Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What's the average % increase of AAV from a bridge RFA deal to a UFA deal?

If Bolts pay Point 7-8M on a bridge, how much would they have to pony up on the UFA deal?
He'd still be a RFA, so we'd have the leverage still. But we'd be buying UFA years. Depends mostly on the cap.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Caving in and giving him almost two times as high of an AAV that's EVER been given on a 3-year bridge deal would be dumb. Not a precedent I want our team responsible for setting. We'll leave those types of dummy moves to the Toronto and Edmontons of the league.
You are not talking about a guy that scores 25 goals and gets bank like Toronto or Edmonton does Point has two years above 30 goals and last year it was 41 goals and 51 asst's. 92 points for he second full year in the league. There is nothing to signal he will drop anytime in the future either. You pay for talent and if you don't he will be a holdout until Christmas.

Reactions: Lurch

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What's the average % increase of AAV from a bridge RFA deal to a UFA deal?

If Bolts pay Point 7-8M on a bridge, how much would they have to pony up on the UFA deal?

If we go that high on the AVV then why not push for more term years! fine if point wants a lot of money per year ok fine but then you need to give us some term years you want 8 avv per year then you give us 5 years you want 9 avv per year then you give us 8 years! the point of a 3 year deal is to get him at 6 to 6.5 avv save some cap hit and give him a big deal later! pretty much this goes two ways bridge deal 3 years 21 million=7 avv or 8 year deal 72 million.= 9 avv to get him at 9 avv we most likely will need to get rid of rutta or condon somewhere.

Reactions: Zwui21

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
How much do we clear when we put Domingue on waivers and gets picked up? I think he signs when we clear a bit of extra money.

pretty much nothing 75 k! condon is the contract that if we could trade we could really get help clearing him out

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
good luck to the leaf fans since the blackhawks paid Toews and kane both 10.5 avv contracts they have not won one cup! or even got back to the WCF! and the leafs players make more then those two

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
3x6.2M sounds very good :) :)
Let's sign the deal :D

Also 8x8M is good (if he wants a long term deal...but I know it's a too low salary...).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm sticking to 3 x 7.5m. I'll say Friday, which I believe is a couple of games into the pre-season.

As much as I think we'll pay Point reasonably well, I think JBB leaving a 5.7 offer on the table was a good move. Point's gonna sign under value, but there's no real pressure until the pre-season starts, so no reason to make a real offer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm sticking to 3 x 7.5m. I'll say Friday, which I believe is a couple of games into the pre-season.

As much as I think we'll pay Point reasonably well, I think JBB leaving a 5.7 offer on the table was a good move. Point's gonna sign under value, but there's no real pressure until the pre-season starts, so no reason to make a real offer.
Could be and that would Be an nhl record for a bridge deal if he turns that down he is insane!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Could be and that would Be an nhl record for a bridge deal if he turns that down he is insane!
I wouldn't go that far given what his peers are likely to sign for. There's less appetite for bridge deals among players who've had back to back 30+ goal seasons. Even 7.5 would be Point "buying in" and the forums would explode. Not just leaf fans.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wouldn't go that far given what his peers are likely to sign for. There's less appetite for bridge deals among players who've had back to back 30+ goal seasons. Even 7.5 would be Point "buying in" and the forums would explode. Not just leaf fans.

I don’t know because back during the season points agent said he loves it down there well work something out weather it’s 3 years, 5 years or 8 years. I’m thinking the hang up is term there probably pushing for a 5 year term. If you do 7.5 avv for 3 years why not do 7.5 avv for 5 years then resign in Tampa after that or hit ufa market?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im keeping low based on kucherov deal to give over 1.5 milly more might be loss to the boss with our structured contracts of the past.... am not saying point is only worth 6.2 on a bridge just saying us moving up 500k might be what it takes... 5.7 seems real lebrun is close to jbb imho i dont know nothing just speculating got nothing with points agent at all no contacts so makes hard.... did have someone say he believed we reached out this weekend not sure of validity but would be nice if we budged a bit am hoping so wednesday is a flyer lol a hope:) 2 weeks left? till full season i guess so both sides should be a bit more inclined to pushing this through whatever it takes.... im ok whatever they give point just what ive heard my internal guys is we want bridge points agent wants term and both sides are off aways money wise... we know aho got an offer by montreal we know point was contacted you would at least I would believe those offers probably were comparable and not bridges yet point didnt budge so if his agent is ANY good he believed they could get something similar to montreals offer in long run... i really expected when cooper sneaked point in to talk to jbb allegedly but multiple sources said it happened they woulda talked about something more then original offer... but this is like yzerman all over again top secret lol no data... im not worried though i would hope point is not just wanted to be here for now but especially he is one of CORE guys moving forward we DESIRE longterm.... like that jbb has stuck to guns but ya now is time to step off the pot for the betterment of the team p.s. i love point but if he wants money more then stamkos hedman kucherov? id be ok if we moved him in future is still a business would suck of course but if we got barreled like marner? id rather take the high road so we can stay at the top long term

p.p.s. i still think we paid vasy too much so that is tricky thing overall i do not want point out earning stamkos period everyone has taken a little less its his turn plain and simple i really thought vasy would be less money wise too so yep can be very wrong

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t know because back during the season points agent said he loves it down there well work something out weather it’s 3 years, 5 years or 8 years. I’m thinking the hang up is term there probably pushing for a 5 year term. If you do 7.5 avv for 3 years why not do 7.5 avv for 5 years then resign in Tampa after that or hit ufa market?
Yeah. As far as I know, nobody with a season like Point's (and let's not forget he had 30 goals the year before as a shutdown forward) has been asked to take a bridge deal. But that's what we're asking, so the $ is probably gonna be higher than most bridges.

I don't doubt that the fight right now is over term though. If Point gets 5 years, he can at least get one "win" in the negotiation. I doubt it happens, but I do think we'll give in on that if Point doesn't blink. Eventually. It wouldn't be the end of the world,and years 4 and 5 would be insane value, assuming the cap goes up as expected.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah. As far as I know, nobody with a season like Point's (and let's not forget he had 30 goals the year before as a shutdown forward) has been asked to take a bridge deal. But that's what we're asking, so the $ is probably gonna be higher than most bridges.

I don't doubt that the fight right now is over term though. If Point gets 5 years, he can at least get one "win" in the negotiation. I doubt it happens, but I do think we'll give in on that if Point doesn't blink. Eventually. It wouldn't be the end of the world,and years 4 and 5 would be insane value, assuming the cap goes up as expected.

the one thing i feel we might be waiting on after the marner fiasco is what will avs do with rattanan whom imho is as close to point worth then anyone.... very comparable to me.... and p.s. even though said things above im not worried at all at this point with point i fully expect us to work this out

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Im gonna say its 6.7 X 3. I think they want to have a little room if they want to make a trade or something.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Im gonna say its 6.7 X 3. I think they want to have a little room if they want to make a trade or something.
What would be good is if we have maybe 2M in space that we can put towards the trade deadline once we have accrued some space

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019

With an offer standing at 5.7M AAV for 3 years I don't see how JBB caves for 1.8M when he has the leverage. It'll be a 3 years, 6.6M max IMO

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What would be good is if we have maybe 2M in space that we can put towards the trade deadline once we have accrued some space

Yea that would be good. I bet they try to convince him to keep a little on the table for this year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Could a 1 year deal be an option?
That's the worst option for the team. First - next year he's arbitration eligible. Second - next year we have four RFAs to re-sign as it is, and adding Point makes a bad situation worse. Third - it's also a bad option for Point - blow out your knee, get a concussion... suddenly you leave 10+ million on the table and are not set up for life.

Look - he's worth a lot more than he's going to get (most likely), but at the end of the day his three year contract is going to set him up for a comfortable life if he never plays another game. A one year deal at about 5 million, with taxes, fees, escrow, etc.? Not quite sitting pretty for the rest of your life - you'll probably need to work. Fifteen? Fire up the margarita machine.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
With an offer standing at 5.7M AAV for 3 years I don't see how JBB caves for 1.8M when he has the leverage. It'll be a 3 years, 6.6M max IMO
I don't think 1.8m is a cave when Point could easily be asking for 10. 7.5 might well be the middle ground. I just have a hard time believing all these RFAs are gonna sign for 8-10 and then our guy's gonna come in under 7.

I mean, yeah, it's a bridge, but we've never seen a player with this kind of resume bridged, so far as I can remember. So it's gonna be an expensive one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00