Brassard/ Zibanejad

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Machinehead couldn't have said it more perfectly. The same things being said about Zibby were the exact same things we were told about Brassard when we acquired him as the main piece in the Gaborik deal. Streaky. Tons of talent. Always leaves you wanting more.

I would be more than happy if Zibanejad had a great career with the Rangers but this is hardly a case where these things said about Zibanejad don't have merit. You can find Ottawa Citizen/Sun articles referencing these issues dating back to when Paul MacLean was coach and if you dig through the Sens board conditioning/commitment was always something brought up about Zibanejad.

Maybe some Sens fans like myself seem a bit too vocal about his short comings in response to the "they traded a 23 year old for a 29 year old with similar production that is dumb" type posts about the trade and it comes off as posters trying to talk down about Zibanejad to make the trade seem better for Ottawa. But the reality is, it is a big part of the context of the trade. His name has been brought up in trade talks before (see: to the Leafs for Kadri), and his conditioning/consistency has been an issue with fans and those covering the Sens well before he was traded.

There's no doubt Zibanejad has immense potential, but whether he'll get there, and whether he is committed enough to risk a long term big money contract on are questions that will surround the next few years of his career.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to mention, with Brown and White, we have more depth at the C position among our prospect pool than any other position.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Turris has twice been a #1 C for the Sens.

The first time he was in that role, he scored 64 points.

The second time, it lasted only 22 games until he got injured, but he was pacing at around 70 points.

Considering he has a very good two-way game and considering those numbers, in what world is he not a #1C? I guess you'll be more convinced after this season.

And how much did he do after those 22 games? Many many player will have good season if you shall focus only on a short periods of the season. Zibanejad did 11p in the last 13 games, if he had hold that pace for the whole season he would also have scored 70p.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Turris has twice been a #1 C for the Sens.

The first time he was in that role, he scored 64 points.

The second time, it lasted only 22 games until he got injured, but he was pacing at around 70 points.

Considering he has a very good two-way game and considering those numbers, in what world is he not a #1C? I guess you'll be more convinced after this season.

So man to man you think he could match up well with a Joe Thornton or a Tyler Seguin for example in a playoff series? Or be able to produce effectively against a heavy team like L.A to help lead Ottawa to a championship?

I never said Turris was a bad player, I just said his ideal spot is a #2C

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
And how much did he do after those 22 games? Many many player will have good season if you shall focus only on a short periods of the season. Zibanejad did 11p in the last 13 games, if he had hold that pace for the whole season he would also have scored 70p.

Turris was injured after those 22 games... Zibanejad was healthy all season.

All Sens fans know what happened to Turris during game 22. He twisted his ankle, didn't return to the game, and tried to play through it in the following games until he just couldn't anymore and the team and he decided it was time to give up on the season.

If you watched the games instead of the stats, you would know that.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This was just a dumb dumb trade from the beginning IMO.

There is no doubt that Brassard is the better player today, but what does that have to do in the grand scheme of things?

This Sens team is obviously not good enough to win the Stanley Cup, so why trade good young talent for second line centers?

No team wants to be in purgatory, but these moves kind of make that hard from the sens perspective.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
So man to man you think he could match up well with a Joe Thornton or a Tyler Seguin for example in a playoff series? Or be able to produce effectively against a heavy team like L.A to help lead Ottawa to a championship?

If Turris has to match up against Thornton, Seguin or the L.A. Kings in the playoffs, I would consider that a pretty good year for the Sens :)

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It's funny that sens fans are salivating over brassard on the power play because the trade probably improves the rangers powreplay immensely as well. We've not had a right hand shooter in so long and it's been a big problem for years. Stepan rarely one times a shot and when he does its not a powerful shot anyways. Other than stepan our right handed shooters in recent years have been 3rd and 4th liners.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Yeah, I definitely think he can match up well against those guys. He's much faster than Thornton and has a very good defensive game to match up against him. Against Seguin, Turris has the speed to match him and will simply have to rely on his defensive game to pounce on turnovers and create chances for his linemates. Turris has an extremely high hockey IQ, I don't see why he can't match up against those guys.

That answers your question, but you have to consider that Pageau is probably the one who would match up against other team's 1st line centers. He's an excellent shutdown center (and he's great on the PK too). Considering that, it means that Turris and Brassard would have both their lines matching up against 2nd and 3rd lines. ;)

I won't answer the question about LA because that team is declining hard; the LA of 2-3 years ago I'd maybe be afraid of (even though I find that the Sens have a tough team with guys like Smith, Methot, Phaneuf, Neil, etc.), but versus this version of the Kings I definitely have confidence in the Sens.

There is no doubt that Brassard is the better player today, but what does that have to do in the grand scheme of things?

This Sens team is obviously not good enough to win the Stanley Cup, so why trade good young talent for second line centers?

No team wants to be in purgatory, but these moves kind of make that hard from the sens perspective.

The Sens have as good a top 4 D as anyone in the league. Many neutral hockey fans believe this. Examples: Bob McKenzie, Ray Ferraro.

They have a #1 G who is very good and still in his prime.

They have as good a list of top 6 scorers as anyone (including Karlsson). They have possibly 6 60+ point scorers.

Most of their core players are in their prime or soon reaching it.

And now they seem to have a good coaching staff which should (the only real question mark) translate to better special teams and less SA and GA (acquiring Phaneuf helps in this aspect as well). I don't see why the Sens can't win the Cup in the next 3 years. Their window opened this summer.

It's funny that sens fans are salivating over brassard on the power play because the trade probably improves the rangers powreplay immensely as well. We've not had a right hand shooter in so long and it's been a big problem for years. Stepan rarely one times a shot and when he does its not a powerful shot anyways. Other than stepan our right handed shooters in recent years have been 3rd and 4th liners.

Lol, that's cute. So because Zbad is gonna help your PP Sens fans are not allowed to be happy that Brassard is helping theirs? Teams have different needs and Zibanejad was redundant on the Sens PP. I'm glad he's helping yours, so I don't see why you should find it "funny that sens fans are salivating over brassard on the PP".

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Lol, that's cute. So because Zbad is gonna help your PP Sens fans are not allowed to be happy that Brassard is helping theirs? Teams have different needs and Zibanejad was redundant on the Sens PP. I'm glad he's helping yours, so I don't see why you should find it "funny that sens fans are salivating over brassard on the PP".

He said it will improve the Rangers as well as Ottawa, which he implies that the trade benefits both teams.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Believe it or not, Cup or bust isn't how everyone views the NHL. This improves Ottawa's chances of making the playoffs, and Brassard is a player their fans are all going to love.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

There's no obvious anywhere IMO. There are the upper echelon teams out there, then there are 'the rest' of the pack. Clearly Ottawa management thinks that if they can get into the playoffs, then they'll take their chances, especially after adding Phaneuf and Brassard to the fold.

The purgatory the Sens are in is the same as 80% of teams out there. They don't suck, so they're not getting a top flight draft pick, but they haven't been good enough to win more than a round recently. Clearly the hope is, this current lineup of players, including a great top 6 (until MacArthur's injury) and an excellent top 4 and a veteran, excellent goaltender could do something in the playoffs, if they get in.

Zibanejad wasn't doing much in Ottawa, I watched every game, Brassard brings a play-making ability ZBad doesn't have, a handedness that goes with Ryan and, as of right now, a better work ethic (until I hear differently).

It's all pretty clear why Ottawa is trying to upgrade their roster.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

1-The Sens have three more seasons guaranteed with Karlsson before he becomes a UFA. Whether or not they are a clear cut contender, they have to try and win while they still have him. They also have to show Karlsson they are competent enough to build a winning squad and have a willingness to compete so that he re-signs.

2-You said it yourself. There is no doubt that Brassard is the better player today. Zibanejad's name had been in trade talks in the past, and his conditioning and commitment has always been an issue. There is no guarantee the Sens would have been comfortable going long term with him next season, which makes age irrelevant because if they had to go through arbitration on a 2 year deal, or they did a similar length deal to what Hoffman got, they really aren't giving up nearly as many years of Zibanejad vs Brassard as people are thinking. They get the better player for potentially the same amount of years, and for cheaper.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I think you misinterpreted this one, I think he meant that it's funny because it also helps the rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad