Waived: Brendan Smith (Update: CLEARED)

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I don't think they put in a whole lot of research into his play before the trade, or they did. Not sure which I want to believe.

Based on basically every decision our front office has made at the NHL-level the last 3 years, probably the former.

Smith from last year's playoffs isn't worth 4.5 million. And he has NEVER played that well prior.

Reactions: Off Sides

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So you're saying that Smith is a decent NHL'er but it was still overpayment?

I can agree with that.
Yes.

His weaknesses, like basically everyone else on this team, are amplified by the coach.

Honestly, I hope he gets claimed. Let's clear the full cap hit. But if he doesn't, well, then we need to fire AV. But, I mean, the evidence is piling up and piling up. AV and Gorton are running this clown show together.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Depends on whether Gorton acted by himself or if he was taking recommendations from his bosses.

I know that sound much like the, Sather makes the bad moves and Gorton the good ones thing, but I think it's likely both of them as well as some other opinions, including AVs, guiding this whole thing and they likely all have to try to keep each other happy.

Smith was never that good, I know the stats like to show he was, but in this case they are showing off parts of him being paired with Green, Part of him playing behind Green as well as behind other players, and parts of Smith playing against the weakest competition Detroit could put him up against.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes.

His weaknesses, like basically everyone else on this team, are amplified by the coach.

Honestly, I hope he gets claimed. Let's clear the full cap hit. But if he doesn't, well, then we need to fire AV. But, I mean, the evidence is piling up and piling up. AV and Gorton are running this clown show together.

Many people didn't see it at the time, or didn't want to see it, but the evidence was there when AV was somehow still employed after the second round.

I'm usually not one to pin an entire series loss on anyone but the players, but AV literally handed Ottawa that series. He single-handedly won it for them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So if someone claims him, we are done with his contract.

If not, he goes to the minors and can be recalled whenever, but we are still paying his contract.

Is that correct?

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Good riddance! He played well last year but he clearly put in zero effort after signing that deal.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This seems utterly pointless to me.

I'm with you. I totally don't understand the TIMING of it.

I get that signing Smith became a more pronounced question after Shattenkirk was signed and the way Smith came into the camp and performed this season.

However, what's the point of putting him on waivers now? If he gets claimed then there are less options to move and get something in return for Holden (Kampfer).

If he's not then is it a cap move? How much of his salary would still count against the cap?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If he gets claimed I guess that’s fine cause they get out of the contract

I’d rather him than Staal long term though

As others have said, in another system he would be better

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I dont see much of a downside here. Except the possibility that AV is going to stick around.

Either he gets picked up and that's that.

Or he comes into camp ready to play.

Smith can be polarizing but he has never been even close to a waiver wire guy. He's never played anywhere near as bad as he had this year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is this a buyout?

No. Players can't be bought out during the season. One of three things will happen:

1) Smith will be claimed by another team
2) Smith will clear waivers and remain with the team
3) Smith will clear waivers and be sent down to Hartford

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah if he goes to the AHL we pay his contract minus something like $950k.

I don't see this as bad, at all.

If for some reason some team takes the bait, that's great for us. We get out from a bad contract.

If not, we at least get to see some younger D play the rest of this season and Smith can be reevaluated next season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t get it. Yes he’s been absolutely horrific and showed up badly out of shape. But it’s way to soon into a 4 year contract to pull the plug on the guy and tell the league he’s so bad we’re waiving him.

My only real guess is this is tough love. They’re pissed off at him and are flexing their muscles showing they have no problem burying money in the minors so wake up and come back next year ready to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad