Breakthrough players for 2019-20 season

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Another yearly tradition. Thoughts so far:

Players I didn't even know were capable of playing in the KHL before this season:

Andrei Obidin. I thought of him as a guy who can skate really fast and has a decent shot but lacks hockey sense to do much else. But he really grew into his body and Martemyanov uses him on the 1st PP unit this year. Naturally, the points are aplenty under circumstances, 6 in 7 games so far. Career-best is topped already.

Danila Zhuravlyov and Kamil Fazilzyanov. Despite Ak Bars having a plethora of prospects of the previous generation (Musin, Lyamkin, Abrosimov, Yudin) it looks like these 2 guys are going to get the minutes under Kvartalnov.

Maybe THE breakout player of 19/20 so far, Svetoslav Grebenshchikov. Scoring goals and playing close to 20 minutes per game, recently. You would expect him to slow down but as his TOI rises I there is a good chance he will finish the season with 15-18 goals. Yegor Voronkov is another on Vityaz quietly building up his resume.

Dinamo Minsk is worth keeping an eye on as a team, they are giving the young guys lots of chances, I wouldn't say any of them managed to particularly impress, so far. Dmitryi Deryabin has been surprisingly decent considering his age, position and pretty bad season in the USHL last year.

Pavel Khomchenko is definitely Spartak's goalie of the future. Despite taking over Bespalov he might be sent down after Hudacek gets healthy purely for financial reasons but even this early it's clear Khomchenko will be on Spartak's roster full-time next year.

Alexander Nikishin is definitely making most waves in the KHL from 2020 draftees, sadly I had to watch quite a lot of Spartak games this year and even going game-to-game it's obvious how much more confident he is getting and how much he is growing into the pro-active role rather than just being there. Andrei Mironov was somewhat similar in his rookie season, hopefully Nikishin develops into something more. But definitely the most impressive draftee D in years.

I don't think anyone, even in Belarus, expected this. Andrei Belevich is an impact player for the Torpedo in the KHL after moving from the Belarussian league. He has played himself into top-6 role leapfrogging other hopefuls on the team like Ilyin, Urakov, and Veryaev. A huge surprise, the guy who didn't make the Belarus NT, who was never really on the radar for Dinamo Minsk is making the case he is actually the best young-ish Belarussian forward in Europe.

Ivan Fedotov is a really interesting case, he has been amazing for Traktor so far (.952 Sv%) as Demchenko struggled. Despite being a pretty big profile prospect he never made any of the junior teams, he had a pretty tough first pro season in the VHL. 2nd one went better but he got stuck in the pecking order behind Daniil Tarasov because well, it's Daniil Tarasov. So he got given away to Traktor, basically, and it's the best move there could have possibly been for both sides. I don't think Traktor were expecting it either, I think Fedotov was supposed to be an insurance policy for Sukhachyov but he grabbed the ball and ran with it. So really an amazing win-win situation.

Another Traktor player, Ilya Karpukhin, is playing well over 20 minutes per night. I don't think he is quite that good yet, it does have to do with a thin-ish Traktor defense but again, the guy has all the chances to impress and grow into the role. He has 5 points in 9 games so offensive production is not a problem, he needs to clean up things in the D zone though.

Players with a lot of hype around bound to break out eventually:

Kirill Semyonov is very good. Even though he averaged almost 30 points over the last 3 seasons I think nobody yet recognizes him as a legitimate top-6 center. Ava's injury situation is the perfect circumstance for him to establish himself, I think he should smash 40 points this year.

Valeri Orekhov and Kirill Polukhov - those guys are the future of Kazakh hockey and they really are pretty good but have only been trusted with limited minutes so far. It has risen over the course of the season so far so maybe they can build on it.

Alexander Samonov played very well for a few stretches last and it seems Vityaz are running a 1A/B system last year. Or maybe Samonov just forced them into running that as he has been spectacular so far, .981 on the season.

Henrik Haapala needs that one, full, good pro season to put himself into that Linus Omark category of players not built for the NHL but who can dominate European leagues for a decade.

Nikita Cherepanov has been on the radar forever with other Ds from Loko system (does anyone remember Roman Manukhov?) but he is currently ahead of Staffan Kronwall in TOI so well in a position to establish himself.

Almost everyone on Loko's forward group.

Pavel Poryadin has been a name featured here for years as well, his breakout is taking literally years but he has 6 points in 7 games so far, definitely ahead start to a real breakout season. Neftekhimik isn't flush with options to take away his ice time either.

Different from everyone else on this list but was anyone expecting Nikita Soshnikov to score 50-60 points rather than 30-40? His offensive upside absolutely amazed me so far.

Igor Geraskin finds himself firmly on the top line in Cherepovets, it's interesting how much of a step forward can he take. He will get there eventually it's just about how fast does he build big enough profile to move to a better team.

As long as Kochetkov and Melnychuk stick on the SKA roster they can prove something. Interestingly, the start of the season is starting to show Kochetkov could still use some time in the VHL and it's Melnychuk who outgrew it.

Under the circumstances, it's hard to expect fireworks from Aleksandr Romanov but his TOI is slightly increasing, he is playing over 15 minutes in easier matchups or if CSKA have a comfortable lead. Breakout in a real sense is next to impossible but he should steadily develop nicely.

Congratulations to those players who were expected to break out by us and they did:

Pavel Dedunov scored more goals last year than in his entire career before.

Artyom Shvets-Rogovoy truly established himself as a 2C on the team last year.

One of the last posts in last year's thread says Vladimir Butuzov is good at hockey. He has been a dud so far, the contract dispute and missing pre-season likely has to do with it as well but overall, he is seen as a 25-30 point player now. If I had to guess that's what the contract dispute was about as well. He wanted 25 point player money and was offered 25 point player on Admiral money.

Ilya Konovalov put Salak on the bench.

Damir Sharipzyanov scored 24 points and got an invitation to the Russian NT system establishing himself as one of the better young Dman in the league.

Nikolai Demidov has grown very nicely and made an impact at both ends of the ice really showing he carries #1 D potential. Too bad he's injured at the start of this season.

Damir Zhafyarov has been on this list ever since Kuznya days and long last, he has done it. 30 points last year and the even better start of the season this year. It definitely looks like he has finally made it. Way back in the day I said he is the better prospect than Slepyshev. An extremely bold statement at the time it once again becomes a close argument 7-8 years later.

Konstantin Okulov has been another permanent feature but I think scoring 14 points in 17 playoff games graduates him as a bona fide elite offensive talent in this league.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That's my effort to keep a pulse on the league and the guys to look for, whom did I miss?

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
That's my effort to keep a pulse on the league and the guys to look for, whom did I miss?
Rafael Bikmullin scored first hat-trick of the season.
Andrei Altybarmakyan is becoming a leader of Sochi.
Artem Galimov shows that he can be a solid two-way KHLer.
Daniil Vovchenko may have his best ppg season

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Oh yeah, I was going to write about Altybarmakyan, went to the bathroom and just skipped Sochi entirely when I came back. He is having quite an eventful season, benched, healthy scratched, got into a fight, played 20 minutes per game.. All over the place. Definitely belongs on the list. The problem with him is he hasn't played with offensively gifted players 5 on 5 yet so he probably won't produce a lot before that changes.

Vovchenko is having a hot start but I think that's just that, he can't really break out any more than he did in 2017, he won't score 45 points or anything like that playing for this Severstal.

Bikmullin, I will be honest, I just don't know much about him. Seeing his TOI decline I just took that hattrick as a flash in the pan.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Semenov - noticed him when MHL teams were still touring USA and I would go see the games. I don't think he has enough grit to be a star, but certainly a skilled likable player.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hmm, I'm not that high on Deryabin, for his sake I hope he bulks up very quickly while he is still given chances to impress. As things stand he bounces off players and I;m almost scared he will hurt himself by being too brave at times. Any opinion Martynov, is his production all down to being able to feed pucks into re-born Pulkkinen?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hmm, I'm not that high on Deryabin, for his sake I hope he bulks up very quickly while he is still given chances to impress. As things stand he bounces off players and I;m almost scared he will hurt himself by being too brave at times. Any opinion Martynov, is his production all down to being able to feed pucks into re-born Pulkkinen?
I'm not super high on him either, he isn't going to be a big star or anything but just for 19-year-old his base foundation seems pretty solid. Most importantly he needs to start thinking more and faster but his foundation is solid. If he knows what's good for him he will fill out his body over time and he has really nice size for a modern day D, very close to the sweet spot.

Martynov, yeah, I think his 5 minutes under the sun were over as soon as Prince arrived. I think he would be better off being sent down to the Extraliga because at the KHL level his TOI will just slip lower and lower which is already happening.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The pace he's scoring points at sure is surprising but otherwise, he was on Swedish Olympic team, WC team, etc. To everyone in Sweden he was known to be a very good player, I don't think this is a breakout in a real sense. I think it's more of a hot start and possibly a career year in the making.

Reactions: Witte49

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The pace he's scoring points at sure is surprising but otherwise, he was on Swedish Olympic team, WC team, etc. To everyone in Sweden he was known to be a very good player, I don't think this is a breakout in a real sense. I think it's more of a hot start and possibly a career year in the making.
Performing in a higher level league is breakout in my book. If Gusev storms the NHL this season(which he can do) it can be considered a breakout eventhough his NT resume is even more impressive than Wikstrand's.

So far AkBars is full of pleasant surprises. Galimov and Fazylzyanov are ones for instance. Reideborn is such a relief. Having solid goaltending for once sure feels different. Doesn't change the fact that the subtractions hurt.

Oh, and not a breakout, but Tkachyov last season looked like he was eating lead bars. Slow af. This time around he's flying. Whatever happened to him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Performing in a higher level league is breakout in my book.
But that's the point, is he objectively performing at a higher level or just riding a hot streak? I suppose you can answer that better than me, you see him more. But neither of us followed him closely in Sweden, so in the end, we both come up short.

Tkachyov is flying, that is something I can wholeheartedly agree on. I think last season just lit the fire under him and he probably took preparation for this one whole lot more seriously. And Kvartalnov's system fits him and Galiev, I'd say. Ak Bars seem like a really nice team, they are just short of 1 real offensive superstar to push to that real contender level.

Burdasov is the answer :sarcasm:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is it safe to say Melnichuk was one of the most underrated Russian prospects all those years?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Melnychuk seems to be impressive. anyone knows if he might intend to come over?
Since he is undrafted St. Petersburg native playing for SKA I think it's not even worth thinking if he is going to come over because it won't be happening any time soon. He will get a nice extension which is going to be 2-3 years and after that, it may make sense to come back to this question. He definitely isn't leaving his current situation for the AHL.

takesthebiscuit96

Aug 8, 2019

I agree, Wikstrand is less of a breakthrough player as opposed to a player that is finally showing his potential. I think its a case of him thinking he has a lot to prove after all that NHL stuff and so he's pushing hard now. Think we could see some really good stuff from him this season - isn't he defender of the month at the moment?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
is there ever a sense that someone like Alexander Samonov (G) would ever want to leave the KHL for the NHL? is he signed long-term with his KHL squad?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
His contract runs out at the end of the year but I don't think he even had a chance to dream about the NHL yet.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It's kind of weird to mention him here because he has been around seemingly forever, but Albert Yarullin is on pace for career year.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not a breakthrough player, as he has already been a quality defender, but Zub has all of a sudden added an offensive element to his game.

He now leads SKA in goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad