Brendan Shanahan

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How good was he? What type of impact did he have on the ice?

2234239.jpg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He was sometimes criticized for not playing physical enough. Mostly unfair, considering he was a HoF player. Easy to like, easy to see the value of.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Almost like a rough draft of Ovechkin. Or a more naturally skilled Benn.

He was legitimately physical, a capable skater (for the times), and a sharp shooter. He was a beast when it came to sharp-angle goals.
He was a game-changer.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He's a hall of famer. In his worst years he was a third liner. Fourth on a good team

He could probably be an nhler today

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He wasn't the type of player you'd want as your best forward if you were contending, but he was a great core/complimentary piece.

He was a prototype power forward from that era. He wasn't necessarily an imitating hitter by any means, but he'd use his big body. He also feared no one. He'd drop the gloves with anyone if the time called for it and was the ultimate teammate from that standpoint. He could play the PK as well, but his biggest calling card was his goal scoring ability. Five times he finished top-10 in NHL goal scoring. Very heavy shot whether it was a one-timer from the circle or him carrying the puck. Like someone just mentioned, he was the sharp angle master. He probably scored more goals from behind the goal line than any other Wing. He'd frequently try to catch goalies napping/cheating and bank it in off of them.

Definitely a key addition that led to the Cups.

Probably the 5th best Red Wing forward of the playoff streak era, behind only the 4 core centers.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Shanahan is my favourite.
He could score, hit, fight.

He stopped playing physical after 97/98 I think as he injured his back.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Like a Milan Lucic, though a bit less physical play, but a ton better scoring and skating abilities. And much smarter on the ice.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
He was a very good first line player. A true powerforward. A pity we never got see him paired with Fedorov until they were both 33/34yo under Dave Lewis, Scotty always liked to spread out the scoring and both players had a resurgence that year.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He was a very good first line player. A true powerforward. A pity we never got see him paired with Fedorov until they were both 33/34yo under Dave Lewis, Scotty always liked to spread out the scoring and both players had a resurgence that year.

He played with fedorov under bowman. Holmstrøm fedorov shanahan. Then in the playoffs bowman used fedorov yzerman shanahan.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was sometimes criticized for not playing physical enough. Mostly unfair, considering he was a HoF player. Easy to like, easy to see the value of.

He was? I don't remember him being criticized for that. The guy dropped the gloves in his first game as a Red Wing to stick up for a teammate, instantly winning me and Wings fans everywhere over. As a 37 year old he fought Brashear in order to stick up for his teammate Jagr.

He wasn't Eric Lindros but he didn't back down from anybody.

He had a big impact on the Red Wings getting over the playoff hump and winning the Cup in '97. The guy was willing to sacrifice offense to adhere to Bowman's left-wing lock, yet could still score goals, and was willing to punch you in the face if you tried to go after him or his teammates.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

He got paired with Datsyuk after the lockout, which just happened to be #13's breakout season. Shanahan scored 40 goals - as someone said at the time, the quietest 40 goal season in NHL history

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Shanahan-Fedorov-Yzerman was one of Bowman's favorite lines during the '01-02 season.

ShanahanYzermanFedorov_RoyBlakeForsberg_zps03263d1d.jpg

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He got paired with Datsyuk after the lockout, which just happened to be #13's breakout season. Shanahan scored 40 goals - as someone said at the time, the quietest 40 goal season in NHL history

I wouldn't really call that Datysuk's breakout season. Datsyuk basically continued to improve season-after-season until he hit 07-09.

I'd say the biggest season where it went from "this kid's skill level is insane" to "he actually could blossom into an elite, elite player" was 03-04 when Fedorov was gone and Datsyuk took over the #1 center spot. From a league scoring stance, Datstuk wasn't far behind what he did in 05-06. Back in December of 03 he was actually even leading the NHL in scoring at one point.

05-06 the game changed with the officiating and Datsyuk was clearly getting stronger and better defensively, but I'd say 03-04 was his real moment of showing us what he could do with more responsibility. Then I think the 07 playoffs were a big turning point and then he took it to another level after that.

But yeah, the Datsyuk, Shanny, Draper line of 05-06. Shanny scored 40. I'd argue playing with 13 actually helped that cause. Shanny's two seasons sandwiched around that one were 29 and 30 goals. I remember when 05-06 ended, I was actually ready for him to move on - despite being a long time fan favorite and potting 40. His overall game was becoming less effective.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't really call that Datysuk's breakout season. Datsyuk basically continued to improve season-after-season until he hit 07-09.

I'd say the biggest season where it went from "this kid's skill level is insane" to "he actually could blossom into an elite, elite player" was 03-04 when Fedorov was gone and Datsyuk took over the #1 center spot. From a league scoring stance, Datstuk wasn't far behind what he did in 05-06. Back in December of 03 he was actually even leading the NHL in scoring at one point.

05-06 the game changed with the officiating and Datsyuk was clearly getting stronger and better defensively, but I'd say 03-04 was his real moment of showing us what he could do with more responsibility. Then I think the 07 playoffs were a big turning point and then he took it to another level after that.

But yeah, the Datsyuk, Shanny, Draper line of 05-06. Shanny scored 40. I'd argue playing with 13 actually helped that cause. Shanny's two seasons sandwiched around that one were 29 and 30 goals. I remember when 05-06 ended, I was actually ready for him to move on - despite being a long time fan favorite and potting 40. His overall game was becoming less effective.

Datsyuk's breakout is remembered that way because he was a ghost in the playoffs early in his career. I think you're right, but the reason when looking back it seems different is he had a really rocky start in terms of playoff performance and it impacted the trust level in terms of elite initially.

Shanahan is one of the greatest wingers in league history. Shanny is the epitome of a power forward. Guy was an absolute beauty.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Like a Milan Lucic, though a bit less physical play, but a ton better scoring and skating abilities. And much smarter on the ice.
You can't compare that scrub to the HOF winger who was one of the best power forwards in the history of the game.
Shanahan-Fedorov-Yzerman was one of Bowman's favorite lines during the '01-02 season.

ShanahanYzermanFedorov_RoyBlakeForsberg_zps03263d1d.jpg

That was the goal Roy thought he saved :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The best series last 30 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad