Brendan Shanahan, Mark Hunter, Kyle Dubas

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Not necessarily.

Our management team shouldnt be gunning for the playoffs (i.e. Short-term thinking / classic Leafs moves) and should be focused on moving out some of our core, creating capspace, bringing in low-risk veterans, and building up our future assets.

The most likely result of that is us finishing bottom 5-10, BUT the games stilll need to be played, and surprises do happen. At least in that scenario, if we are competing for a playoff spot, it will be because multiple of our younger players broke out and were having good/great years (Monahan + Gaudreau + Brodie as comparisons from Calgary this season) as opposed to making the playoffs as a capmaxed but average team.

If we make the playoffs because of youth breaking out, that's a good thing. It means we dont necessarily NEED multiple high draft picks, because a young emerging core would be appearing, which through good asset management could be solidified into a stronger core in the coming years.

I dont want to squeak into 8th place on the backs of a hot season from Kessel/Bozak, but Im fine squeaking into the playoffs if we've moved out some combination of Kessel + Bozak + Phaneuf + etc, which would solidify our farm into being one of the better prospect systems in the league, and then making the playoffs due to breakout seasons from multiple of Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Holland, Bernier, Panik, etc. Very very unlikely mind you, but i wont be shouting at my TV if that happens, especially with Nylander + one of Strome/Marner/Hanifin + trade returns from above players coming up the pipeline.

Great post.

With the bottom 3 draft picks being lottery based, finishing 5-10 isn't the worst thing in the world anymore. Going full Buffalo would hinder more than help.

I actually think it's crucial for next year that the Leafs reinstall a competitive attitude in the dressing room. The goal of the players and coach next season should definitely be playoffs, the goal of management should still be focussed on the long term. ie. even if they were still in at at the TDL, look to be sellers again. No dealing draft picks for rentals, and resisting the temptations of the UFA market, outside of 1 year deals they can flip at the deadline.

If Kessel, Dion & Bozak are gone it's unlikely they'll make it, but it should be stressed to the guys remaining Kadri, JVR, Gardiner & Rielly that playing with no pride and giving up on the year is no longer acceptable.

Give the fans a young team that's wants to compete, while also picking up extra draft picks and planning for the future. Win-win.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I didn't realize this but Sean Burke already has an additional title to Goaltending Coach.

He is currently Assistant to the General Manager / Goaltender Coach for Arizona. He has been in gaining experience in the NHL as Director of Prospect Development since 2008.

If Leafs manage to snag Burke. He may be an Assistant General Manager/Goaltending Coach with the Leafs.

As I said earlier, I can see him being a future GM in the NHL. Perhaps this will be a bigger signing if it happens than what we think it will be. Could be the Leafs next GM with a few more years experience under his belt.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
So what is right about teaching young guys like Reilly,Nylander to be losers? With the new lotto format, 10 teams vying for 3 picks, what is the benefit to losing? Whether this team makes the playoffs is debatable but trying to lose is pathetic. You ruin what you already have and create a losing atmosphere.

I can't see bringing in Babcock and telling him he needs to suck for a year or two when there is no benefit anymore.Next years draft wont be like this year's freak show.So you could lose for nothing.We need to try and win and just draft better, no matter where we pick.
Absolutely. We do not want to become like Edmonton. The young guys need to progress and lesrn how to win not how to lose

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I didn't realize this but Sean Burke already has an additional title to Goaltending Coach.

He is currently Assistant to the General Manager / Goaltender Coach for Arizona. He has been in gaining experience in the NHL as Director of Prospect Development since 2008.

If Leafs manage to snag Burke. He may be an Assistant General Manager/Goaltending Coach with the Leafs.

Has Rick St. Croix really not done his job?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad