Confirmed with Link: Brayden Schenn Signs Multi-Year Deal [2 Years/$2.5M AAV]

RJ8812*

Well...today we traded away a low 1st/high 2nd line LW and got back a 3rd line one. So hopefully Schenn steps into the vacant spot and gets 19-20 minutes a game and Hartnell's spot on the PP. If so, 50+ points is easily retainable.

Hartnell was not a 1st line LWer

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Brayden Schenn: Good Signing!

I think with a more prominent role like JVR should have gotten and a full year under Berube he should be able to improve from last year. If he doesn't, then his contract is not exactly some immovable object. Good job by Hexy so far.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Solid deal...BUT... Couts, Schenn, Raffl, Coburn, Luke and even Grossmann are up for extensions at the same time now :(

Not sure this is smart cap management.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Solid deal...BUT... Couts, Schenn, Raffl, Coburn, Luke and even Grossmann are up for extensions at the same time now :(

Not sure this is smart cap management.

I am worried about this, too, but someone mentioned that we should be expecting Ghost, Morin, Hagg, and/or Alt to be making their presence in the lineup around this time, so there will certainly be cheap talent injected into the cap structure. I found that reassuring.

Our first pick this year may even be ready in a couple years depending on the guy, so I don't think it's worth the energy to fret over it, though I would have liked some more term for BSchenn's deal.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not worried about the cap. Kimmo will definitely be gone by then. Grossmann will walk and the Flyers will have the young guns to fill in on the cheap defensively. Couts and Schenn will get nice raises but nothing too extreme, I don't see them being all-stars in two yrs so maybe 5-6 mil between them is the most I really see.

Who knows by then, maybe RJ is moved (final yr of contract) or Vinny is gone (hopefully before sooner rather then later). So much can happen in two yrs, it's really a non issue at this point.

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
And who did he play with? Oh that's right, Claude Giroux. Guy won't crack 40 pts next year in Columbus. Bank on it.

He'll still probably hit 50. He's the perfect complimentary player for top a line and has showed that he can find chemistry with anyone.

If Schenn's ends up on the Giroux line he very well might out produce what Hartnell did this year, but Hartnell still produced like a 1st line player. No body plays in a vacuum almost all the top wingers are playing with centers who allow them to elevate their game. It will be the same for Schenn.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am worried about this, too, but someone mentioned that we should be expecting Ghost, Morin, Hagg, and/or Alt to be making their presence in the lineup around this time, so there will certainly be cheap talent injected into the cap structure. I found that reassuring.

Our first pick this year may even be ready in a couple years depending on the guy, so I don't think it's worth the energy to fret over it, though I would have liked some more term for BSchenn's deal.

Plus the cap could be significantly higher.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

The cap should be around 76-77 million by that time, and we have the option to buy out Umberger. That would save 3 million in that year, and then cost us 1.5 million the next year when the cap has increased by around $3 million again.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There would be a $1.6 million cap hit in that season.

R.J. Umberger buyout from CapGeek.com

2016-17: $1,600,000
2017-18: $1,500,000

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Great signing. I was worried he'd go for 3 mill or more. This gives him this year or next year to really break out and earn a better contract.

My bet is that (if he plays on Roo's LW) he breaks out this season for 30+ goals

Should be fun to see, I think he has a better shot and better hands than Hartnell. And with another offseason of growth, he can start really laying the body down and making room for G and Jake.

I can't wait to see more of this:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
If he plays with Giroux and on the top PP I think he'll replace Hartnell's production. Something like 25-30 goals, 50-60 points.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he plays with Giroux and on the top PP I think he'll replace Hartnell's production. Something like 25-30 goals, 50-60 points.

Agreed. I'm a big Brayden Schenn fan and I think he gets a lot of undeserved heat around here. He may not be the superstar people wanted, but he will be a solid contributor for this team long-term if he sticks around...be at center or left wing. That being said, I still think there is a good chance he gets traded at some point...maybe even Friday...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad