Brendan Leipsic

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think he and Leivo will get a chance in the bottom 6 next year, 3rd or 4th line depending on how it all shakes out but they are good players.

We have so many of these 3rd liner fringe 2nd liners its not even funny. It's like being stocked with Peter Hollands only they vary from player to player in what they bring.

That's not a bad thing though. Some could surprise us all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leipsic seems to fit perfectly size wise with what the Leafs are trending towards in small < 6 foot wingers. J/K

Leafs are only going to be able to fit a small quantity of small forwards in their forward group. Leipsic will need to be at the top of the short list to make sure he gets his opportunity once the Leafs start adding full sized players to round out the group ahead.

Leipsic will have a lot of competition in the future of similar sized players competing for NHL jobs from Leafs prospect pool.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leipsic seems to fit perfectly size wise with what the Leafs are trending towards in small < 6 foot wingers. J/K

Leafs are only going to be able to fit a small quantity of small forwards in their forward group. Leipsic will need to be at the top of the short list to make sure he gets his opportunity once the Leafs start adding full sized players to round out the group ahead.

Leipsic will have a lot of competition in the future of similar sized players competing for NHL jobs from Leafs prospect pool.

I'm seeing Leipsic, Timashov, Bracco, Johnson as the sub 6 feet tall guys

Marner is listed at 5'11 but apparently he's hit 6 feet tall this year.

Also Kapanen, Brown, and Nylander are all 6 feet tall now (who knew guys could keep growing after the draft!)

I think Leipsic plays bigger then he is so that is fine, he's shown in the AHL he can play a pro game, and so far, he's passed the eye test in the AHL.

Timashov, Bracco, and Johnson, a 5th, 2nd, and 6th round pick, size aside, I think the deck was always going to be stacked against them. I always thought that Bracco might make more sense later on to use as a trade chip once we start identifying needs (top 2-4 RHD, power winger etc)

Funny thing is Leo is listed as 5'11, but no one ever bring that height up.

Either way, we have Gauthier in the system, Leivo looking like he'll stick, JVR, and added a big winger in Lindberg.

Add anyone of Matthews, Pulj, and Laine to our forward group and it's a fine mix. Or alternatively if we add on the back end, that works fine too, Chychrun and Sergachev are pretty strong guys.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leipsic is ultra confident with the puck, and you saw it again last night IMO. He's not worried about stick handling in traffic, around a defenders skates or near the blue line.

True definition of a spark-plug offensive player IMO

Stylistically(just the look), reminds of Tyler Ennis and/or Gionta. Obviously not saying he'll be as good as them, just talking styles.

I was watching old Leaf clips, and Kasperi Kapanen carries the puck/skates very similar to Sergei Berezin, check it out sometime

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Leipsic is ultra confident with the puck, and you saw it again last night IMO. He's not worried about stick handling in traffic, around a defenders skates or near the blue line.

True definition of a spark-plug offensive player IMO

Stylistically(just the look), reminds of Tyler Ennis and/or Gionta. Obviously not saying he'll be as good as them, just talking styles.

I was watching old Leaf clips, and Kasperi Kapanen carries the puck/skates very similar to Sergei Berezin, check it out sometime

Man, Berezin was such a joy to watch. I can see the comparison but Berezin was so much smoother. Too bad he suffered from haphephobia.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's what I loved about him the most. Even his shot was smooth.

Problem was he didn't pass it very much. At times the team can be guilty of overpassing and you want someone to just finish it off, but he was a little too selfish with the shots.

Ah well. Another day in Leaf's history.

I like Leipsic though, I like the Marchand and Gallagher comparisons, pretty accurate.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Problem was he didn't pass it very much. At times the team can be guilty of overpassing and you want someone to just finish it off, but he was a little too selfish with the shots.

Ah well. Another day in Leaf's history.

I like Leipsic though, I like the Marchand and Gallagher comparisons, pretty accurate.

Personally, I'd compare him to Tucker without the fighting or crazy. When I see him skate, it's what he reminds me of.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Semi-off topic, but does anyone think Leipsic looks like Edward Norton?

If you mixed Edward Norton with Cory Matthews from Boy Meets World, you get Brendan Leipsic :P

I loved his game last night. I said it in the GDT, but he was so active and involved in all 3 zones, it was a treat to see. He just looked straight-up hungry, which is what you want to see from these kids coming up. Hopefully he can keep this up, I'd love to see him on the opening night roster next year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The kid is a waterbug. Good fit for a guy who can play top 9 with offensive skill.

He'll be with the Leafs at the season opener.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I don't know if it has been said here, but Freddy the goat has said Leipsic is the best trash talker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad