the dub this year, but then again the dub is a very strong league.

Everytime I have watched him play, he seems to own the ice quite well and is always the most dangerous player on the ice for both teams. Even if he doesnt score, he is always a threat and creates chances for himself.

I could see him making the Lightning next year. Connolly-Stamkos-St Louis would be a pretty wicked line. But I might move him to the second line with Lecavalier when he returns next year from yet another injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad