Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Bouwmeester is a mobile defensive d-man.
You know what, you’re right. I am fooled by the same thing with Jay, that I see others on this board get fooled with about Brendan. Whenever I see STL play, and FLA before that, I see all that speed and skill and assume he’s a PMD. The stats bear out your assertion. Jay B is a very good comparable. My bad.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
This kid's confidence is such a roller coaster. He looks completely lost start of the year in NHL, goes down to the AHL and gets it together, comes up to the NHL and looks good, though lost in some games where given too many minutes, then sent down to the AHL for the playoffs and completely lost again. What's the prescription?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This kid's confidence is such a roller coaster. He looks completely lost start of the year in NHL, goes down to the AHL and gets it together, comes up to the NHL and looks good, though lost in some games where given too many minutes, then sent down to the AHL for the playoffs and completely lost again. What's the prescription?

time and patience.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Is that a fantasy or your actual NHL projection?

Actual projection. Really mobile defenseman who can compliment a #1 D on a top pairing, but never really tops out as a true #1D. Bouwmeester was projected to be an all-situation defender who produced points and drove offense. He got there for a little while toward the end of his time in Florida, but after the Flames trade, he was more of a high end compliment.

I'd like to see a Guhle - Ristolainen pairing in the future. Or, if by some act of God the Sabres get Dahlin, a Guhle - Dahlin pairing.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He probably does. But is he really a true offensive d-man or is he a defensive guy who has an exceptional skill that will help him move the puck out of the zone?
Neither. He's really good at skating and poised enough with the puck to make plays in both zones, but needs polish at each end of the ice. His defense is not defending, and his offense is being hard to keep up with.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He probably does. But is he really a true offensive d-man or is he a defensive guy who has an exceptional skill that will help him move the puck out of the zone?

I think he's a hockey version of a tweener. Great skater but not enough on the offensive end to truly run a powerplay or break the team out of the zone (aside from skating it out). On the defensive end, his skating will always put him in position, which in itself makes him a great partner for someone who likes to roam.

The above description is how I'd describe Bouwmeester, who is the best defensive tweener I've watched. A much better version of Tallinder.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he's a hockey version of a tweener. Great skater but not enough on the offensive end to truly run a powerplay or break the team out of the zone (aside from skating it out). On the defensive end, his skating will always put him in position, which in itself makes him a great partner for someone who likes to roam.

The above description is how I'd describe Bouwmeester, who is the best defensive tweener I've watched. A much better version of Tallinder.

Hank, Hedican, Bouwmeester... there is such a dearth of good defensemen on this team seeing someone out there who is any sort of quality would be most welcome.

He may not have the same level of offensive creativity in the zone or with the puck on his stick, but his ability to get up and down the ice at high speed will generate opportunities. He certainly seems to understand how to fill a lane and get to the net.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hank, Hedican, Bouwmeester... there is such a dearth of good defensemen on this team seeing someone out there who is any sort of quality would be most welcome.

He may not have the same level of offensive creativity in the zone or with the puck on his stick, but his ability to get up and down the ice at high speed will generate opportunities. He certainly seems to understand how to fill a lane and get to the net.

Hedican is a good reference point for Guhle at the moment

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It's a little disheartening he has not seized a roster spot after apparently being close his first 2 training camps from being drafted at making the team. I am hoping he can be an internal replacement for Scandella. Would be great if he can step in full time in 20-21 and play a full season as a #4/5 getting 17-18 minutes a game. No desire to extend Scandella at 5 mil per.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not worried. Clearly a confidence thing. It'll be ok. No need to rush him. Let him stay in Rochester all year and work things out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad