Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Gaunce never his a single opponent in Utica.
He never hit anyone up here until around three games ago either. I was surprised to say the least but out of the blue The Fridge just started banging and crashing last week. It's like he broke through a barrier. I think Green must have had that Al Arbour career talk with him. I'm hoping he can become that bang and crash fourth liner every team needs; he seems like a nice guy.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Is it strange to anyone else why people always misspell the name Gaunce? There's no word in the English language that is spelled like _uance, let alone one that's pronounced that way, is there? "au" would be closer to the phonetic way to spell it out too.
Guance is disturbing close to guano don't you think?

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He never hit anyone up here until around three games ago either. I was surprised to say the least but out of the blue The Fridge just started banging and crashing last week. It's like he broke through a barrier. I think Green must have had that Al Arbour career talk with him. I'm hoping he can become that bang and crash fourth liner every team needs; he seems like a nice guy.

He hit plenty of people here last year and I believe was the team leader in hits/minutes played.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He was by far the most popular Canuck over at my former website Canucks forum, folks just adored him there.

I could never see it myself but now I think I'm finally beginning to catch the Gaunce fever.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'm pretty sure somebody somehow put together a Gaunce highlight reel that's got to be out there somewhere in cyberspace .

I think It'd be a cool add to this thread.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sutter has a history of scoring. Gaunce does not. One is a slump the other is a lifestyle. Think Gaunce can score but until he does it, we cannot be sure. Like his physical play but almost 100 games without scoring with his stick. What is the record to start ones career? John Scott scored a few goals. Markstrome shut out streak vs Gaunce goalless streak. Exciting race.
Markstrom's goalless streak vs Gaunce's goalless streak head to head. An even more exciting race.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Gaunce would undoubtedly feel flattered by all of the attention he's receiving here. Quite unusual for a low scoring fourth line winger, even by Canucks standards.

YIeUnCb.gif

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
*Didn't see a thread on Gaunce, please move this if I am mistaken mods.

Recently finished in at #7 on the Canucks Army rankings (presumably behind Jensen, Corrado, McCann, Shinkaruk, Horvat and Virtanen).

Finished ahead of guys like Subban, Hutton, Cassels and Fox.

LOL @ that prospect list (although in Gillis' defence, it's not always an easy task to accumulate grade A prospects when a team is contending for a cup).

As far as Gaunce goes - man, I have nothing but love and respect for the guy. I truly and utterly hope that the Canucks stick with this kid and that this kid gets his day in the sun one day. He's not the most talented guy around obviously, but he's the ultimate lunch bucket guy. I'd absolutely love to see Gaunce stick it out and become a Jannik Hansen type guy for us.

I have an ultimate soft spot for Gaunce and I'm really pulling for him.

Reactions: cc

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce would undoubtedly feel flattered by all of the attention he's receiving here. Quite unusual for a low scoring fourth line winger, even by Canucks standards.

YIeUnCb.gif
I have an Artem Chubarov-esque appreciation for him. (although Chubarov had a lot more rabid tenacity and forcefulness to his game)

A limited (but somewhat underrated) talent with strong work ethic/mature demeanor, strong hockey sense/high IQ, who can be a force on the forecheck/defensively, legitimately support the flow of the play, and uses his size and strength really well.

Have all the time in the world for these kinds of players, and just generally love ideal fourth line-style players who don't play like tunnel-vision boat anchors/chickens with their heads cut off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I can see him progressing, I really can, but he's just starting from sooo far back. I didn't like the pick at the time, still don't. He and Benning i kind of put in the same boat... so much effort but the objective is invalid. Benning's objective is to rebuild while gaining playoff revenue for the greedy owners, Gaunce's objective seems to work hard but not create anything. Does that make sense?

he's like that kid who's punching and kicking and trying to knock you out but you've got your hand on his forehead keeping him far enough away.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can see him progressing, I really can, but he's just starting from sooo far back. I didn't like the pick at the time, still don't. He and Benning i kind of put in the same boat... so much effort but the objective is invalid. Benning's objective is to rebuild while gaining playoff revenue for the greedy owners, Gaunce's objective seems to work hard but not create anything. Does that make sense?

he's like that kid who's punching and kicking and trying to knock you out but you've got your hand on his forehead keeping him far enough away.
Only if your sole definition for creating anything or having a valid objective is directly generating and finishing off scoring chances. His objective seems to be "protect your goal and keep the puck tilted in the opposite side of the rink", which is totally valid/useful, and he's been successful at it so far.

Sure he could stand to be more offensively assertive and it doesn't seem like his eyes light up at the sight of a scoring chance as much as they should, but he's playing well enough in all other areas of the game that that's a bonus at this point.

Last edited:

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
He is essentially Brendan Sutter but makes over 3 million less. He was probably more physical last game than I've ever seen Sutter be. As for goal scoring he only has 2 less than Sutter.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He is essentially Brendan Sutter but makes over 3 million less. He was probably more physical last game than I've ever seen Sutter be. As for goal scoring he only has 2 less than Sutter.
This is funny.

Unless you take into consideration at the same age as Gaunce, Sutter had 64 goals compared to 1 off his butt.

Should be able to catch him by the end of the year?

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
This is funny.

Unless you take into consideration at the same age as Gaunce, Sutter had 64 goals compared to 1 off his butt.

Should be able to catch him by the end of the year?
Talking about this season.. where did I say career wise? You don't agree he's doing the exact thing Sutter was doing but has 2 goals less?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
How has he not scored a goal hes been playing so well
He actually has played well.

At some point though he has to produce or he becomes nothing more than a Glass or Volpatti. Dorsett and Horvat out is gonna give him his big opportunity to step up.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'm enjoying watching him play, and it's obvious his coach likes and trusts him, and I think he's got a bright future. AND he's not scoring any goals. He's literally the perfect tank player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad