Dreger: Brassard likely to be traded

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Insider Trading

Pittsburgh media members have been saying this for months at this point, but it's still worthwhile to share. The Penguins don't think Brassard is a fit on their 3rd line, so they're likely going to move him and bring in a replacement 3C.

Edit: an idea I saw thrown out on another site is Brassard+ to Minnesota for Coyle. Minnesota needs more offensive talent, seeing how they're 24th in goals for this year, and they may potentially lose Staal this year to free agency. Being able to re-sign Brassard to be one of your top-6 centers may be a positive in the eyes of the Wild.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So the Wild needs more offensive talent, they need to get younger and more dynamic offensively and they'll trade a 26-year-old Coyle who is signed for this and the next season and has shown he can outscore the other guy for a 31 year old signed for only this season as the main piece coming back?

I hate the Wild and wish them nothing but eternal mediocrity, but even I can see they should not make this deal.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think Brassard is a Top6 FW anymore, seems to have been on the decline for a while.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Oilers could be a fit, we've been lacking a 3C since Strome was traded.

Only issue is cap. What would the ask be for Brassard @ 50% retained?

Reactions: Calgareee

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Brassard is a Top6 FW anymore, seems to have been on the decline for a while.

He put up 40 ES points in 72 games last season, which are firmly 2C numbers. It was actually his best ES points/game of his career last season.

But yeah, I think Brassard is best described as a middle-6 center at this point. I think he's either a 2C behind a really good 1C or on an offensive 3rd line at this point. If your team has a guy like Staal as the 2C and can use Brassard like an offensive 3C, I think he'd be a great fit on your team. It's why I think Carolina is a great destination for Brassard if he hits free agency.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Could be an interesting target for the Oilers. What's the ask?

Oilers could be a fit, we've been lacking a 3C since Strome was traded.

Only issue is cap. What would the ask be for Brassard @ 50% retained?

From the sounds of it, a better fit for the 3C spot without a huge downgrade is what the Penguins are shooting for. I don't think Edmonton has anything like that, nor do I think Brassard would be a great fit on Edmonton. I think Brassard would only work in Edmonton if he's the 2C on a line with Draisaitl or RNH on the wing.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He put up 40 ES points in 72 games last season, which are firmly 2C numbers. It was actually his best ES points/game of his career last season.

But yeah, I think Brassard is best described as a middle-6 center at this point. I think he's either a 2C behind a really good 1C or on an offensive 3rd line at this point. If your team has a guy like Staal as the 2C and can use Brassard like an offensive 3C, I think he'd be a great fit on your team. It's why I think Carolina is a great destination for Brassard if he hits free agency.

He played with Stone for the entire year. 33 of those 40 EV points were with Ottawa. Interesting to see that as soon as he stopped playing with Stone, his numbers dropped drastically :huh: (@ Melnyk+Dorion). Actually kinda sucks to see he's only had 26 points in 72 games with the pens. Great guy and apparently great teammate, but it looks like he's already over the hill. Probably still a useful 3C though.

Thanks for Gus, JBD and Tychonick I guess :arr: (waits for rangers fan to thank us for Zibanejad cause lol @ that trade too)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Staal for Brassard and Jarry

If the cap would work out in the long run, I think Staal would be amazing here.

He played with Stone for the entire year. 33 of those 40 EV points were with Ottawa. Interesting to see that as soon as he stopped playing with Stone, his numbers dropped drastically :huh: (@ Melnyk+Dorion). Actually kinda sucks to see he's only had 26 points in 72 games with the pens. Great guy and apparently great teammate, but it looks like he's already over the hill. Probably still a useful 3C though.

Thanks for Gus, JBD and Tychonick I guess :arr: (waits for rangers fan to thank us for Zibanejad cause lol @ that trade too)

Brassard had 8 points in 14 games with the Penguins after the trade though, with 7 of those points being at ES. He's struggling with the Penguins this year because he's very poorly suited to be used in a role the Penguins use their 3C in. He's an offensive center who should be used in an offensive role, he's at like a 40% offensive zone start% with the Penguins this year. The problem is that they can't use him in any other way because they're not going to take away offensive opportunities from Crosby and Malkin and give them to Brassard.

The people saying Brassard is over the hill are only looking at his point totals. He looks like a guy who's struggling in a role he's not suited for, and he looks incredibly vanilla because of it. Sometimes guys just don't fit with teams after trades, that doesn't mean they're over the hill or bad or anything like that.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Brandon Sutter? Aside from the fact that he was traded away. He sounds exactly like the Penguins are looking for.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think Brassard is a difficult target as a rental right now. His body of work suggests he will gather interest in the off-season, change of scenery + the right term and all that. But in terms of assets you'd give up now for a struggling player i don't see the Pens getting a whole lot. In a way it's worse to play on a team where you have a good chance to succeed and fail than it is to sit on a non-playoff team underperforming because everybody knows you're just waiting to get traded, so there's that excuse.

Teams looking at Brassard might ask themselves, if he's struggling in Pittsburgh why would he work for us ? At the end of the day there's not a whole lot of time to figure your game out on a new team before it's summer and then those assets go down the drain.

I think a team desperate for 2C might give him a shot, team like Buffalo might give it a go for the right price and make their playoff push. But if the Pens are looking to swap him for a 3C i don't see why any team would give up a player like that who they can use for their own run. If you have a solid 3C it's tough to look at Brassard and say this guy is a clear upgrade right now.

I guess the Pens could flip Brassard for something and then use those assets to get a 3C, but who that would be i've no idea.

Reactions: traparatus

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Insider Trading

Pittsburgh media members have been saying this for months at this point, but it's still worthwhile to share. The Penguins don't think Brassard is a fit on their 3rd line, so they're likely going to move him and bring in a replacement 3C.

Edit: an idea I saw thrown out on another site is Brassard+ to Minnesota for Coyle. Minnesota needs more offensive talent, seeing how they're 24th in goals for this year, and they may potentially lose Staal this year to free agency. Being able to re-sign Brassard to be one of your top-6 centers may be a positive in the eyes of the Wild.
Would much rather keep Coyle.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brandon Sutter? Aside from the fact that he was traded away. He sounds exactly like the Penguins are looking for.

I'd rather waive Brassard and put Sheahan in as the 3C over trading him for Sutter. Yuck, that's horrible.

That actually brings up a good point, if your 3C isn't better than Sheahan, the Penguins won't trade you Brassard for him.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

SenatorJoey

Jan 15, 2019
Insider Trading

One may wonder if Pittsburgh can get as much in return like Pierre Dorrion did for Ottawa. hands down the best trade Sens Gm did since he got hired.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Can't see the Canes giving up Staal. Jarry isn't very proven and doesn't scream future #1 goalie to me and any rental for a team that far behind in the race doesn't sound like a smart idea.

Jordan is a respected guy in the room and does a lot for the team when healthy and playing. The way the team is shaping up right now they won't have many vets on the team moving forward.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

If the cap would work out in the long run, I think Staal would be amazing here.

Staal as in Jordan Staal? Sure, sign me up for that.

One caveat though: how much salary does the Canes retain?

If you don't need us to retain, than Brassard and Jarry would be an even swap for us. If you need us to retain (his AAV is $6M) then we'd want more coming back of course. What level of retention would you want?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad