Brassard/ Zibanejad

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brassard on the PP is soooo much better.

He finds the open man consistently. He and Karlsson will make the PP pretty lethal.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
IMO, Sens win this trade. Brassard is a very underrated player.

Zibby is streaky and needs a kick in the groin to get going sometimes.

Just my 2c.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
It was a surplus for needs trade. Rangers needed a righty who could rip shots, we have too many passers with good vision.

From what I understand, Sens needed a lefty passer with great vision. It's a win-win

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I really miss Brassard, but so far I'm loving what Zibanejad brings. We desperately needed a shoot first guy and desperately needed a right handed shot. As a plus - and it's only preseason, I know, but he seems to make Kreider better.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
A recent TSN panel of analysts (including Bob Mckenzie himself) voted on the trade, and 4 out of 4 of them said that the Sens made the right deal. So there is that.

I think that anyone who is able to look beyond the age difference can see that the Sens made the right move. Age aside, Brassard is currently the better player for sure, despite what anyone in here may say otherwise.

Brassard already fits like a glove with Ryan and on the powerplay, so its already mission accomplished for the Sens. Zibanejad did not work well at all in those areas, so the trade makes total sense for both teams.

I sure hope Brassard is the better player. I hope he's the significantly better player, because if he isn't, then the Sens made a terrible terrible trade.

No GM in their right mind would trade a 23 year old center for a 29 year old center if the 23 year old was as good or better than the 29 year old. From my viewings of both players, Brassard looks to be the better player of the two. However, it doesn't look to be by a big enough margin to justify giving up 6 years in age, Zibanejad's RFA status, and the potential that Zibanejad possesses.

In 3 years Brassard will be a 32 year old UFA, while Zibanejad will be a 26 year old kid just entering his prime, likely already having been signed to a long-term contract. Given the Sens disinclination to spending money, it's a good bet that they let Brassard walk in 3 years, given that he'll be 32 and probably looking for a contract that will carry him to retirement. In 3 years the Sens could very well have nothing to show for this deal, while the Rangers will have a 6'2, 220lb top 2 centerman just entering his prime at age 26. That's not a deal a team should make just because of handedness and chemistry.

And if the deal weren't bad enough already, Dorion made sure to throw a 2nd round pick in the deal, just cause.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I sure hope Brassard is the better player. I hope he's the significantly better player, because if he isn't, then the Sens made a terrible terrible trade.

No GM in their right mind would trade a 23 year old center for a 29 year old center if the 23 year old was as good or better than the 29 year old. From my viewings of both players, Brassard looks to be the better player of the two. However, it doesn't look to be by a big enough margin to justify giving up 6 years in age, Zibanejad's RFA status, and the potential that Zibanejad possesses.

In 3 years Brassard will be a 32 year old UFA, while Zibanejad will be a 26 year old kid just entering his prime, likely already having been signed to a long-term contract. Given the Sens disinclination to spending money, it's a good bet that they let Brassard walk in 3 years, given that he'll be 32 and probably looking for a contract that will carry him to retirement. In 3 years the Sens could very well have nothing to show for this deal, while the Rangers will have a 6'2, 220lb top 2 centerman just entering his prime at age 26. That's not a deal a team should make just because of handedness and chemistry.

And if the deal weren't bad enough already, Dorion made sure to throw a 2nd round pick in the deal, just cause.

If the Sens win the Cup by the time Brassard and Karlsson's contracts are up, I couldn't care less if Zbad broke 100 points when he's in his prime. It was a win-now move. We'll see how everything develops.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If the Sens win the Cup by the time Brassard and Karlsson's contracts are up, I couldn't care less if Zbad broke 100 points when he's in his prime. It was a win-now move. We'll see how everything develops.

If the Sens win the cup in the near future, with Brassard playing a major role in making that happen, I'll admit I am wrong, but I won't hold my break until that happens.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
He has been terrific in the role going all the way back to 2012-2013. He isn't your elite #1C but he gets the job done. By no means is he outmatched in the role. I'm excited to see more of Hoffman-Turris-Stone, that line was quite impressive up until Turris suffered his ankle injury.

I personally think Turris is over-matched at times in that role. He can be very on and off with his production which can be detrimental as a #1C. Ideally, he's a #2C, and he is one of the best in the league in that spot

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I personally think Turris is over-matched at times in that role. He can be very on and off with his production which can be detrimental as a #1C. Ideally, he's a #2C, and he is one of the best in the league in that spot

Turris has twice been a #1 C for the Sens.

The first time he was in that role, he scored 64 points.

The second time, it lasted only 22 games until he got injured, but he was pacing at around 70 points.

Considering he has a very good two-way game and considering those numbers, in what world is he not a #1C? I guess you'll be more convinced after this season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There was a financial element to the trade as well. Zib will need a new contract after this year. That could be north of 5 million. Brassard offers very cost effective cost certainty over the next 3 years. To a budget team that makes a difference. Also the Rangers paid out a 2 million $ bonus just ahead of the trade.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site

Zibanejad will be more expensive after this season.

Turris-Brassard as 1/2 C should be as effective as Stepan-Brassard were in New York.

When Brassard's contract is up in three years you should have one or both of Colin White and Logan Brown in the lineup giving you a wealth of options down the middle.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There was a financial element to the trade as well. Zib will need a new contract after this year. That could be north of 5 million. Brassard offers very cost effective cost certainty over the next 3 years. To a budget team that makes a difference. Also the Rangers paid out a 2 million $ bonus just ahead of the trade.

Zibanejad is an RFA with little bargaining power. He can't exactly walk if he doesn't get the big contract he wants.

If he gets a 5M+ contract from the Rangers it will be because he breaks out this year and establishes himself as a 1B center/above-average 2nd line center.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
If they both become 65+ point players and are equal rangers win because of age difference. However I do see a really good fit for brassard in Ottawa as he showed last night

What if they both are equal, but Bobby Ryan has a career year playing on his line?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Zibanejad will be more expensive after this season.

Turris-Brassard as 1/2 C should be as effective as Stepan-Brassard were in New York.

When Brassard's contract is up in three years you should have one or both of Colin White and Logan Brown in the lineup giving you a wealth of options down the middle.

I love hearing these things from neutral fans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Zibanejad is an RFA with little bargaining power. He can't exactly walk if he doesn't get the big contract he wants.

If he gets a 5M+ contract from the Rangers it will be because he breaks out this year and establishes himself as a 1B center/above-average 2nd line center.

50 - 55 pts 2Cs can make 5 mil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Their top line will be Hoffman Turris Stone sooo I'd say no?

Absolutely Stone is the best forward on the team not close.

Smith is on the 2nd line because MacArthur is hurt and he scored 25 goals last year.

I think everyone agrees so far this looks like a win win.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
IMO, Sens win this trade. Brassard is a very underrated player.

Zibby is streaky and needs a kick in the groin to get going sometimes.

Just my 2c.

That was Brassard once upon a time

Machinehead couldn't have said it more perfectly. The same things being said about Zibby were the exact same things we were told about Brassard when we acquired him as the main piece in the Gaborik deal. Streaky. Tons of talent. Always leaves you wanting more.

I am not saying the Rangers have some magic bullet or anything (although we have had an amazing record with reclamation projects). But, for as much **** as people talk about AV (some of it deserved), he and the Rangers organization helped Brassard become the player he was drafted to be. I think anytime you have a 6th overall pick who becomes a 55-60 point C, it is a clear win.

Even if Zibby is a slight notch below Brassard long term, I think the trade is a clear win win for both teams. We needed to get younger. We needed a different element. Zibanejad accomplishes both for us. Brassard not only helps with the $$$ in Ottawa but he is a damn good player. Brassgod was one of my favorite players. His energy and enthusiasm is what makes us fans go crazy when a big play is made.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Deal was just what ottawa needed. Brassard fits this team like a glove, Zibanejad was streaky and immature. We needed this move - badly.

Also, do me a favour and tell me the last time Melnyk let a pending free agent walk (other than the Alfie fiasco)?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So far, they both seem to fit better with their new teams.

Still early, but looks like a win-win trade.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Trade looks great for Ottawa right now, and Rangers fans seem to be just as happy with the way Zibby showed up in preseason. Really happy with the trade.

I have to say that right now Ottawa is in much better shape with Brassard and I hope the same for the Rangers with Zibanejad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Machinehead couldn't have said it more perfectly.

giphy.gif

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

In 3 years Brassard will be a 32 year old UFA, while Zibanejad will be a 26 year old kid just entering his prime, likely already having been signed to a long-term contract.
Given the Sens disinclination to spending money, it's a good bet that they let Brassard walk in 3 years, given that he'll be 32 and probably looking for a contract that will carry him to retirement. In 3 years the Sens could very well have nothing to show for this deal, while the Rangers will have a 6'2, 220lb top 2 centerman just entering his prime at age 26. That's not a deal a team should make just because of handedness and chemistry.

This assumption is a problem. There is no guarantee the Sens were going to go long term on Zibanejad. He has had commitment and conditioning issues dating back to when Paul MacLean was the coach. We very well could have seen the Sens forced into a shorter term deal via arbitration, which would make age irrelevant as Zib would be brought to UFA status near the same point as Brassard. Zib would cost more, and Ottawa wouldn't have the hometown advantage when negotiating the next contract like they have with Brassard.

It is all speculation, but this isn't the first time Zib's name had come up in trade talks. It is documented that they wanted to swap Zib and Kadri a few years ago with the Leafs. There's also a poster (grain of salt) in the Sens prospect thread who claims Zib's name was involved in a trade with CBJ for the 3rd overall pick. Again, all speculation, but this might support the idea that the Sens weren't sold on Zibanejad. Would they really go 5-8 years on a long term big money deal with a player they weren't sold on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad