Brenden Dillon slash on Madison Bowey (UPD: One game suspension)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The time when the gloves are dropped are not a determining factor for an instigator penalty.
Definitely no instigator, Thornton could of skated away, he wasn’t jumped or forced to do anything.

You really think a fight where both players removing their helmets and have clearly agreed to fight warrants an instigator?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
thornton had a choice.. he clda skated away but chose to man up and show some balls. instigating isnt asking someone to fight. its jumping someone giving them no choice

Definitely no instigator, Thornton could of skated away, he wasn’t jumped or forced to do anything.

You really think a fight where both players removing their helmets and have clearly agreed to fight warrants an instigator?

Definitely an instigator given the amount of time Wilson was challenging and grabbing on and in response to the hit from before. You damn right it should have been an instigator. Just because they eventually agreed and/or removed their helmets doesn't mean an instigator shouldn't have been called. Wilson's shift that entire time was meant to do one thing and it was to respond to the Oshie hit. It should've been called if they were actually using a standard for the damn penalty. If that's not an instigator, they might as well get rid of the damn thing because it's meaningless.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
"Definitely an instigator given the amount of time Wilson was challenging and grabbing on and in response to the hit from before. You damn right it should have been an instigator. Just because they eventually agreed and/or removed their helmets doesn't mean an instigator shouldn't have been called. Wilson's shift that entire time was meant to do one thing and it was to respond to the Oshie hit. It should've been called if they were actually using a standard for the damn penalty. If that's not an instigator, they might as well get rid of the damn thing because it's meaningless."

Your homer goggles are all fogged up.

No way is that an instigator penalty. Thornton, too his credit, stood up and answered for the questionable hit. In slow-mo the hit looked worse than it was at live speed, but that's always the case.

The refs didn't lose control of the game, nor did they cost the Sharks the game.

The BS by Dillon was the worse thing that happened during the whole game, including Thronton's hit and the Wilson'Thornton fight.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
"Definitely an instigator given the amount of time Wilson was challenging and grabbing on and in response to the hit from before. You damn right it should have been an instigator. Just because they eventually agreed and/or removed their helmets doesn't mean an instigator shouldn't have been called. Wilson's shift that entire time was meant to do one thing and it was to respond to the Oshie hit. It should've been called if they were actually using a standard for the damn penalty. If that's not an instigator, they might as well get rid of the damn thing because it's meaningless."

Your homer goggles are all fogged up.

No way is that an instigator penalty. Thornton, too his credit, stood up and answered for the questionable hit. In slow-mo the hit looked worse than it was at live speed, but that's always the case.

The refs didn't lose control of the game, nor did they cost the Sharks the game.

The BS by Dillon was the worse thing that happened during the whole game, including Thronton's hit and the Wilson'Thornton fight.

My homer goggles are all fogged up yet you offer nothing that actually counters anything I said. I never claimed the refs cost the Sharks the game so take your straw man back. None of it was even all that bad but it got to the point it did because the refs failed to do their jobs and call the Caps for the runs they were taking and the infractions they were getting away with especially after the Thornton hit.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
My homer goggles are all fogged up yet you offer nothing that actually counters anything I said. I never claimed the refs cost the Sharks the game so take your straw man back. None of it was even all that bad but it got to the point it did because the refs failed to do their jobs and call the Caps for the runs they were taking and the infractions they were getting away with especially after the Thornton hit.
Name one example.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Name one example.

Well, this particular thread regarding Dillon and Bowey is actually an example of that since Bowey's hit on Dillon was high and late. Even if we want to give it to him and the Caps that it was legal, with 5-10 seconds to go in a 4-1 game, it was taking a run. Everyone should know that. But beyond that, you can't sit there and tell me watching this specific game that the Caps didn't commit any real infractions the first two periods of this game. And it was like that in Tampa and Florida as well. When the refs swallow their whistles, this type of stuff inevitably happens. If they want to prevent things from getting out of hand, they have to call infractions and they haven't been the past three Sharks games.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well, this particular thread regarding Dillon and Bowey is actually an example of that since Bowey's hit on Dillon was high and late. Even if we want to give it to him and the Caps that it was legal, with 5-10 seconds to go in a 4-1 game, it was taking a run. Everyone should know that. But beyond that, you can't sit there and tell me watching this specific game that the Caps didn't commit any real infractions the first two periods of this game. And it was like that in Tampa and Florida as well. When the refs swallow their whistles, this type of stuff inevitably happens. If they want to prevent things from getting out of hand, they have to call infractions and they haven't been the past three Sharks games.

With 5 seconds left in a 4-1 game, there's no reason for Dillon to be charging after his dump into the corner either, if not to take a run. and get a piece of someone before the final horn.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With 5 seconds left in a 4-1 game, there's no reason for Dillon to be charging after his dump into the corner either, if not to take a run. and get a piece of someone before the final horn.

Not something you can actually prove and not even relevant if you could. Dillon didn't actually take a run like Bowey did so argue what happened rather than what you think could have happened but didn't.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The refs definitely failed to do their job, thornton didn't get kicked out of the game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The refs definitely failed to do their job, thornton didn't get kicked out of the game.

I can understand the argument for kicking Thornton out after that hit. In that instance, you either let that go which is pretty much what refs are apparently doing these days, or you call a five minute major for interference. There shouldn't be a middle ground on that. I may not have liked the call or disagreed with it but if they actually made that call, they wouldn't have lost control of the game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Not something you can actually prove and not even relevant if you could. Dillon didn't actually take a run like Bowey did so argue what happened rather than what you think could have happened but didn't.

Try to rationalize that behavior if you want to, but Dillon is the only one who doesn't make a legal play there. I don't necessarily like the way defensemen can challenge a forechecker after a dump in the NHL, but that's hardly "taking a run" at anybody. If Dillon wants to play hard all the way to the end of the game (and he appeared to be one of the only ones who was), why shouldn't Bowey? If he doesn't make the legal play available to him then, Bowey probably has to eat a pretty mean check in the corner tying that puck up.

There's no real reason to be charging in on a last second dump to the corners unless you're trying to prove something. Robbed of that last legal opportunity, Dillon threw a tantrum instead like the weasel he apparently is.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Dillon deserves to sit, but what was Bowey thinking using his stick to check Dillon into the boards with 11 seconds left?

Reactions: Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad