Brenden Dillon slash on Madison Bowey (UPD: One game suspension)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Try to rationalize that behavior if you want to, but Dillon is the only one who doesn't make a legal play there. I don't necessarily like the way defensemen can challenge a forechecker after a dump in the NHL, but that's hardly "taking a run" at anybody. If Dillon wants to play hard all the way to the end of the game (and he appeared to be one of the only ones who was), why shouldn't Bowey? If he doesn't make the legal play available to him then, Bowey probably has to eat a pretty mean check in the corner tying that puck up.

There's no real reason to be charging in on a last second dump to the corners unless you're trying to prove something. Robbed of that last legal opportunity, Dillon threw a tantrum instead like the weasel he apparently is.

Just because a penalty isn't assessed doesn't mean that the play was legal. That kind of argument is bogus. It always has been. It always will be. Quite simply, you're making a contradictory argument when you sit there and say that Dillon is playing hard but Bowey wasn't yet still say Dillon's the only one that did. That hit was late and high and those penalties are always a matter of opinion. Bowey doesn't have to eat anything because in that stage of the game he's not required to go into fetch the puck. For every garbage insult you want to throw at a Sharks player, there's a Cap player guilty of that same crap throughout the course of the game so stop pretending like you and your team are above the whole thing. They very clearly are not.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
My homer goggles are all fogged up yet you offer nothing that actually counters anything I said. I never claimed the refs cost the Sharks the game so take your straw man back. None of it was even all that bad but it got to the point it did because the refs failed to do their jobs and call the Caps for the runs they were taking and the infractions they were getting away with especially after the Thornton hit.

By your criteria anyone playing anyone else hard ending with both players throwing down is an instigator. He probably didn't counter it because of how patently absurd it is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
By your criteria anyone playing anyone else hard ending with both players throwing down is an instigator. He probably didn't counter it because of how patently absurd it is.

No, it actually isn't. That's just you creating a straw man because you have no counter to it because you're flat out wrong.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
How in the world is this only 1 game? The game misconduct was pretty irrelevant

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You mean what was bowey doing playing hockey like he should?

D-men slowing down players coming into their zone happens dozens of times every game. Cross-checking them into the boards isn't how it "should" be played - especially with 11 seconds left in a poorly officiated/chippy game. The notion that the reaction should be ignored in the context of the action is homerism at its finest.

Reactions: Phu

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
No, it actually isn't. That's just you creating a straw man because you have no counter to it because you're flat out wrong.

What you described is indistinguishable from playing a guy hard to take him off his game. If that's an instigator Ryan Kesler deserves 2 minutes every time he steps on the ice. The fact that me merely restating your argument gets you to see it as a strawman just highlights what a pile of garbage it originally was.

Instigating is giving the other player no choice other than to fight or be beaten up, not playing him hard.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Dillon deserves to sit, but what was Bowey thinking using his stick to check Dillon into the boards with 11 seconds left?

Probably the reason why it wasn't more than one game. Dillon had a reason to get ornery there, but two handing a guy on the wrist is dangerous and in a season they are cutting down on even minor slashing, you gotta figure they'd do something.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Thorton made a debatable hit and had no problem with the fight. Mean while the rest of the team and some of their fans are loosing their damn minds. Thinly veiled approval of a two hand baseball swing for a run of the mill cross check at worst? Funny that no Sharks fans are admonishing Meirer(sp?) for trying to start crap after the whistle with about 90 seconds left and down by 3 goals, but Bowey making a semi physical play with 11 seconds left justifies the swing?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What you described is indistinguishable from playing a guy hard to take him off his game. If that's an instigator Ryan Kesler deserves 2 minutes every time he steps on the ice. The fact that me merely restating your argument gets you to see it as a strawman just highlights what a pile of garbage it originally was.

Instigating is giving the other player no choice other than to fight or be beaten up, not playing him hard.

When it comes to Wilson/Thornton, no instigating is not simply giving the other player no choice. There is a wide latitude for officials when it comes to making that call. When a guy jumps on the ice and does nothing but challenge another especially because he's looking for retribution on a previous incident, that is instigating by the freaking rulebook. Wilson wasn't playing Thornton hard. He was following him to get him to drop his whole shift and it wasn't some quick challenge, decline, and move on. It was persistent. Thornton finally accepting has no relevance to whether an instigator is to be called in that situation. The fact is the refs failed to do their jobs appropriately and the Caps got the benefit from it. Didn't change the game any but it's yet another instance of incompetent officiating that had been plaguing the Sharks on the road trip in this game and the previous two. Things boiled over for them because of it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thorton made a debatable hit and had no problem with the fight. Mean while the rest of the team and some of their fans are loosing their damn minds. Thinly veiled approval of a two hand baseball swing for a run of the mill cross check at worst? Funny that no Sharks fans are admonishing Meirer(sp?) for trying to start crap after the whistle with about 90 seconds left and down by 3 goals, but Bowey making a semi physical play with 11 seconds left justifies the swing?
No one is approving the slash. Either remove your head from the sand or brush up on reading comprehension.

People are acting like Dillon took a swing at him totally unprovoked, which clearly wasn't the case. Dillon had a right to react to Bowie's play, he just went about it wrong.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
My homer goggles are all fogged up yet you offer nothing that actually counters anything I said. I never claimed the refs cost the Sharks the game so take your straw man back. None of it was even all that bad but it got to the point it did because the refs failed to do their jobs and call the Caps for the runs they were taking and the infractions they were getting away with especially after the Thornton hit.

Congrats on learning a new term: "straw man". Although since I never actually said you blamed the Sharks loss on the refs, it can't be a "straw argument". It was a good try though. So proud of you stretching out to try and learn new things. Now, if you could just contextualize them and use them appropriately you'll be able to close that loop.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Congrats on learning a new term: "straw man". Although since I never actually said you blamed the Sharks loss on the refs, it can't be a "straw argument". It was a good try though. So proud of you stretching out to try and learn new things. Now, if you could just contextualize them and use them appropriately you'll be able to close that loop.

You never actually said I blamed the Sharks loss but when you specifically point out that the Sharks didn't lose because of the refs in direct response to me then the straw man argument is still created no matter what you try to say to try and pretend like you didn't. That kind of a joke response is what happens when you don't have a substantive response anymore. It was absolutely used appropriately and you have no intelligent response so you resort to this weak response of yours.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No one is approving the slash. Either remove your head from the sand or brush up on reading comprehension.

People are acting like Dillon took a swing at him totally unprovoked, which clearly wasn't the case. Dillon had a right to react to Bowie's play, he just went about it wrong.
Wait what provoked Dillon, a different play? or we talking about the same play cause I saw nothing that deserved retaliation in the video, just a pretty normal text book interference by bowie.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wait what provoked Dillon, a different play? or we talking about the same play cause I saw nothing that deserved retaliation in the video, just a pretty normal text book interference by bowie.
Are you purposely ignoring the context? 4-1 game with less than 10 seconds left. Of course interfering and getting your hands up on a guy is going to cause a reaction.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Are you purposely ignoring the context? 4-1 game with less than 10 seconds left. Of course interfering and getting your hands up on a guy is going to cause a reaction.

Games are 60 mins not 59 mins and and 50 seconds, if Dillon let up that's his fault. Not to mention the game was fairly chippy(Jumbo joes dirty hit on oshie etc), of course caps are going to play to the last whistle, and honestly what bowie did was pretty casual... I don't think id call it a play needed to be "reacted" too... you already lost 4-1 why make it worse.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Sure, but that's a huge overreaction. Oh no, Bowey shoved me into the boards with 10 seconds left in a 4-1 game. Quick, I better attempt to break his wrist by whacking him with my hockey stick!

Reactions: GoCaps2004 and g00n

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sure, but that's a huge overreaction. Oh no, Bowey shoved me into the boards with 10 seconds left in a 4-1 game. Quick, I better attempt to break his wrist by whacking him with my hockey stick!
I've said the entire time the slash was bad. He should have just skated up to him and engaged him if he wanted to fight. Probably wouldn't have but he could have gotten some frustration out in a scrum and avoided suspension.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I've said the entire time the slash was bad. He should have just skated up to him and engaged him if he wanted to fight. Probably wouldn't have but he could have gotten some frustration out in a scrum and avoided suspension.

Ok then we're saying the same thing. Being frustrated is not an excuse for trying to injure your opponent.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Games are 60 mins not 59 mins and and 50 seconds, if Dillon let up that's his fault. Not to mention the game was fairly chippy(Jumbo joes dirty hit on oshie etc), of course caps are going to play to the last whistle, and honestly what bowie did was pretty casual... I don't think id call it a play needed to be "reacted" too... you already lost 4-1 why make it worse.
It was a chippy game, which is why a play like Bowie' that late is going to generate a reaction. Games like this or rivalry games always do when a play like that is made. Was it one that deserved a baseball swing? Absolutely not, but you seriously can't expect a guy like Dillon to just skate away there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad