Waived: Brendan Smith (Update: CLEARED)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yay Smith waived, Glen Sather was joining a press conference today, but not sure when. I saw the news on facebook. :)

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
There’s gotta be something behind the scenes going on here. He obviously came into camp in bad shape but the multiple healthy scratches, playing on bottom pairs, etc. He’s horrendous this season but to waive him in year 1 after giving out that contract? There’s gotta be something more here.

Reactions: Machinehead

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Imagine admitting to your employer that you made a $16 million error, and they let it slide.

What I'd give to have the job security of an NHL GM.

Seriously. Gorton should be gone as well. This is piss poor evaluation from the front office and GM.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He and DeAngelo were shit last night. They are not a good pair. Smith has been worse though. I'm sorry it had to come to this for him but he earned it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There’s gotta be something behind the scenes going on here. He obviously came into camp in bad shape but the multiple healthy scratches, playing on bottom pairs, etc. He’s horrendous this season but to waive him in year 1 after giving out that contract? There’s gotta be something more here.

Another hideous failure of our pro scouts. I think they need the heads, spikes, walls treatment.

See the above post. This isn't on our pro scouts. Part of it is on Smith. Part of it our coach. More of it on Smith but AV definitely gets blame. There could be things we don't know, there always are.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Yeah, exactly.
Believe me, I remember.

Given that Smith was like a 55% possession player before he came here, I'm surprised you were always against it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't understand why people aren't connecting the dots that are so ****ing obvious.

Gorton and AV are on. the. same. page.

He's going to be the coach through this rebuild.

This organization is truly a joke. Top to bottom.
Incoming AV is being relieved of duties press conference :sarcasm:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This seems utterly pointless to me.

Smith came into camp out of shape. Maybe this is his punishment. Not even kidding. He can go play his ass off in Hartford, come back to camp ready to go and fight for a spot next year. Hopefully Asshat Vigneault will no longer be coaching and Smith will look like the defenseman that we saw in the playoffs.

Reactions: Inferno

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

The fact he basically sucks?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't understand why people aren't connecting the dots that are so ****ing obvious.

Gorton and AV are on. the. same. page.

He's going to be the coach through this rebuild.

This organization is truly a joke. Top to bottom.

Yeah, I get that Smith has been bad, but this reeks of "my coach doesn't like this guy, so out he goes."

The inmate runs the asylum.

Coach Vigneault, GMAV, President Vigneault.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Smith came into camp out of shape. Maybe this is his punishment. Not even kidding. He can go play his ass off in Hartford, come back to camp ready to go and fight for a spot next year. Hopefully Asshat Vigneault will no longer be coaching and Smith will look like the defenseman that we saw in the playoffs.

I could get behind this.

And two months away from AV playing real hockey again could help.

Reactions: Inferno

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Given that Smith was like a 55% possession player before he came here, I'm surprised you were always against it.
His strengths lied in breaking up plays at the blue line. This system doesn't do that.

And I'm all for good CF players, and especially good relCA60 players, which Smith was, and still is, but if you're getting $4m+, I want some offense, too. The entire basis of moneypucking a team is to not overpay, right? Smith at this AAV was always an overpayment, in term and $. You can find equally effective players for cheaper.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To be fair, the vast majority of the people here were very happy with resigning Smith.

FWIW he played fairly well for us after we got them and gave our defense some edge. This year he's been pretty atrocious all in all but he's also got company. I don't like Holden right now very much either. Kampfer competes but not always very smartly. DeAngelo's defense sometimes reminds me of Del Zotto's. Staal has surprisingly been somewhat effective but with him it's just keeping it always simple. I'd give Shatty a pass--I think he was playing on a bum leg for at least 20-25 games.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
His strengths lied in breaking up plays at the blue line. This system doesn't do that.

And I'm all for good CF players, and especially good relCA60 players, which Smith was, and still is, but if you're getting $4m+, I want some offense, too. The entire basis of moneypucking a team is to not overpay, right? Smith at this AAV was always an overpayment, in term and $. You can find equally effective players for cheaper.

So you're saying that Smith is a decent NHL'er but it was still overpayment?

I can agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad