TSN: Brent Wallace says goodbye at TSN

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Legit loved this guy. He was so passionate and a fan first reporter second. Really enjoyed everything he brought to his work and coverage.

Sucks. He's a great guy with great skills, he'll find something better somewhere.

Reactions: Masked

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Bell makes money hand over fist and yet is constantly laying off. And then they have the nerve to promote "#bellletstalk".

Imagine working for someone for 23 years and bang, goodbye.

EFF BELL.

I have a friend who works at a Bell-owned radio station here in Montreal that had their news room cut by 90%, all this a day after "lets' talk".

f*** this god damn company and its bullshit campaign. They couldn't care less about people.

With that said, very sad to see Wally leave the air. I hope he finds a gig somewhere else, hopefully covering the Sens(doubt it).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I have a friend who works at a Bell-owned radio station here in Montreal that had their news room cut by 90%, all this a day after "lets' talk".

f*** this god damn company and its bullshit campaign. They couldn't care less about people.

With that said, very sad to see Wally leave the air. I hope he finds a gig somewhere else, hopefully covering the Sens(doubt it).

The campaign is great but a lot of people are oblivious to what these billionaire companies are doing. All the money we donate via THEM, they then use to get away from millions in tax breaks.

Even if you pass by walmart or other stores and they ask "would you like to donate to so and so" say no, then after you say no, you write a check or pay online YOURSELF directly to the organization. Therefore you feel good about supporting the company, and you yourself get the tax-breaks instead of a billion dollar company who probably isnt even doing it for the positive intentions in the first place.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You think Garrioch is just hanging out on the air during the intermission out of the goodness of his heart?

I mean, Garrioch is already in the building and has a two minute segment during an intermission. I doubt Bell is breaking the bank for Garrioch. He gets exposure and builds his brand.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You think Garrioch is just hanging out on the air during the intermission out of the goodness of his heart?
He works for PostMedia.... and sure he gets paid for his hits on TSN, but my point is Bell can't fire him from Postmedia... they can find someone else to fill in the spots he does.... no big loss or difference... just someone else for all'ya'all to crap on.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sad to see Brent go, but now is a good opportunity for him and mendes to spearhead or empower for some competition in the city. If Rogers wants to start their own local radio station in Ottawa, got some pretty good personnel to build with.

same station.
Rogers-owned 1310 News rebranded itself to CityNews Ottawa and took over the 101.1 MHz FM frequency from its sister station, Country. The Country station has moved to 92.3 MHz, So Rogers has two local Radio Stations... already, as I said earlier.

Ever Listen to Blue Jays game? On one of the Local Rogers Radio Stations.... already in Ottawa

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
TSN has 35,000 listeners. In a 1 million person immediate Ottawa area. And in a 1.5 million expanded area. so about 3-31/2 percent market share (Its not like the average 5 year old is tuning in).

No room for a second. No room for increased staff at TSN TV . No room for a whole host of media..Its a miracle we still have two newspapers. but they are owned by the same people and share everything.

We are were we are. Giant CNN has 1 person serving Ottawa..Canada's capital.

Do you remember in 1980 when the Thompson-owned Ottawa Journal closed on the same day and virtually the same time as the Southam-owned Winnipeg Tribune closed. There was a Royal Commission established to investigate collusion. The Commission white washed the entire affair. Politicians were not acting in the interest of competition. Wonder why?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Was Wallace the one banned from the team plane for linking to the uber video? I wonder if having to pay extra for his travel made him more expendable? Shame though

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Was Wallace the one banned from the team plane for linking to the uber video? I wonder if having to pay extra for his travel made him more expendable? Shame though
This is an excerpt from the mod added link that sums it up. Melnyk denies apparently.

Also on the Senators’ growing no-fly list is TSN reporter Brent Wallace who, prior to the team’s Parliament Hill alumni game last December, had the audacity to ask owner Eugene Melnyk about a report that suggested he had been withholding bonus money from his employees.

Melnyk denied the allegation.

Once the cameras were turned off, bystanders saw him turn to Wallace and say, “I’m going to bury you.”
Since then, Wallace’s seat on the charter has also been revoked, leaving Sylvain St-Laurent of French-language newspaper Le Droit with one of the remaining few seats. Well, until he writes something that Melnyk doesn’t like.
Based on the owner’s thin skin and the team’s propensity for causing controversy, that shouldn’t be too long.

CostPerRebuild

Sep 20, 2018
This is an excerpt from the mod added link that sums it up. Melnyk denies apparently.

Also on the Senators’ growing no-fly list is TSN reporter Brent Wallace who, prior to the team’s Parliament Hill alumni game last December, had the audacity to ask owner Eugene Melnyk about a report that suggested he had been withholding bonus money from his employees.

Melnyk denied the allegation.

Once the cameras were turned off, bystanders saw him turn to Wallace and say, “I’m going to bury you.”
Since then, Wallace’s seat on the charter has also been revoked, leaving Sylvain St-Laurent of French-language newspaper Le Droit with one of the remaining few seats. Well, until he writes something that Melnyk doesn’t like.
Based on the owner’s thin skin and the team’s propensity for causing controversy, that shouldn’t be too long.

And he might've today
Le ménage, ça se fait en été

Reactions: Wondercarrot

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just read through it and it doesn't seem to contain anything too bad imo, but you're probably right that it would not sit well with Melnyk.

Either way, censorship is never good and Melnyk is way out of line for using the power he holds for access to try to control what is or isn't said. Deplorable behavior imo.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Rogers-owned 1310 News rebranded itself to CityNews Ottawa and took over the 101.1 MHz FM frequency from its sister station, Country. The Country station has moved to 92.3 MHz, So Rogers has two local Radio Stations... already, as I said earlier.

Ever Listen to Blue Jays game? On one of the Local Rogers Radio Stations.... already in Ottawa

yup I used to listen on 1310. Since they already have a presence, one can only hope that they create a ‘Fan’ branded radio station to cover sports in Ottawa and immediately rival bell’s ‘TSN1200’. But that might be a pipe dream and maybe won’t make too much sense logistically

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Seems strange to cut your best talent,I get trying to save money when times are down...But how are you supposed to recover when things start to turn around with lessor talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad