Prospect Info: Brett Bulmer Re-Signed (1 Year, 2 Way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Pouliot was nothing even close to picking "safe". That was a pure skill pick through and through. The ONLY reason he failed was because he didn't have the desire to be the player his skill said he should be. He ended up being lazy.

Colton Gillies was absolutely a safe pick through and through, exact opposite of Pouliot.

Yeah, I suppose that's mostly true. Pouliot had size, puck skills and speed, and even some physicality. The problems with him were work ethic, hockey sense, and stupid penalties. Still, he was a heck of a prospect with that package!

I guess I just think of him as a "safe" pick because technically speaking he was the safest player to take at #4. Good old Canadian boy with puck skills. I also think about his skating combined with his huge size as reasons to call him a "safe" pick. Generally, if the words "thanks to his size and skating, even if he busts he'll be a bottom six player" apply, I call it a safe pick. Pouliot fit that bill. Gillies also fit that bill, but yeah, totally lacked the skill of Pouliot... which is probably why he didn't go 4th overall.

Kopitar would have been nice, but scouts had even bigger doubts about him (mainly because of his home country, which is asinine).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Remember though, Pouliot came out of nowhere in his draft year and was considered the 2nd most skilled player in that draft behind only Crosby. Pouliot was predicted to go #2 by most experts but were surprised by the more "safe" pick of Bobby Ryan ahead of Pouliot for one (Ryan was considered the safe pick).

Pouliot was always a risk due to his meteoric unexpected rise as his skills developed dramatically in his draft year.

Still, it was only work ethic that caused him to fail. His hockey sense is even decent, which is why he's become at least a somewhat effective 3rd liner, even though that's way below what his skillset should have him being.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Disagree, players can be buried on good teams or struggle to produce on weak teams against players 2 years older than them. Plenty of examples in that 2010 2nd round that have accomplished less than Bulmer despite outproducing him at the CHL level in 09-10.

Jared Knight? He was also under a ppg in his draft year and has only been "outproduced" by Bulmer .30 ppg in the AHL vs .28. I really can't find anyone else to meet those criteria. Brad Ross?

Pretty sure a guy like Jordan Weal would be much more helpful to Iowa's efforts (and bottom line) than Bulmer has been. I just don't get the mindset: why not draft a guy who has already proven capable of scoring?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
One of the things Minnesota looks for is size, because they believe size cannot be taught, which is true to a point. They think (and in some ways are right) that skill can be developed. The problem is, they can't develop skill in their forwards.

Kassian was a HORRENDOUS pick, but let's face it. He at least gave some value to the Wild, despite being a horrendous pick. Bulmer on the other hand was a questionable pick (Bussieres even worse), that has given zero value to the Wild.

I don't think it was honestly Bulmer's fault he didn't develop. Injuries, a weak player development team, and a terrible Iowa team never gave him the opportunity to develop.

Minni

Feb 18, 2015
Why did Minnesota trade away Larsson? He worked like hell all his years in Sweden and always spoke so well about his future in Minnesota...then he had to start all over again. Hope Buffalo will trust him now, otherwise we Love him in Brynäs!!!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why did Minnesota trade away Larsson? He worked like hell all his years in Sweden and always spoke so well about his future in Minnesota...then he had to start all over again. Hope Buffalo will trust him now, otherwise we Love him in Brynäs!!!

Because we had Haula, who we thought was similar to Larsson, which to some extent is correct. Larsson had a lot of value as a player.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
One of the things Minnesota looks for is size, because they believe size cannot be taught, which is true to a point. They think (and in some ways are right) that skill can be developed. The problem is, they can't develop skill in their forwards.

Kassian was a HORRENDOUS pick, but let's face it. He at least gave some value to the Wild, despite being a horrendous pick. Bulmer on the other hand was a questionable pick (Bussieres even worse), that has given zero value to the Wild.

I don't think it was honestly Bulmer's fault he didn't develop. Injuries, a weak player development team, and a terrible Iowa team never gave him the opportunity to develop.

Kassian had no upside. He was a heavyweight who might not look like a clown on skates which is better than 90% of the heavyweights in the league.

Why did Buffalo trade away their captain, a 6 time 20 goal scorer(scored at a 20+/82game pace the other 2 seasons he played for the Sabres as well) signed through the next season. You've got to give to get.

Jared Knight? He was also under a ppg in his draft year and has only been "outproduced" by Bulmer .30 ppg in the AHL vs .28. I really can't find anyone else to meet those criteria. Brad Ross?

Pretty sure a guy like Jordan Weal would be much more helpful to Iowa's efforts (and bottom line) than Bulmer has been. I just don't get the mindset: why not draft a guy who has already proven capable of scoring?

Christian Thomas, Petr Straka, and Ryan Martindale(1st pick of the 3rd round, 3-4 more guys in that round ahead of Bulmer in 09-10 CHL points) as well. You don't draft 18 year olds for who they are and what they're accomplishing at that age. Production is just one piece of the puzzle at that point. Don't really care what Weal would've done to help Iowa, you don't draft for your farm team in the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad