Brendan Leipsic

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Leipsic, Komarov, Soshnikov, Timashov, and Dzierkals.

All play a similar game and will likely make for intimidating play against the opponents.

When you hear Babcock a few weeks ago wishing that teams didn't just have "respect for" the Leafs, but "fear". These are the guys that will do it.

Imagine 3 years from now having 1-2 Komarovs on the ice at all times. Sticks in passing lanes, speed and ferocity on the forecheck...

And Hunter is looking for more.

The Shanaplan is a two-pronged attack. Speed and aggression on the forecheck. The Knife. And skill and finesse to follow it up. The Scalpel.

The Leafs will be slicing and dicing their opponents.

HAHA love his post. I can see that happening. We will be a very fast skating highly skilled feisty team. Mostly a team with heart.

mikebel111*

Leipsic is also waiver eligible next season, so unless he has a terrible camp, he will likely be with the big club

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Regarding Leipsic's size:

Dave Keon and Max Bentley were 5'9" in an age where everyone else was at least 4 inches taller or more. And don't get me started on 5'6" Theo Fleury and his over 1000 points in his NHL career. This is a New Leafs. They are going further and further in this direction. Smaller, but Faster. More skilled. Defensively responsible. Puck possession wizards. A strategy based on finesse, quick accurate passes and play making. They will still have toughness and size but that is not at the heart of their larger vision.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
You know what would actually be useful mikebel111?

Get me a list of players in the NHL that are 170 pounds and under.

You can only guess his real weight so let the game do the talking at this point. He played great yesterday, but we'll see in the future is Leipsic has NHLer in him.

I don't have and access to Brendan Leipsic so I wouldn't speculate if he makes it brakes it based on his weight. I think we have coaching staff to push him to get bigger and better. I let them worry.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Happy for this kid, always special to see someone live out a dream. Was always intrigued by him when we acquired him. I think he fits nicely on a 3rd line in the modern NHL style.

Size is becoming less and less of a factor in the NHL. I don't think it's an issue with this kid.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I've always been intrigued with him as well and am looking forward to seeing how he develops after spending a year with the Maple Leafs' strength and conditioning coaches. He's not very big right now but if he can become stocky, a la Marchand, it would go a long way in improving his NHL game.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Are you suggesting that he can't put on some mass over the next few years? Kids his age always have a smaller frame than they do later in their careers. He can eventually get up to 185-190 lbs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Dave Keon and Max Bentley were 5'9" in an age where everyone else was at least 4 inches taller or more. And don't get me started on 5'6" Theo Fleury and his over 1000 points in his NHL career. This is a New Leafs. They are going further and further in this direction. Smaller, but Faster. More skilled. Defensively responsible. Puck possession wizards. A strategy based on finesse, quick accurate passes and play making. They will still have toughness and size but that is not at the heart of their larger vision.

****ing right , I hope we don't draft anyone over 5-8 or weighs more than 160 .

mike4kix

Aug 26, 2013
Toronto

How about Gaudreau, Kane and Gallagher who are/were at 170 pounds or under while playing in the NHL. I'm sure there are more. Of course not comparing Leipsic to these 3, just answering your question...

buttman*

Average size of players is bigger now than in the 70's and 80's.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
Leipsic is also waiver eligible next season, so unless he has a terrible camp, he will likely be with the big club

He's only on year 2 of his ELC. He's not waiver eligible until after next year. Also depending on the contract he signs which would almost certainly be having to clear waivers if sent to the ahl. But don't have to worry about it until after next year anyways

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His positioning was actually quite sound.

I'll give him that.

But again, he's not an asset... just an occupier of a roster spot.

Anyone on the roster is an asset. Some are more valuable than others. There are times when your assets go belly up and you lose on your investment but that's life.
In the case of Leipsic, he's a good hard nosed hockey player. Love his drive, heart and he is deceptively creative. I hope he sticks with the big club as I enjoy watching him on the marlies and will love watching him on the leafs.
As for your issue with size, just because he isn't league average means nothing. If he can play the game at the needed level that's all that's nesicary. Did you like his game last night?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I liked his game, Arcobello's and Leivo's. All three exceeded expectations. Sure you can throw in that they had to make a big first impression, but how many guys have tried to do the same and showed very little?

We have some very nice depth now and its about to get a lot deeper soon. Yeah we are headed in a very nice direction.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he can be a Brad Marchand type that would be such a stimulus to the organization. I'd like to see him get time along with Leivo down the stretch and have him penciled in for promotion next year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Seems like every time he's on the ice he makes an impact or does something good. I think he's going to be an important top 9 player for the Leafs going forward. Nerves of steel...doesn't seem to play scared at all despite being so small.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
If Kadri weren't dipsie-doodling all period at the blueline he could have hit Leipsic three times up the middle.

Kid looks wicked, guaranteed top 9 player going forward. Better not be sent down.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Am I the only one who thinks he's not looking good tonight? That's totally ok, it's his second NHL game. But he's not making good play when he has the puck, and not in the right places when he needs to be.

OvenMittz*

So anybody here watching the game want to give me some updates on how he's playing?

Describe the move he pulled.. I can't watch the game.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Am I the only one who thinks he's not looking good tonight? That's totally ok, it's his second NHL game. But he's not making good play when he has the puck, and not in the right places when he needs to be.

Don't often disagree with you, Ovate, but I have been thinking the opposite actually. Noticed Leipsic in smart, open offensive positions several times where his linemates don't see/find him.

Probably a bit of both, I'd guess.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Had a great pass off the boards to himself to break out of the zone. Thought he was Rielly was a second cause ihe was so smooth moving past thr forechecker with such speed.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So anybody here watching the game want to give me some updates on how he's playing?

Describe the move he pulled.. I can't watch the game.

He had a very good game, one of the Leafs better forwards out there .. Fast, shifty, skilled, and good at both ends of the rink. Created some chances and looked great with Kadri. Bounced off of defenders though so more strength and some NHL experience will go a long way but he's looking promising.

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
First time I was able to watch him play and was impressed. Definitely looks like a solid top 9 player. Hopefully he can be our version of a Brendon Gallagher once he solidifies a spot on our roster

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland

I thought he had a good game. Seemed to create some chances

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
We really deserve to come away with an absolute steal here. The last few years have been painful seeing some of the talents we've either given up or missed out on though poor trading.

91 in 123 in the AHL, he's definitely earned his chance. Hopefully he can stick around and grow into a top 9 role next season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he and Leivo will get a chance in the bottom 6 next year, 3rd or 4th line depending on how it all shakes out but they are good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad