Brenden Dillon slash on Madison Bowey (UPD: One game suspension)

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
You never actually said I blamed the Sharks loss but when you specifically point out that the Sharks didn't lose because of the refs in direct response to me then the straw man argument is still created no matter what you try to say to try and pretend like you didn't. That kind of a joke response is what happens when you don't have a substantive response anymore. It was absolutely used appropriately and you have no intelligent response so you resort to this weak response of yours.

You're right PinkFloyd - "You never actually said I blamed the Sharks loss ..." My point stands.

Whatever PinkFloyd. Not worth arguing over. Don't even care that the Caps won, but after dealing with you, just glad the Sharks lost.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You're right PinkFloyd - "You never actually said I blamed the Sharks loss ..." My point stands.

Whatever PinkFloyd. Not worth arguing over. Don't even care that the Caps won, but after dealing with you, just glad the Sharks lost.

Actually, your point does not stand just because you want to take something out of context but the more important point for you to absorb is to take a look at what you're posting and understand just how petty you sound simply because your argument was criticized appropriately and you had no other response but to whine. Oh I'm glad your team lost just because of you. I feel bad for you honestly.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Sure, but that's a huge overreaction. Oh no, Bowey shoved me into the boards with 10 seconds left in a 4-1 game. Quick, I better attempt to break his wrist by whacking him with my hockey stick!

The fact that this no talent goon was out there with 10 seconds left only proves he was on the ice to start shit and nothing else. He deserved the slash. Be lucky it wasn't a Tony Twist special.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Wait what provoked Dillon, a different play? or we talking about the same play cause I saw nothing that deserved retaliation in the video, just a pretty normal text book interference by bowie.
Sounds like you answered you own question with that last part.

Games are 60 mins not 59 mins and and 50 seconds, if Dillon let up that's his fault.
Let up on an interference? Are players now expect to be prepared for the hit at all time, even when they don't have the puck?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Just because a penalty isn't assessed doesn't mean that the play was legal. That kind of argument is bogus. It always has been. It always will be. Quite simply, you're making a contradictory argument when you sit there and say that Dillon is playing hard but Bowey wasn't yet still say Dillon's the only one that did. That hit was late and high and those penalties are always a matter of opinion. Bowey doesn't have to eat anything because in that stage of the game he's not required to go into fetch the puck. For every garbage insult you want to throw at a Sharks player, there's a Cap player guilty of that same crap throughout the course of the game so stop pretending like you and your team are above the whole thing. They very clearly are not.

Which Capitals were throwing elbows and late-game retaliatory slashes? Oh, none of them? Thought so.

By the way, I didn't say Bowey wasn't playing hard. I said that he saw how aggressively Dillon was playing near the end of the game, and didn't back off. Fact is that if Dillon weren't building up steam, he wouldn't have been hit at all, "high" or otherwise, and it's very clear based on how he handled himself in the dying seconds of the game that he was out for a pound of flesh, one way or another. The fact that he couldn't even take that hit like a man leads me to very justifiably double down on calling him a weasel.

Why would anyone willingly let their guard down against that?

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
1. Dillon was definitely skating a bit hard after the puck (forechecking as a defenseman no less) with seconds left in the game.
2. Bowey played the body (mostly with two hands on the stick across Dillons side midsection - Not High by any means).
3. Dillon was pissed and brought his stick (which had been flung up in the air by the incident) down with negligence and ferocity (to what aim is totally uncertain).
4. Dillon connected with Boweys hand - textbook slash in an extreme sense. 1 game - certainly warranted.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It was a chippy game, which is why a play like Bowie' that late is going to generate a reaction. Games like this or rivalry games always do when a play like that is made. Was it one that deserved a baseball swing? Absolutely not, but you seriously can't expect a guy like Dillon to just skate away there.

And in a chippy game Bowie's shove/whatever would not have been a surprise especially with how Dillon was playing. Bowey gave him a shove around the hip area, mostly with his left glove. It's not an excuse to chop a guy.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
In the early part of this thread the consensus was that goon Dillon would get ~5 games. 2-3 minimum for a completely reckless, severe slash in a decided game. He gets 1 and ol' Joe nothing but the NHL has it in for the Sharks?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
In the early part of this thread the consensus was that goon Dillon would get ~5 games. 2-3 minimum for a completely reckless, severe slash in a decided game. He gets 1 and ol' Joe nothing but the NHL has it in for the Sharks?

Goon Dillon? That is funny.

A completely reckless, severe slash - that didn't result in an injury. Hyperbole much?

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Love the Department of Player Safety.
"...brings his stick down forcefully on to the hand of Bowey"
"...this is slashing"
"...not part of a hockey play"
"...frustrated player delivering a retaliatory and forceful slash to a vulnerable area of an opponent's body"

Goes on to suspend Dillon for 17:47 (This is his average TOI/G)

Good thing the NHL wants to cut down on slashes this season!

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Love the Department of Player Safety.
"...brings his stick down forcefully on to the hand of Bowey"
"...this is slashing"
"...not part of a hockey play"
"...frustrated player delivering a retaliatory and forceful slash to a vulnerable area of an opponent's body"

Goes on to suspend Dillon for 17:47 (This is his average TOI/G)

Good thing the NHL wants to cut down on slashes this season!
Yeah, I don't understand how 1 out of 82 games makes sense. League basically described it as a non-hockey play with intent/malice but barely do anything about it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Which Capitals were throwing elbows and late-game retaliatory slashes? Oh, none of them? Thought so.

By the way, I didn't say Bowey wasn't playing hard. I said that he saw how aggressively Dillon was playing near the end of the game, and didn't back off. Fact is that if Dillon weren't building up steam, he wouldn't have been hit at all, "high" or otherwise, and it's very clear based on how he handled himself in the dying seconds of the game that he was out for a pound of flesh, one way or another. The fact that he couldn't even take that hit like a man leads me to very justifiably double down on calling him a weasel.

Why would anyone willingly let their guard down against that?

Bowey himself got up high with the hit and it was late so don't play innocent with your team. It's disingenuous and it's transparent. Dillon chasing after the puck is his job there and he's not supposed to be hit that late and that high especially in the dying stages of a decided game. And you did say that Bowey wasn't playing hard when you specifically said that Dillon was the only one that was playing hard in that moment. The only weasel is someone like you deploying your double standards because it's your team and they're totally innocent even when they're not. And your interpretation of Dillon in that situation is a complete guess and not something that should be taken as anything remotely close to a fact like you present it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I don't understand how 1 out of 82 games makes sense. League basically described it as a non-hockey play with intent/malice but barely do anything about it.
Because history, injury and context play a role in these things. Dillon had never even been fined in almost 400 games prior. Bowey wasn't injured, and the slash wasn't unprovoked (again, not saying it was the right move: it wasn't, but Bowey interfered with him in the waning moments)

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Because history, injury and context play a role in these things. Dillon had never even been fined in almost 400 games prior. Bowey wasn't injured, and the slash wasn't unprovoked (again, not saying it was the right move: it wasn't, but Bowey interfered with him in the waning moments)

Interference with a low contact cross check usually doesn't result in a two handed chop like this one. Granted his stick was coming from way up in the air and I don't think he intended to slash the guy, he still made contact. 1 game is totally reasonable.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Bowey himself got up high with the hit and it was late so don't play innocent with your team. It's disingenuous and it's transparent. Dillon chasing after the puck is his job there and he's not supposed to be hit that late and that high especially in the dying stages of a decided game. And you did say that Bowey wasn't playing hard when you specifically said that Dillon was the only one that was playing hard in that moment. The only weasel is someone like you deploying your double standards because it's your team and they're totally innocent even when they're not. And your interpretation of Dillon in that situation is a complete guess and not something that should be taken as anything remotely close to a fact like you present it.

Okay bud. You stay in that bubble of yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad