Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
As much as I like Guhle, I'm a little afraid that he only really looked so good a few years ago because the team/farm was so bad and we desperately needed his skating. I wonder if he really has the head to be a consistently productive pro player and not a liability.

Reactions: jc17

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
As much as I like Guhle, I'm a little afraid that he only really looked so good a few years ago because the team/farm was so bad and we desperately needed his skating. I wonder if he really has the head to be a consistently productive pro player and not a liability.

Eh, he's doing very well for himself in pro hockey, given his lack of production in junior. He was a true "project" who is being treated like a project, and I think, ultimately, he'll be an NHL player because of it. The thing that he did tonight should not be considered emblematic of his overall play. I don't think he's a "boom or bust" guy. Just let him work through it. This is technically his 4th season of exposure to pro hockey, even though he has only played one full pro season. He wouldn't be the first 21-year old to enter his second full pro season thinking, "I got this..." only to, in fact, not have it yet. If he can come back from his mistakes and become a better player for it, he'll be an NHL player.

Reactions: schpaff

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I would like Guhle to succeed but he is making it hard for me to believe in him. As noted he never made it big in junior, never made it to wjc, has not produced in AHL. When he first came up to the nhl he looked fantastic. Not any more. He is a superb skater and maybe he can be coached into something but his window is closing soon.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Brendan Guhle represented well at the AHL All-Star Skills competition finishing 3rd in both fastest skater and hardest shot.

Reactions: Dingo44

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Brendan Guhle's steady development lands him in AHL All-Star Classic
Taylor praises Guhle's improved defensive play.
“Everybody always wants to make the big deal of the offensive side of everybody,” Taylor said. “You don’t realize defense wins championships. … That’s why we’re where we’re at (in first place), because those guys are playing the right way, playing defensively, getting sticks on the puck.
“People don’t notice that type of stuff, but that’s what makes our team better is those little things. They’re adding up. That’s why he’s improving. People want to see the 10 goals and 15 goals from him, but his defensive side of the game is really improving, and that’s going to get him to the NHL.”

An NHL scout says he needs to add strength and questions his hockey sense.
The jury, the scout said, is “still out on his hockey IQ and ability to process the game quickly and efficiently.”
“His development has been slower than envisioned based on some of these aforementioned deficiencies,” he said.
The scout said Guhle, who was drafted by the Sabres’ old regime, will eventually play in the NHL but it “will probably be with his second organization.”

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The scout said Guhle, who was drafted by the Sabres’ old regime, will eventually play in the NHL but it “will probably be with his second organization.”

Hate this but probably true. Botterill absolutely has a bias against his predecessors' prospects and for his own.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah, with his defensive game, not overall. The two statements are not contradictory. One says he's developing his defensive game, the other says he's not developing on schedule due to IQ and low speed of processing the game. But go ahead with your own made up reasons.

Thanks to AHL Live I watch most Amerks games, he's playing well, even this anonymous scout declares he will be an NHL player. He implies the Sabres will make a mistake in moving him on to another organization where he will fill a spot on their NHL roster.

But go ahead and continue your obtuse ways.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Thanks to AHL Live I watch most Amerks games, he's playing well, even this anonymous scout declares he will be an NHL player. He implies the Sabres will make a mistake in moving him on to another organization where he will fill a spot on their NHL roster.

But go ahead and continue your obtuse ways.

This is quite clearly your own interpretation. Have at it, I'm not going to try and stop you.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I don’t know what game you’ve been watching, but Guhle has been a nightmare in his own end this year. The tools aren’t the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->