Recalled/Assigned: Brennan Othmann recalled from Hartford

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Great job by this Stone Age organization. Water boarding the kid for a few days and sending him back down is sure to work wonders for his confidence.

It’s almost like they didn’t learn anything from watching Lafreniere flourish by giving him reps and letting him work through this mistakes.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's easier for a kid to play with a lead, or in a tie game.

As much as we all want to see him play in the top-6, it makes sense to not play young players in a game where you are trailing by 3 goals. Cuylle was also not playing much last night after the 1st period.

And yeah, patience is key but as a fan I want to hit that home-run pick at least once in my lifetime. That type of guy that just make the NHL at age 19 or 20, never looks back, never spends a day in the AHL and becomes a top-6 player just because he's THAT good.

Sebastian Aho
Brock Boeser
Alex deBrincat
Robert Thomas
Travis Konecny
Ryan O'Reilly
Nikolaj Ehlers
Johnny Gaudreau
Vladimir Tarasenko
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Dawson Mercer
Wyatt Johnston
Anton Lundell

Just once, give me a prospect who hits the ground running. Just once :laugh:

But realisticaly, going back to Hartford for a few months, and then get a call-up late in the season or earn a spot in September, is a good trajectory for a kid who just turned 21.

That is becoming more and more rare in this day and age, especially if you aren't a top 5 draft pick. The game relies on more speed and strength than ever, and most 18-19 year olds, even most 20 year olds are not ready for that.

Even half of the players you listed were 21-22 years old, older players, or even players who have even declined since 20 (Lundell).

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Was that before or after he got the hat from Panarin. You guys are butt delulu on this one. He came up, he wasn’t ready, he went down. Sometimes the easy answer is the answer.

Pretty much . Not sure how anyone didn’t see this coming with Kakko close

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Great job by this Stone Age organization. Water boarding the kid for a few days and sending him back down is sure to work wonders for his confidence.

It’s almost like they didn’t learn anything from watching Lafreniere flourish by giving him reps and letting him work through this mistakes.

Lol relax - you guys act like the team doesnt have conversations with these kids - he most likely knew it was a cup of coffee - he got a little taste of the NHL and is now motivated to get back - the sky isnt falling

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Lol relax - you guys act like the team doesnt have conversations with these kids - he most likely knew it was a cup of coffee - he got a little taste of the NHL and is now motivated to get back - the sky isnt falling

Of course they talk to these kids...

"So about that heart rate..."

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

We like have legitimate proof that the Rangers don’t always communicate with their prospects. Several of them have said this and while those players aren’t necessarily the models of maturity it’s a two way street.

The Laf situation has clearly shown the ranger’s inability to develop players is not a player problem, it’s an organization problem. Just because they’re professionals doesn’t mean they’re good at what they do. Anyone that has a job can attest to this.

They didn’t ruin Othmann. Of course not, it was three games. He’s a cocky kid with plenty of swagger and he’s had a nice season down in the AHL. But his stint up here was objectively handled wrong. My point is that you would hope the lightbulb went off for the front office watching Laf lately and got them thinking “whoa, it’s almost as if we gave the most talented kid in the world in his age bracket a longer leash and played him with skilled veterans for extended time, he will start playing to his potential.”

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We like have legitimate proof that the Rangers don’t always communicate with their prospects. Several of them have said this and while those players aren’t necessarily the models of maturity it’s a two way street.

The Laf situation has clearly shown the ranger’s inability to develop players is not a player problem, it’s an organization problem. Just because they’re professionals doesn’t mean they’re good at what they do. Anyone that has a job can attest to this.

They didn’t ruin Othmann. Of course not, it was three games. He’s a cocky kid with plenty of swagger and he’s had a nice season down in the AHL. But his stint up here was objectively handled wrong. My point is that you would hope the lightbulb went off for the front office watching Laf lately and got them thinking “whoa, it’s almost as if we gave the most talented kid in the world in his age bracket a longer leash and played him with skilled veterans for extended time, he will start playing to his potential.”
Proof? Please show this proof.

Oth was on a 9 game scoreless streak in the AHL. He came up for a cup of coffee to gain some experience just like Cuylle did last season. Cuylle wasn't ready last season and Oth is probably not ready yet. That isn't some master conspiracy among multiple NYR front offices nor multiple NYR coaches. Nobody wants Oth to succeed more than Drury who drafted him. To think otherwise is silly at best and definitely nonsensical.

Reactions: Jaromir Jagr

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Proof? Please show this proof.

Oth was on a 9 game scoreless streak in the AHL. He came up for a cup of coffee to gain some experience just like Cuylle did last season. Cuylle wasn't ready last season and Oth is probably not ready yet. That isn't some master conspiracy among multiple NYR front offices nor multiple NYR coaches. Nobody wants Oth to succeed more than Drury who drafted him. To think otherwise is silly at best and definitely nonsensical.

Andersson made similar comments. It doesn’t matter if these guys are 80% in the wrong, they’re children and the front office is a bunch of grown men. It doesn’t matter if it was a language barrier. Hire a f***ing translator or don’t draft people if you can’t communicate with them.

You’re also conflating incompetence with malintent. Go back and tell me where I said anything about the Rangers intentionally doing this. Or a conspiracy. I’m not really sure how your brain got here.

I’m a very big proponent of Drury when 90% of this board isn’t. They shouldn’t have called our top offensive prospect up to sit on the bench. It was pointless and this organization is tone deaf when it comes to understanding how much handholding young kids need. It’s why the last successful forward we developed is 32 years old.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Andersson made similar comments. It doesn’t matter if these guys are 80% in the wrong, they’re children and the front office is a bunch of grown men. It doesn’t matter if it was a language barrier. Hire a f***ing translator or don’t draft people if you can’t communicate with them.

You’re also conflating incompetence with malintent. Go back and tell me where I said anything about the Rangers intentionally doing this. Or a conspiracy. I’m not really sure how your brain got here.

I’m a very big proponent of Drury when 90% of this board isn’t. They shouldn’t have called our top offensive prospect up to sit on the bench. It was pointless and this organization is tone deaf when it comes to understanding how much handholding young kids need. It’s why the last successful forward we developed is 32 years old.
Please show me all the success Lias and Krav have had on other NHL teams.

What does Drury have to do with any front office before him?

Teams call up prospects for a cup of coffee alk the time to give them a taste and the experience of the NHL.

The last guy on the planet that doesn't want Oth to succeed is Drury. If Oth succeeds it only makes Drury look good.

Lavi also would love Oth to succeed. The better Oth does the easier Lavis job is. Oth hadn't scored in his last 9 AHL games. Was that Lavis doing? Why would he be expected to excel in the NHL when he wasn't scoring in the AHL?

Hopefully Oth turns out great but its ridiculous to think Drury or Lavi were holding him back. Its just silly Internet conspiracy nonsense.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Please show me all the success Lias and Krav have had on other NHL teams.

What does Drury have to do with any front office before him?

Teams call up prospects for a cup of coffee alk the time to give them a taste and the experience of the NHL.

The last guy on the planet that doesn't want Oth to succeed is Drury. If Oth succeeds it only makes Drury look good.

Lavi also would love Oth to succeed. The better Oth does the easier Lavis job is. Oth hadn't scored in his last 9 AHL games. Was that Lavis doing? Why would he be expected to excel in the NHL when he wasn't scoring in the AHL?

Hopefully Oth turns out great but its ridiculous to think Drury or Lavi were holding him back. Its just silly Internet conspiracy nonsense.

You seem to keep missing the point and saying that someone implied that the staff wants him to fail. I would never suggest that. I don’t think anyone is.

No harm, it’s late and he’s back in Hartford now. I think the Rangers fundamentally do not understand how to bring up young kids, and haven’t for awhile.

But we both want Othmann to succeed and I’m sure he will get there. :cheers:

Reactions: NickyFotiu

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
It has to do with scoring not at all. If 5 games ago in Hartford he ripped home a PP goal from the circle that would change nothing for his readiness to adapt to the National League. It took him 3 games to land on Mount Rushmore. If he kept going he could have owned it by himself.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You seem to keep missing the point and saying that someone implied that the staff wants him to fail. I would never suggest that. I don’t think anyone is.

No harm, it’s late and he’s back in Hartford now. I think the Rangers fundamentally do not understand how to bring up young kids, and haven’t for awhile.

Look at the prior post I replied to that stated our coaches never want a young player playing better than our vets.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Are you saying typical Rangers or are you saying it was dumb to bring him up? One is a take I agree with and one is butt silly.
There is NOTHING more typical Rangers than absolutely obliterating the development and confidence of a good, capable, forward prospect.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's arguing here over nothing.

- Edstrom was supposed to get the call and would still be up if he wasn't hurt

-Othmann got a cup of coffee like Cullye did last year

-His linemates did him no favors

-He'll go down to Hartford and keep working on his game

-He doesn't strike me as someone who is soft or will have his confidence ruined

-He made a little extra money and can take his friends out to the club this summer

-The end.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Which means that no matter what the Rangers did, you were going to complain about it.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This was completely pointless

I disagree. It was a great experience for the player, and it sends a signal to the other young players in Hartford that this team rewards good performances down there. First Edström, now Othmann.

I can tell you that it means a lot for them individually and that it's a great boost in terms of motivation.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It's easier for a kid to play with a lead, or in a tie game.

As much as we all want to see him play in the top-6, it makes sense to not play young players in a game where you are trailing by 3 goals. Cuylle was also not playing much last night after the 1st period.

And yeah, patience is key but as a fan I want to hit that home-run pick at least once in my lifetime. That type of guy that just make the NHL at age 19 or 20, never looks back, never spends a day in the AHL and becomes a top-6 player just because he's THAT good.

Sebastian Aho
Brock Boeser
Alex deBrincat
Robert Thomas
Travis Konecny
Ryan O'Reilly
Nikolaj Ehlers
Johnny Gaudreau
Vladimir Tarasenko
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Dawson Mercer
Wyatt Johnston
Anton Lundell

Just once, give me a prospect who hits the ground running. Just once :laugh:

But realisticaly, going back to Hartford for a few months, and then get a call-up late in the season or earn a spot in September, is a good trajectory for a kid who just turned 21.
I give you Gabe Perrault. He will be an NHLer after his next NCAA season and will never look back.

Reactions: Ail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad