Value of: Brayden Schenn to the Sabres

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Sam Reinhart would go back. But the team I think would have the most interest in Schenn is Vegas. Kelly McCrimmon knows him well. I would say Schenn and Chad Johnson for Eakin, a pair of 2nds (19 and 20), Malcolm Subban, and another Vegas prospect.

St. Louis has little chance of re-signing Schenn, who has been critical of the management since last year's Stastny trade.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think Sam Reinhart would go back. But the team I think would have the most interest in Schenn is Vegas. Kelly McCrimmon knows him well. I would say Schenn and Chad Johnson for Eakin, a pair of 2nds (19 and 20), Malcolm Subban, and another Vegas prospect.

St. Louis has little chance of re-signing Schenn, who has been critical of the management since last year's Stastny trade.
Pass. 2019 1st and Hague.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

no on Reinhart who's 23 and going to be a 60+ pt player this season for a player who's 27 with 2 years left before UFA and has 9 points less than Reinhart this season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pass. 2019 1st and Hague.

Interesting. I think there is a need to win off the hop in Vegas, to keep the interest at a premium, so that's a reasonable sacrifice. Vegas is stocked with later round picks, and with good scouting, can make them count.

Reactions: simon IC

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Value isn't bad but Eakin won't really be needed. Blues can still roll ROR-Bozak-Thomas-Barbashev down the middle without Schenn.

Ideally for Schenn we would acquire a top 4 LHD (see my Buffalo proposal above) or a good goalie. Subban looks to be struggling a bit and we have Binnington/Husso as maybe future NHL goalies already. Would be looking for a more proven guy.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Value isn't bad but Eakin won't really be needed. Blues can still roll ROR-Bozak-Thomas-Barbashev down the middle without Schenn.

Ideally for Schenn we would acquire a top 4 LHD (see my Buffalo proposal above) or a good goalie. Subban looks to be struggling a bit and we have Binnington/Husso as maybe future NHL goalies already. Would be looking for a more proven guy.

Goaltending has been an issue since Elliot's departure.

I love the Blues prospect pool. Next year they could run.

Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko
Fabbri-O'Reilly-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Sanford-Barbashev-Sundqvist

With Foley and more prospects in the pool.

So i can understand the need for a defenseman preferentially. Hague makes quite a bit of sense. Pietrangelo would bring another top notch prospect back if the Blues take the likely road of rebuilding.

I'm not sure who they'd get as a goalie. Anderson for Jake Allen makes some sense, if Binnington is ready to take the reigns in the next year.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
We would take our first back and then add your first and a cap dump on an expiring contract.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We would take our first back and then add your first and a cap dump on an expiring contract.
Why would Schenn be worth more than ROR? We took back two long term cap dumps and got a b prospect+first back.

Skinner got traded to us for scraps. I don’t see why anyone would give up two firsts for Schenn.

If you take back Sobotka+Berglund I’d offer a 1sr+2nd in 2020.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Why would Schenn be worth more than ROR? We took back two long term cap dumps and got a b prospect+first back.

Skinner got traded to us for scraps. I don’t see why anyone would give up two firsts for Schenn.

If you take back Sobotka+Berglund I’d offer a 1sr+2nd in 2020.

I think I would rather us test whether he would re-sign for that. Or just let him walk for free.

Reactions: rumrokh and 67Blues

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
So they gave a 1st, a decent prospect, and 2 cap dumps for O'Reilly, and want 2 1sts. Or a first, Scandella,+. Or Reinhart? Plus O'Reilly had four years left on his contract, Schenn has 1.

Now if thats the route Buffalo wants to go, I can see giving their 1st back. If they want Scandella also, then there at least giving us their 2nd round pick, and taking Burgland back.

So to Buffalo
Schenn
Blues 2nd round pick

To St Louis
Blues 1st
Scandella
Berglund at 3.3 mil a year.
Conditional 3rd round pick if Schenn resigns.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
So they gave a 1st, a decent prospect, and 2 cap dumps for O'Reilly, and want 2 1sts. Or a first, Scandella,+. Or Reinhart? Plus O'Reilly had four years left on his contract, Schenn has 1.

Now if thats the route Buffalo wants to go, I can see giving their 1st back. If they want Scandella also, then there at least giving us their 2nd round pick, and taking Burgland back.

So to Buffalo
Schenn
Blues 2nd round pick

To St Louis
Blues 1st
Scandella
Conditional 2020 3rd round pick if Schenn resigns.
If we have to take Berglund back then you give us Samuelson and we give you Schmaltz

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

So to Buffalo
Schenn
Blues 2nd round pick

To St Louis
Blues 1st
Scandella
How bout no

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If we have to take Berglund back then you give us Samuelson and we give you Schmaltz

I think that's too much. You're asking for a Thompson type prospect on top of a 1st, and a top 4 defenceman to take back a discounted Berglund. If I was Buffalo, that would be a deal breaker. I wouldn't give St Louis a monster return on Schenn compared to what St Louis gave for O'Reilly. That would make our GM look incompetent.

If you put the two trades together, the Blues get O'Reilly, Scandella, conditional 3rd,- 500k off of Berglunds contract for Schenn, Sobotka, Thompson, Blues 2nd, +500k from Berglunds contract. That's a pretty good trade for the Blues. Especially considering O'Reilly has 4 years on his contract compared to one with Schenn. If Buffalo adds another piece to get it done, it would be something equal to a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think I would rather us test whether he would re-sign for that. Or just let him walk for free.
Blues should just stick to what they have, give us the 2020 pick instead and try to be competetive next year. It’s no that hard to get a decent goalie and the west is looking really weak for years to come.

Reactions: stl76

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
What about sending Schenn to Colorado?

Could be interesting for Colorado, he is close friends with MacKinnon and Barrie and we know that Sakic is still focused on locker room chemistry.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

So to Buffalo
Schenn
Blues 2nd round pick

To St Louis
Blues 1st
Scandella

I don’t think we have the cap space to make this deal. Nor do I think we are particularly interest in bringing back some of the older pieces of our core. If Berglund was taken out of this equation I could see this being a workable deal. It gives us the option to freely trade off some of our core pieces if we declare to go that route. I just find it hard to believe GMDA would consider a rebuild or retool right now as it more than likely means his head.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Botterill blinked first in the Orielly deal. Armstrong learned his lesson from the Oshie trade. He's not going to force Schenn out the door if he's not willing to resign. If you want him now, Army drives the Bus, get back with us at next years TDL if your looking for the standard 1st+prospect.

Reactions: 67Blues

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Probably too much for a team like the Sabres who have made significant improvements but are yet true contenders. I would be more apt to try and find a Domi-Gally type of deal. Sabres are moving in the right direction. IE draft and keep building up their talent base. Rather let Mittlestadt develop into a #2C behind Eichel. Adding a vet may hinder this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad