TSN: Brent Wallace says goodbye at TSN

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You wonder how much of this is because of how insignificant the Ottawa Senators have become?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I mean, TSN can't be thrilled either with this team right? As good as the TV contract the Sens have now is, I doubt whatever next local broadcast deal the Sens get will be nearly as good if this team is still operated by Melnyk.

If the fanbase keeps dwindling, viewership and readership keeps going down, will TSN/Sportsnet even care to give Melnyk a big $$$ TV contract? Hopefully it doesn't go to the Rogers community TV crew!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I mean, TSN can't be thrilled either with this team right? As good as the TV contract the Sens have now is, I doubt whatever next local broadcast deal the Sens get will be nearly as good if this team is still operated by Melnyk.

If the fanbase keeps dwindling, viewership and readership keeps going down, will TSN/Sportsnet even care to give Melnyk a big $$$ TV contract? Hopefully it doesn't go to the Rogers community TV crew!
I think this has more to do with the pandemic than it does with the Ottawa senators.

Rogers also did massive layoffs didn't they last season?

Broadcasters in generally are probably bleeding a ton of money

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe Mendes read the writing on the wall and got out before these reductions? Tough times all around.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I think this has more to do with the pandemic than it does with the Ottawa senators.

Rogers also did massive layoffs didn't they last season?

Broadcasters in generally are probably bleeding a ton of money

I think the pandemic is only amplifying and accelerating what was already happening for a few years now. In the Sens case, the fanbase and viewership has been going down for a few years now caused mostly by the terrible on ice product.

Sens fans were STARVING for hockey and to see the shiny new toys. Now, we see that these games are really hard to watch to the end and there's no indication that they'll be anywhere but last in the league, AGAIN. Viewership has to be pretty horrible even considering the mostly late games so far.

If I'm TSN/Bell/Rogers and I look at the Sens, they invest as little possible into the on-ice product so why would I invest anything into this terrible product that clearly doesn't care about icing a competitive team. It feels like the only reason the Sens are still afloat is because of the TSN contract and the Sens aren't holding up their side of the bargain (icing an NHL team) and now viewership is probably all time worst when everyone is stuck at home and can't see the games anywhere else.

I hope that they start applying pressure to the NHL, ultimately, advertisers and sponsors are the only ones that can force the hand of the NHL to intervene in this mess.

Reactions: bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think the pandemic is only amplifying and accelerating what was already happening for a few years now. In the Sens case, the fanbase and viewership has been going down for a few years now caused mostly by the terrible on ice product.

Sens fans were STARVING for hockey and to see the shiny new toys. Now, we see that these games are really hard to watch to the end and there's no indication that they'll be anywhere but last in the league, AGAIN. Viewership has to be pretty horrible even considering the mostly late games so far.

If I'm TSN/Bell/Rogers and I look at the Sens, they invest as little possible into the on-ice product so why would I invest anything into this terrible product that clearly doesn't care about icing a competitive team. It feels like the only reason the Sens are still afloat is because of the TSN contract and the Sens aren't holding up their side of the bargain (icing an NHL team) and now viewership is probably all time worst when everyone is stuck at home and can't see the games anywhere else.

I hope that they start applying pressure to the NHL, ultimately, advertisers and sponsors are the only ones that can force the hand of the NHL to intervene in this mess.
I think you are really reaching here without any real facts or knowledge of what is actually happening behind closed doors with Bell.

They just laid of a lot of employees at Bell this week (in Toronto) so it looks like cuts are coming from everywhere. Also Bell Media bid for the Senators TV rights. The sens arent obligated to ice a Stanley cup level team. What hurting them more is probably the reduced amount of games they can cover

Reactions: Cosmix and Waterbuf

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Bell media in Toronto lost 210 positions

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Scheduling Sens games into the Pacific time zone even when they're playing in Winnipeg wasn't a good sign. TSN must not be drawing many advertisers for our games to justify trying so hard not to overlap with bigger-market teams. And then scheduling it later would only make things worse.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think you are really reaching here without any real facts or knowledge of what is actually happening behind closed doors with Bell.

They just laid of a lot of employees at Bell this week (in Toronto) so it looks like cuts are coming from everywhere. Also Bell Media bid for the Senators TV rights. The sens arent obligated to ice a Stanley cup level team. What hurting them more is probably the reduced amount of games they can cover
What did he say that wasnt factual? Id imagine people arent enamoured with the team right now... They probably have alot less people watching than they originally projected. Im a die hard and its still a struggle.

Reactions: Rand0m

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Its a question that shouldnt go unasked at this point. Considering how abrupt this was, and where the team is at.

Did any of the Jets media get cut? Isn't Sara Orlesky the equivalent of Wallace in Winnipeg? Is she still working there?

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
The company was recently criticized by members of parliament for taking $122 million in pandemic-related labour subsidies while increasing dividend payouts to its shareholders.

Nate Erskine-Smith, Liberal MP for Beaches-East York in Toronto, recently noted that BCE Inc., Bell Media’s parent company, had $5.2 billion in available liquidity at the end of Q3 in 2020, as well as 10 per cent growth in internet revenue and four per cent growth in year-to-date cash flow from operating activities.

But hey, Let's Talk!

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
What did he say that wasnt factual? Id imagine people arent enamoured with the team right now... They probably have alot less people watching than they originally projected. Im a die hard and its still a struggle.
changing time, nothing else. No link to the team.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Im going on season 3 where I haven't watched a game combined.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Shitty news. Brent Wallace has been really solid and provided great coverage this season. Hopefully he lands on his feet.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Sad to see Brent go, but now is a good opportunity for him and mendes to spearhead or empower for some competition in the city. If Rogers wants to start their own local radio station in Ottawa, got some pretty good personnel to build with.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Sad to see Brent go, but now is a good opportunity for him and mendes to spearhead or empower for some competition in the city. If Rogers wants to start their own local radio station in Ottawa, got some pretty good personnel to build with.
TSN has 35,000 listeners. In a 1 million person immediate Ottawa area. And in a 1.5 million expanded area. so about 3-31/2 percent market share (Its not like the average 5 year old is tuning in).

No room for a second. No room for increased staff at TSN TV . No room for a whole host of media..Its a miracle we still have two newspapers. but they are owned by the same people and share everything.

We are were we are. Giant CNN has 1 person serving Ottawa..Canada's capital.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Rogers already has a couple of local Radio Stations in the Ottawa Market.... 1310 am, 101.1 FM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad