Waived: Brett Connolly

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Something new that’s happened lately is the waiving-clearing-trading of players, once a player has successfully cleared he becomes a more attractive acquisition…team acquiring him has the knowledge that he can be sent down no problem…Wallmark last year is a perfect example…

needle

Apr 30, 2012
No, we got Borgstrom and Stillman.

That was the whole point of absorbing Connolly's contract.

Why did Stan need to take on a $3.5M salary cap hit ($2.375M buried) for 2 more seasons to get Borgstrom (a guy the Panthers quit on in 2019) and Stillman (a bottom pairing defenseman)?

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Why did Stan need to take on a $3.5M salary cap hit ($2.375M buried) for 2 more seasons to get Borgstrom (a guy the Panthers quit on in 2019) and Stillman (a bottom pairing defenseman)?

Because he had to. Otherwise, no deal. Gotta give to get. Hawks hockey brain trust believes both guys have promise. FWLIW, I agree.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Unless Borgstrom becomes a good top 9 player and Stillman becomes a solid 4/5 defender there will be no basis to defend trade

Right now it is bad trade and only salvation depends on what Borgstrom and Stillman show

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Because he had to. Otherwise, no deal. Gotta give to get. Hawks hockey brain trust believes both guys have promise. FWLIW, I agree.

You gotta give for a 1st round bust who left for Europe? You gotta give for a struggling defender on outs?

They certainly didn't have value to justify taking on a horrible cap dump in Connolly

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Unless Borgstrom becomes a good top 9 player and Stillman becomes a solid 4/5 defender there will be no basis to defend trade

Right now it is bad trade and only salvation depends on what Borgstrom and Stillman show
SIOecIDH.jpg

Reactions: ClydeLee

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT

“Depends on what Borgstrom and Stillman show” I mean....thats the entire point of the trade so the trade hasnt been ‘lost’ and were not at a salvation point. Borgstrom hasnt even played a real game yet and both are young. Its 2.5 of dead cap weight... not a big deal. This trade hasn’t been ‘won’ and ‘lost’ with Connolly being sent down... its almost like he wasn't the main point of the trade in the first place???

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
“Depends on what Borgstrom and Stillman show” I mean....thats the entire point of the trade so the trade hasnt been ‘lost’ and were not at a salvation point. Borgstrom hasnt even played a real game yet and both are young. Its 2.5 of dead cap weight... not a big deal. This trade hasn’t been ‘won’ and ‘lost’ with Connolly being sent down... its almost like he wasn't the main point of the trade in the first place???

I will ask the question again, why does Stan give up value like TT when he wants to get rid of cap when he’s cap strapped but when other teams want to get rid of their junk Stan takes other junk that they gave up on and takes their junk? It doesn’t seem like he know what the value of cap flexibility is even though he has paid a high price when he was cap strapped, talk about stupidity. You can’t just say Connolly WASNT the main point in the trade, that’s like saying Bickel wasn’t the main point of the trade when he was traded, it’s ridiculous…

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You gotta give for a 1st round bust who left for Europe? You gotta give for a struggling defender on outs?

They certainly didn't have value to justify taking on a horrible cap dump in Connolly

I didn’t like the deal but it’s kind of a nothing deal if they don’t turn into anything. Free lottery tickets basically.

Reactions: TheDoorDoctor

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I will ask the question again, why does Stan give up value like TT when he wants to get rid of cap when he’s cap strapped but when other teams want to get rid of their junk Stan takes other junk that they gave up on and takes their junk? It doesn’t seem like he know what the value of cap flexibility is even though he has paid a high price when he was cap strapped, talk about stupidity. You can’t just say Connolly WASNT the main point in the trade, that’s like saying Bickel wasn’t the main point of the trade when he was traded, it’s ridiculous…
Bergstrom and Stillman are not junk. They are NHLers, that seem to have a bright future. Connolly wasnt the main piece, unless you consider a cap dump a main piece lol. Bickell wasnt the main piece either, he was a cap dump, TT was the main piece.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Borgstrom became an NHLer when? Last time he was in NHL he was trash and ended up leaving for Europe

And for taking cap dump in Connolly which greatly helped Panthers the Hawks should have gotten something of value outside of a struggling 6/7 defender and a failed 1st rounder

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Borgstrom became an NHLer when? Last time he was in NHL he was trash and ended up leaving for Europe

And for taking cap dump in Connolly which greatly helped Panthers the Hawks should have gotten something of value outside of a struggling 6/7 defender and a failed 1st rounder
This year, he will make the team, and looks pretty good doing so. Both players are fairly young too. He also wasnt trash, just had a couple things to work on, but didnt want to play in the AHL.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

LOL...more "trash". It's meaningless.

You need to discover more descriptive wording.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have seen them play and Stillman is an established #6/7. I did watch Panthers games thru years

And again sure they are young but neither is worth taking on that god awful contract

When a GM takes on a bad contract with $3.5M cap hit for 2 years to help a team.. Usually they are compensated with something of value for it

Hawks got shit value for doing Panthers favor

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I have seen them play and Stillman is an established #6/7. I did watch Panthers games thru years

And again sure they are young but neither is worth taking on that god awful contract

When a GM takes on a bad contract with $3.5M cap hit for 2 years to help a team.. Usually they are compensated with something of value for it

You're really exaggerating this contract. It's not even that bad.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

its 2.375mil against our cap, and we got 2 potential everyday NHLers for nothing. No one is calling it a great trade, but it has potential to be great.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
its 2.375mil against our cap, and we got 2 potential everyday NHLers for nothing. No one is calling it a great trade, but it has potential to be great.
Bickel one year 4 million and 3 Mill buried and ONE YEAR and we lose TT, a high end established prospect, everyone was laughing at the Hawks the day that trade was made, go look at the threads from then. Remember when the Stan fans pushed the TT is “expendable” because Schmaltz was gonna take his place, the stupid smart logic made in here is genius.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Bickel one year 4 million and 3 Mill buried and ONE YEAR and we lose TT, a high end established prospect, everyone was laughing at the Hawks the day that trade was made, go look at the threads from then. Remember when the Stan fans pushed the TT is “expendable” because Schmaltz was gonna take his place, the stupid smart logic made in here is genius.
2 years skippy

needle

Apr 30, 2012
Irrelevant

How is that irrelevant? The Panthers gave up two guys that weren't going to be a part of their future to remove a $3.5M cap hit for 2+ seasons. That cap hit is now $2.375M of dead cap on a playoff contender that currently has no other cap space.

Where were our saving graces after 2010, after 2015, etc? There's only one Stan Bowman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad