Recalled/Assigned: Brennan Othmann recalled from Hartford

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah, I'm not sure the hesitation to playing a couple of younger players. What's the worst case?
Edstrom went back down because he was no longer needed once Bonino was healthy. If the team didn't suck ass the last 2 games and fall behind right away, Othmann would have played more. It's not complicated.

Lavi's job is to win games.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Edstrom went back down because he was no longer needed once Bonino was healthy. If the team didn't suck ass the last 2 games and fall behind right away, Othmann would have played more. It's not complicated.

Lavi's job is to win games.

Yeah I get that, but it's not like Bonino and Goodrow and Brodzinski are helping with that lately?

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
So the kid comes up, has a great 1st game. Shows confidence, aggressive, moxy, shooting the puck, physical...

Then the Rangers decide like they always do that they can't have a rook showing up the vets, so they nip his nuts off like every other forward rookie that's ever come through here the last few years. Benched him, made him timid and unsure of himself while he watched scrubs play above him. Then sent him back down.

Meanwhile got spanked on home ice by Vancouver. And the scrubs responsible still linger.

Fantastic. Keep Rongo-ing Rongos.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Laviolette has a fever, and the only cure is more Bonino and Pitlick.

His fav is Brodzinski . A 30 year old minor league that sucks at the NHL level, yea lets not play Othmann and Cuylle because of some AHL scrub that is not an NHL player

So the kid comes up, has a great 1st game. Shows confidence, aggressive, moxy, shooting the puck, physical...

Then the Rangers decide like they always do that they can't have a rook showing up the vets, so they nip his nuts off like every other forward rookie that's ever come through here the last few years. Benched him, made him timid and unsure of himself while he watched scrubs play above him. Then sent him back down.

Meanwhile got spanked on home ice by Vancouver. And the scrubs responsible still linger.

I would not be shocked if the vets complained about Othmann getting call the praise and media from the press about his 1st NHL game

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah I get that, but it's not like Bonino and Goodrow and Brodzinski are helping with that lately?
Our issue wasn't scoring. Our issue has been defending. Othmann isn't going to help much in that regard.

His fav is Brodzinski . A 30 year old minor league that sucks at the NHL level, yea lets not play Othmann and Cuylle because of some AHL scrub that is not an NHL player

I would not be shocked if the vets complained about Othmann getting call the praise and media from the press about his 1st NHL game

Othmann isn't ready for this level. It's not that hard to comprehend once you take your bias out of the equation.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Super predictable. Belzile would have been better option. Kid was progressing correctly in Hartford along with the team doing well (Not dominating by any means). Leave him there. Leave Sykora there. Leave Berard there. Next year is a different story.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020

Was that before or after he got the hat from Panarin. You guys are butt delulu on this one. He came up, he wasn’t ready, he went down. Sometimes the easy answer is the answer.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
The org got him up at a time they needed a player, just so happens it was around his birthday and he was mentioned as the most deserving. He got to see first hand how much more he needs to do and work on to be on the roster of the big boy club.

Glad he got a taste and I'm certain he will continue to put the work in down in Hartford.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He didn't look out of place in the Chicago game, but after that it has not been good. It was worth a shot to see what he is right now. Needed to know before the deadline too.

Othmann will be a regular on this team in October.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He didn't look out of place in the Chicago game, but after that it has not been good. It was worth a shot to see what he is right now. Needed to know before the deadline too.

Othmann will be a regular on this team in October.

It's easier for a kid to play with a lead, or in a tie game.

As much as we all want to see him play in the top-6, it makes sense to not play young players in a game where you are trailing by 3 goals. Cuylle was also not playing much last night after the 1st period.

And yeah, patience is key but as a fan I want to hit that home-run pick at least once in my lifetime. That type of guy that just make the NHL at age 19 or 20, never looks back, never spends a day in the AHL and becomes a top-6 player just because he's THAT good.

Sebastian Aho
Brock Boeser
Alex deBrincat
Robert Thomas
Travis Konecny
Ryan O'Reilly
Nikolaj Ehlers
Johnny Gaudreau
Vladimir Tarasenko
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Dawson Mercer
Wyatt Johnston
Anton Lundell

Just once, give me a prospect who hits the ground running. Just once :laugh:

But realisticaly, going back to Hartford for a few months, and then get a call-up late in the season or earn a spot in September, is a good trajectory for a kid who just turned 21.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
And yeah, patience is key but as a fan I want to hit that home-run pick at least once in my lifetime. That type of guy that just make the NHL at age 19 or 20, never looks back, never spends a day in the AHL and becomes a top-6 player just because he's THAT good.

are you 12 years old or are you intentionally ignoring Derek Stepan?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Cup of coffee.

Expected.

I expected to see a little more fire from him physically after the good first game but tough with the limited minutes. Think he was figuring out the flow but also concerned about not being out of position

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
This pleases those who were feeling that Othmann was already starting to get ruined lol. Back in Hartford, back to getting big minutes, back in black. If he wasn't going to get minutes here, game 1 aside, sending him back down is the correct move.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Wasn't he on a 9 game scoreless streak in the AHL before his call up? The crazy conspiracy that our coach would not want a young guy to produce more than vets is entertaining but not logical.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
This pleases those who were feeling that Othmann was already starting to get ruined lol. Back in Hartford, back to getting big minutes, back in black. If he wasn't going to get minutes here, game 1 aside, sending him back down is the correct move.
Are Wolfpack unis black? They look a lot like the 2018 winter classic jerseys which are a DARK blue.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The org got him up at a time they needed a player, just so happens it was around his birthday and he was mentioned as the most deserving. He got to see first hand how much more he needs to do and work on to be on the roster of the big boy club.

Glad he got a taste and I'm certain he will continue to put the work in down in Hartford.
I believe he only got the call because Edstrom was not available.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I believe he only got the call because Edstrom was not available.
actually, just opinion/guess, not what i believe,
why not take a peek, especially with 5-on-5 scoring so sporadic?
But likely outcome was always as it fell out, just a few games this time around

Reactions: egelband

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Are Wolfpack unis black? They look a lot like the 2018 winter classic jerseys which are a DARK blue.
They are dark blue.

Chicago is a borderline AHL team and not representative of how well anyone plays. He did well in that game.

Our defense is atrocious right now and the forwards are a big part of that. The coverage when the D pinches has been brutal. That's a huge part of Lavy's system.

Othmann got the same cup that Cuylle did. It was smart last year and smart this year. Keep that fire burning.

Everyone complaining about the TOI for Othmann kinda wild. Bonino and Brodz were in the bottom 3 with him. He was benched for Panarin on multiple shifts. Panarin's not a center.

I have a bigger gripe with Cuylle getting 11 mins and Wheeler getting 15. I hope Cuylle gets elevated. Wheeler is horrendous and skates slower than anyone I've seen in a long time. Literally looks like he's in ice booties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad