Confirmed with Link: Brayden Schenn Signs Multi-Year Deal [2 Years/$2.5M AAV]

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Agreed. I'm a big Brayden Schenn fan and I think he gets a lot of undeserved heat around here. He may not be the superstar people wanted, but he will be a solid contributor for this team long-term if he sticks around...be at center or left wing. That being said, I still think there is a good chance he gets traded at some point...maybe even Friday...

As a Brayden Schenn detractor, what exactly has he shown you to make you a big fan? My niece loves him for his dreamy blue eyes, other than the female's perspective, I don't see anything. Enlighten me to help me see through the hate. Please?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
As a Brayden Schenn detractor, what exactly has he shown you to make you a big fan? My niece loves him for his dreamy blue eyes, other than the female's perspective, I don't see anything. Enlighten me to help me see through the hate. Please?

He produced like a low end second liner while only getting third line minutes? Players have to get the playing time in order to show what they have. Plus, it's a little much to be writing off a 23 year old. Richards and Carter didn't break out until they were 23. JVR was 23 as well.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
He produced in the 1st half of the season but was god awful after the Olympic break. couldn't hold on to the puck. couldn't pass..

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He has a very nice shot, look at some of his goals... he has a nice scoring touch that has been wasted by playing with Briere and Lecavelier. He doesn't have elite speed or elite puck handling so he needs to play with at least one possession player to maximize his effectiveness.

Here's a playlist of all his goals, when it starts back at the top of the list just click page two and click the play button on the first video.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8475170

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He produced like a low end second liner while only getting third line minutes? Players have to get the playing time in order to show what they have. Plus, it's a little much to be writing off a 23 year old. Richards and Carter didn't break out until they were 23. JVR was 23 as well.

Pretty much this verbatim. The guy puts up good numbers in not a lot of ice time, with linemates like Vinny Lecavalier who people complain about sucking on a daily basis.

Then there is the ever-present JvR comparison. People love to complain about JvR and how we gave up a great point producing top line winger...but ignore that Schenn has more or similar points in each season that JvR did at the same age. Then look at this season, with JvR playing with one of the top point producers in the league, getting top PP minutes, and getting close to five and a half more minutes per game overall.

Schenn is a good contributor now, and despite being 23 next month, still has plenty of room to improve. He may never be the PPG Selke guy many thought/wished/hoped for, but there is no reason why he can't be a 60 point producer in this league based on what he has shown thus far.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

Pretty much just the eyes.

But honestly I think he's a Hartnell like player in that he's going to make a living off of being a great complimentary player. Look at all of our best lines over the past several years. Hartnell was on every one of them. There's a reason for that, and Schenn looks like he has the ability to do the same.

He cannot carry a line or create offense on his own, but he has a nice shot, knows how to get open, and is good at finding the puck down low. What that means is that he's a great fit for a more offensively gifted player.

So have the majority of players in NHL history. Don't tell other people though, it makes me seem like I know what I'm talking about when, before their 23 year old season, I predict someone will have a good year.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Pretty much this verbatim. The guy puts up good numbers in not a lot of ice time, with linemates like Vinny Lecavalier who people complain about sucking on a daily basis.

Then there is the ever-present JvR comparison. People love to complain about JvR and how we gave up a great point producing top line winger...but ignore that Schenn has more or similar points in each season that JvR did at the same age. Then look at this season, with JvR playing with one of the top point producers in the league, getting top PP minutes, and getting close to five and a half more minutes per game overall.

Schenn is a good contributor now, and despite being 23 next month, still has plenty of room to improve. He may never be the PPG Selke guy many thought/wished/hoped for, but there is no reason why he can't be a 60 point producer in this league based on what he has shown thus far.

Yeah, people need to realize that these guys aren't close to finished products in their early 20's. Giroux wasn't even a full time NHL player until he was 21. He didn't break out until he was 22, and he's considered by many to be a top five forward in the game. It takes time to develop players.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Don't tell other people though, it makes me seem like I know what I'm talking about when, before their 23 year old season, I predict someone will have a good year.

This bit of knowledge has done wonders for me in fantasy hockey over the years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Sedins didn't break out till they were 25, although they may have done it at 24 if the NHL wasn't locked out that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad