Breakout players for 2016/17

Swedish House

Jun 17, 2015
Chiasson is my next bet. He will likely get a good look beside Mony and Johnny; wouldn't be surprised to see him back on track from his Dallas days. Johnny can be Josh Jooris a 10 goal man in the NHL; imagine what he can do with a player with finish

Prepare to be disappointed

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Look for Ceci to take a big step forward.

I doubt Parayko breaks out more than he's already done, imo.
Really? So a 33-point rookie season is the best he's got?

That's not bad but saying it's unlikely to break out more is a pretty bold (and stupid) statement. He's got a lot more in him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

That's not bad but saying it's unlikely to break out more is a pretty bold (and stupid) statement. He's got a lot more in him.
Some players just step in immediately at a really high level of play and then stay there without progressing much beyond that or ever becoming truly amazing. See, for example, RNH.

Not that I think that's inevitably the case for Parayko (I frankly don't know either way), but it wouldn't exactly be unprecedented.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Prepare to be disappointed

Not like I'm banking on it, but I think there's the possibility. If he plays with Johnny, all bets are off on point totals. Granlund and Jooris looked like solid NHLers playing with Johnny.

Or he may sit on the 4th with Stajan and collect 20 points all year :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Galchenyuk
Gallagher (if you don't count last season since he was injured a lot)
Radulov
Beaulieu

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Would 40 points really be a breakout if he's starting at 33 points? Cuz I'd imagine a Parayko breakout would be 50-60+ points and I just don't see that happening with Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk around.

And he's already pretty good defensively.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Assuming we don't get crippled by injuries hopefully Horvat can focus more on his offensive game and put up ~40pts. Could be the year Baertschi does the same.

Realistically they have to if this silly goal of making the playoffs has any chance of coming true.

Horvat had 30 points in his last 42 games last year. I expect at least 50 points for him. WD need to put Horvat in offensive situation.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hopefully Drouin. Think Namestnikov could take a next step but wouldn't define it as "breaking out" as much as growing on his already established trajectory.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think Nate Beaulieu finally comes out of his shell this season.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Bennett for me, is an absolute. If he got to 60 this year, I wouldn't be surprised. The guy's infinitely more talented than any C we've had in Calgary in two decades (including Mony), and playing with Brouwer and Tkachuk would be dynamite.

i agree w your assessment of bennett, but i'm not sure if he'll hit 60. he will finally have stable linemates who aren't complete plugs, and he's 10 pounds heavier, so i do expect progression. i think that his true breakout year will happen next season. another offseason training could really allow him to dominate in the way he did in junior.

on the other hand, i expect a guy like monahan to 'breakout' in terms of 200 foot play, especially now that we have a coach who prioritizes teaching and development.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
i agree w your assessment of bennett, but i'm not sure if he'll hit 60. he will finally have stable linemates who aren't complete plugs, and he's 10 pounds heavier, so i do expect progression. i think that his true breakout year will happen next season. another offseason training could really allow him to dominate in the way he did in junior.

on the other hand, i expect a guy like monahan to 'breakout' in terms of 200 foot play, especially now that we have a coach who prioritizes teaching and development.

Yeah, again, I'm not expecting 60, but if he hit that number I wouldn't be blown away. I just think he has that skill level. Mony blew up for 62 after his rookie season, that being said, he's playing with one of the top 5 most offensively gifted players in the NHL.

Bennett will likely have to run his line, he'll have Brouwer to make life easier on him, but Brouwer's no where close to Johnny's level of elite. That being said, I think in shooting alone he'll get up there; last year he took less than 2 shots a game; I can see that getting to the near 200 number this year.

I agree with Monahan, I think he's near his prime in regards to offence. I don't think we can expect a 70 point season out of him anytime soon; but if he continues to improve on both ends, that'll be great.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
:wild

Easy. Pominville, Koivu, Staal, Parise, maybe even Suter.

Oh...you said "breakout"?

I thought you said "breakdown".

Never mind.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Bo Horvat. In the last 40 games, he scored 27 points. Pro rated, that pace would give him ~55 points in a full year.

Ben Hutton is also another candidate. He showed flashes of brilliance and was alright all year round.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

He usually has an agenda with Blues players for some reason

Would 40 points really be a breakout if he's starting at 33 points? Cuz I'd imagine a Parayko breakout would be 50-60+ points and I just don't see that happening with Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk around.

I get what your saying but for a defenseman I'd say it's a realistic breakout. 60pts would solidify him as the best dman in the league given his defensive abilites....that's very unlikely. As for Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo, Parayko will most likely be playing with one of them on the top pairing or 2nd pairing. He's going to get his minutes this season. Last season Hitchcock already pegged him as a 25-30min a night all situations dman

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

You realize that that is not what he said, right? Unless he puts up 60+ points (highly unlikely but not impossible), any improvement is just that, improvement. He's already broken out onto the center stage.

Actually hohos summed up my thoughts pretty nicely (like always):

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hes already surpassed anything id have expected, the Canes found a nice little gem there. The poor forwards in the Metro with the D some of these teams are forming

It really is crazy the depth of D that CBus, Philly and the Canes are creating. Then add in how many top forwards there are too in Sid, Malkin, Giroux, Tavares, Ovi, Backstrom, etc...

At least the goalies are not as good. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad