Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Of course he'll get his exterior dinged up in the course of time if he continues running into people the way he has done the past couple of games But if he really steps it up and starts running around like a runaway, well, refrigerator, crashing into things with reckless abandon I could even see him developing a cult following in the fan base, something I could not have foreseen before in my wildest dreams. Should he be able to maintain or perhaps even increase the intensity and the velocity of these collisions this transformation could be an interesting sidebar story this season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know posters and the media are down on the 'goal-less Gaunce' as a third-fourth line center.....but if he comes out of the lineup, his replacement is either Sutter who's a two-goal scorer or Burmistrov who has one. Now that's the definition of a "black hole" in your bottom six.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I know posters and the media are down on the 'goal-less Gaunce' as a third-fourth line center.....but if he comes out of the lineup, his replacement is either Sutter who's a two-goal scorer or Burmistrov who has one. Now that's the definition of a "black hole" in your bottom six.
Have you noticed Gaunce has started to add a bang and crash rambunctiousness to his game recently? You're never going to get bang and crash from Sutter.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Every time he is the offensive zone the anticipation is real. I think the team might celebrate more than when Daniel got his 1000th. A Gaunce goal is coming. The Fridge is a great nickname. Gold star.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sutter has a history of scoring. Gaunce does not. One is a slump the other is a lifestyle. Think Gaunce can score but until he does it, we cannot be sure. Like his physical play but almost 100 games without scoring with his stick. What is the record to start ones career? John Scott scored a few goals. Markstrome shut out streak vs Gaunce goalless streak. Exciting race.

Reactions: alternate

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sutter has a history of scoring. Gaunce does not. One is a slump the other is a lifestyle. Think Gaunce can score but until he does it, we cannot be sure. Like his physical play but almost 100 games without scoring with his stick. What is the record to start ones career? John Scott scored a few goals. Markstrome shut out streak vs Gaunce goalless streak. Exciting race.

I'm pretty sure if you gave Gaunce 19 minutes/game in offensive situations with first-unit PP time all season, he'd suddenly develop 'a history of scoring', too.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure if you gave Gaunce 19 minutes/game in offensive situations with first-unit PP time all season, he'd suddenly develop 'a history of scoring', too.

Sutter has scored for years in Pittsburgh and Carolina without those opportunities. Last year he was given extra opportunities. Gaunce has had great opportunities this year. You cannot explain away the difference in Sutter's and Gaunce's scoring just by difference in opportunity. Did John Scott get more opportunity? I think Gaunce's game has improved scoring should come but make no mistake not score in 80 plus games in special not in a good way.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
^ Man you're going to feel silly once you actually look how much Sutter played in those Carolina and Pittsburgh teams.

It's continually amazing how people take the side of a massively overpaid soft-as-butter player who got his big deal without ever playing a game for this organisation and is not a very likeable person either over a home-brewed hard working honest player who knows his limits making less than million.

Reactions: MS and Pip

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sutter has scored for years in Pittsburgh and Carolina without those opportunities. Last year he was given extra opportunities. Gaunce has had great opportunities this year. You cannot explain away the difference in Sutter's and Gaunce's scoring just by difference in opportunity. Did John Scott get more opportunity? I think Gaunce's game has improved scoring should come but make no mistake not score in 80 plus games in special not in a good way.

Sutter has consistently received massive minutes and substantial PP time throughout his career and massively under-produced relative to those minutes.

Without PP time that he should never have been getting - and even his biggest supporters will admit he's laughably bad on the PP - he'd never have topped 30 points in a season.

He's a 20-25 point player when used appropriately, as he has been this season. And was at times in Pittsburgh. Currently 1 goal on a goalie in his last 33 games.

And yes, if you gave Brendan Gaunce 19 minutes/game including constant top-unit PP time and used him as a winger on the top line with the Sedins for 1/3 of the season, he could probably score 30 points, too.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
No, I have not. Its what i have been looking for from him, since he cant score or pass.
Oh yes, he just started doing it the past couple of games. It's like a light went on or something and he decided if he's not doing anything else he might as well crash into people. So he's starting to win me over, lets hope he can keep it up and maybe even increase it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya we know you think he can be a consistent 20+ goal scorer.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Sutter has consistently received massive minutes and substantial PP time throughout his career and massively under-produced relative to those minutes.

Without PP time that he should never have been getting - and even his biggest supporters will admit he's laughably bad on the PP - he'd never have topped 30 points in a season.

He's a 20-25 point player when used appropriately, as he has been this season. And was at times in Pittsburgh. Currently 1 goal on a goalie in his last 33 games.

And yes, if you gave Brendan Gaunce 19 minutes/game including constant top-unit PP time and used him as a winger on the top line with the Sedins for 1/3 of the season, he could probably score 30 points, too.
How? What are Gaunce's offensive weapons? He has a hard shot, but it takes him as long to load it up as a soldier loading up a bazooka. His passing is not really NHL-caliber and his skating is still... bad.

People are obviously leaping on Sutter's slow start when he's been buried this season as a defensive heavyweight, but he has offensive tools: a great shot, and speed, which has allowed him to average almost 20 goals per season up until this year.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Nice Guance article by Patterson on TSN a few days ago:

Canucks coach backs goalless Gaunce through struggle to score - Article - TSN

For his part, Gaunce obviously wants to contribute offensively and put an end to a story that won’t go away until he does. Since his first, last - and only - National Hockey League goal in Arizona on Oct. 30, 2015, Gaunce is in a league of his own among NHL forwards who haven’t scored. His dry spell sits at 83 games with Montreal’s Jacob de la Rose next at 47 contests. Only five forwards in the league are currently in ruts over 30 games.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I've been happy with Gaunce's play and think its just a matter of time before he scores. At this point its just the hockey gods messing with him. I feel he can be a useful bottom 6 piece that can contribute 15g/30p type production.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah Sutter was always near the bottom of the league in points/60, he has a better shot and is clearly a better skater than Gaunce, but Gaunce has a significantly higher hockey IQ. Both players are useful if deployed properly, but one of them is clearly overplayed and overpaid.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Is it strange to anyone else why people always misspell the name Gaunce? There's no word in the English language that is spelled like _uance, let alone one that's pronounced that way, is there? "au" would be closer to the phonetic way to spell it out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad