Value of: Brendan Dillon at the TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
So then he isn't built for the playoffs and is better for the regular season when you need to give your top guys more rest.

Isn't that what the other guy was saying?

He’s built for the playoffs, just not better than Vlasic, Karlsson, Burns, and Braun (though Braun was IMO, dropping off starting last year)

He’s a 4/5 guy. Not many teams will have a player of his quality on the bottom pairing, but he’s not going to carry your second pair either. In the righ scenario, I’d trust him as a #4.

I’m confident he’ll get a 2nd+, and the acquiring team won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: Laus723

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I wonder if Wilson will be more keen on acquiring closer to the nhl prospects, and players with term rather than picks to jump start the team. I know he has a vote of confidence from the owner, but you gotta think that leash is short, and he's thinking he's gotta turn this around quicker.

A few teams mentioned here and prospects/players I'd look for(that I think would be available for Dillon) in no particular order or collection:

Islanders: Newkirk, Salo, Bellows (not sure if they'd unload Bellows, but it might be comparable considering the strength of 2020)

Hurricanes: Sellgren, Bokk? (He's had a resurgence here, not sure if he'd be available), Gauthier, Luost,

Panthers: Montembault, Borgstrom, Schutz, Gildon, Lammiko's rights

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wonder if Wilson will be more keen on acquiring closer to the nhl prospects, and players with term rather than picks to jump start the team. I know he has a vote of confidence from the owner, but you gotta think that leash is short, and he's thinking he's gotta turn this around quicker.

A few teams mentioned here and prospects/players I'd look for(that I think would be available for Dillon) in no particular order or collection:

Islanders: Newkirk, Salo, Bellows (not sure if they'd unload Bellows, but it might be comparable considering the strength of 2020)

Hurricanes: Sellgren, Bokk? (He's had a resurgence here, not sure if he'd be available), Gauthier, Luost,

I'd be talking to Carolina about Jake Bean.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Bellows

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Then why does Braun's TOI go up in the playoffs?

Ha what fantasy land you live in. Dillon is a #5 that can't be trusted to play more than 16min against fast, tough competition. He's just not good enough. And mind thats not 16 min of mistake free hockey either
Braun's TOI goes up because of the same reason. PDB trusted Braun more and had Vlasic-Braun tied at the hip because of their history/chemistry. I can understand that you do not know this if you are not a Shark's fan but trying to sound condescending looks really bad when you have no idea what is going on elsewhere.

Reactions: Laus723

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Sure but I'd still be talking about getting him regardless. lol

Hey, offer up fair value (non-rental) where CAR gets better by making the trade then sure, someone to talk about. I have Bean pencilled in as the 3rd pair LD in CAR next year, but you never know.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hey, offer up fair value (non-rental) where CAR gets better by making the trade then sure, someone to talk about. I have Bean pencilled in as the 3rd pair LD in CAR next year, but you never know.

I would probably be looking at grabbing whoever is the odd man out. If Bean is on the 3rd pair then who is on the outs? There is still Slavin, Gardiner, and Fleury either under contract or restricted so what happens there if Bean is making the lineup? I don't mind the Sharks making an offer for any of those four guys depending on who is most realistically available. Sharks could have Kevin Labanc available for any of those guys then figure out who needs to add what.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He'd be a great add for them. I like him but didn't think he'd be available, but you never know!

I think between the four good LHD's that Carolina has, one of them is likely available. It's going to cost a pretty penny but it's worth looking into and I think the Sharks can do it. It just doesn't have much to do with Dillon. lol

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I’d do this in a heartbeat, and I like both Dillon and Goodrow more than most.

Who do the Sharks slot in for Goodrow's spot? For me, he's probably one of the most untouchable pieces for next season just based on his contract and level of play. You won't get that kind of replacement value in FA or internally and for a likely cap strapped team that's a big factor.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I would probably be looking at grabbing whoever is the odd man out. If Bean is on the 3rd pair then who is on the outs? There is still Slavin, Gardiner, and Fleury either under contract or restricted so what happens there if Bean is making the lineup? I don't mind the Sharks making an offer for any of those four guys depending on who is most realistically available. Sharks could have Kevin Labanc available for any of those guys then figure out who needs to add what.

Well, Slavin is undeniably a no go.

Gardiner, eh, for the right price. I don’t think they deal him though until well into next season, if they’re even entertaining trading him at that point. He’s been underwhelming, but I think he’ll finish the season strong with Hamilton out and he is on a really good contract, if he plays like he did in TOR.

Fleury, I think would be the most available of the all of them. For whatever reason, Brind’Amour doesn’t seem to trust him and I doubt he ever will. A Fleury + for Labanc deal would be awesome...for CAR, doubt Fleury moves the needle at all for SJS in such a conversation.

Bean has developed very well. Up until a few weeks ago, I’d have put him in the likely top be dealt category for sure, but after taking in the last stretch of Charlotte Checkers games, Bean has really progressed into an better all around D. Last yeah, he noticeably struggled on the defensive side of the puck. This year, he still struggles from
time to time, but he’s much more efficient at getting pucks out and is now able to effectively engage in board battles, at least at the AHL level. I think he has the floor of a 2nd pair puck mover with the ceiling of a 40-50pt top pair guy. Will he get a chance to hit his potential in CAR? I guess that’s the question. They’ve certainly invested the time to develop the guy, so I think they’re quite high on him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Gardiner, eh, for the right price. I don’t think they deal him though until well into next season, if they’re even entertaining trading him at that point. He’s been underwhelming, but I think he’ll finish the season strong with Hamilton out and he is on a really good contract, if he plays like he did in TOR.

Fleury, I think would be the most available of the all of them. For whatever reason, Brind’Amour doesn’t seem to trust him and I doubt he ever will. A Fleury + for Labanc deal would be awesome...for CAR, doubt Fleury moves the needle at all for SJS in such a conversation.

Bean has developed very well. Up until a few weeks ago, I’d have put him in the likely top be dealt category for sure, but after taking in the last stretch of Charlotte Checkers games, Bean has really progressed into an better all around D. Last yeah, he noticeably struggled on the defensive side of the puck. This year, he still struggles from
time to time, but he’s much more efficient at getting pucks out and is now able to effectively engage in board battles, at least at the AHL level. I think he has the floor of a 2nd pair puck mover with the ceiling of a 40-50pt top pair guy. Will he get a chance to hit his potential in CAR? I guess that’s the question. They’ve certainly invested the time to develop the guy, so I think they’re quite high on him.

Fleury may not move the needle but I can see him as part of a deal for Labanc but it would depend on what else Carolina is willing to add to make it worth it. The Sharks don't necessarily need to invest on the left side because they have Vlasic with an NMC and Ferraro with strong likelihoods of being on the team moving forward. Dillon and Simek could both be rentals but I could easily see Simek returning so it would have to be something that grabs their attention. They certainly need help up front which is why trading Labanc may be difficult for DW to do but I'd be open to it because I'm not sold on Labanc being able to put it all together for a top six role. He's got good advanced metrics but he's undisciplined and pretty much invisible defensively.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

I think any Labanc talk has to be Tor's first and something else. Sharks just dont need D men at all and I dont think you guys have that many great forward prospects

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think any Labanc talk has to be Tor's first and something else. Sharks just dont need D men at all and I dont think you guys have that many great forward prospects

If they let Dillon and Simek go they very well could need a top four capable d-man. I think Ferraro is best left to anchor a 3rd pairing rather than playing with one of Burns or Karlsson.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

I’d give Monty/Borgstrom/Lammikko in a heartbeat WITH a 2nd if y’all took Matheson with all of that. Would give up 2 of the 3 if you add in Goodrow as well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Kuokkanen would be the best F prospect in SJ. But CAR would have to add a little something else to him for Labanc I'd think.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I’d give Monty/Borgstrom/Lammikko in a heartbeat WITH a 2nd if y’all took Matheson with all of that. Would give up 2 of the 3 if you add in Goodrow as well.
Matheson does not have negative value.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lol, yes he does. He’s terrible and he’s signed long term.
Disagree. He's prone to gaffes and he's a disappointment compared to what was hoped, but he's a legit NHL defenseman. His possession numbers are decent and he's like to match or surpass his career high in goals (assists will be down). He gets less Ozone starts than several other D on the team and his OISV% has been unlucky.

He's not perfect by any mean, but he absolutely would return an asset in a trade.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Honestly in a heartbeat I’d do that especially with Monty or Borgstrom.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I mean, picks could serve the same purpose. You don't get much by way of instant gratification, but loading up on picks would put SJ in a good position to make some deals on Draft Weekend. Depending on the trade partner, their situation, and their free agency prospects (i.e., a need to clear cap), those picks might yield a better roster player than what SJ would acquire in exchange for a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad