Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Babs716

Sep 22, 2023
Agree with all of that during the regular season.

I do not agree with that in the playoffs. Try to picture our D without Protz in a playoff series.
Doomed.

He’s not a repeat offender. Stupid move against Kingston? Yes. One I’m sure he is more than well aware of. There have also been plenty of times where he made very good choices in the heat of the moment. The guys have so much respect for their coaches (and eachother), and the level of discipline most of them display makes that evident. Protz and Sobolev have been playing 30 min + a game for the last couple months. They have busted their asses on the back end for us through pain, illness, exhaustion…are there times when they’ve both made questionable decisions? Yes. Is it likely the result of exhaustion, frustration, other teams constantly trying to get under their skin because they know their chances of scoring are a whole lot better when those two aren’t on the ice… maybe…
These guys know what’s at stake. They’re the ones that have been putting in the blood, sweat and tears. We can’t afford to “bench” any of our top D…or any of our D for that matter, but I also think with where they’re all at right now…it’s a moot point.

Last edited:

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Can't imagine this D group right now with Protz.

Since he came back from the headbutting penalty I think Roberts has been pretty good, for the most part.

I think Chen has made huge steps through the year, but he's a #7. Krmpotic and Lloyd are emergency solutions. Rebelo is a F that has performed pretty good.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Maybe I was misunderstood here...

I'm calling Protz name here because if this team is to go anywhere in playoffs, he'll have to be best Protz we've seen yet.

But he's young, and playing more time and having more important role then player of his age should have, due to our circumstances.

He's been handling it above expectations, no doubt. At the same time he'll have to cut down on dangling, puck flops and being naively drawn into committing stupid penalty. How you do that let's leave it to coaches.

He very well might be future NHL player. I can see that, size, puck handling, decisions. But by nature of his position, any turnovers or bad decisions are automatic 50/50 GA. In couple of recent games, he made some game costing mistakes.

Not saying, clip his wings, cut him down and push him into doldrums. Just send clear, unequivocal message, no one is above the law, especially since he is so young.

Moore, Oki, Sobi can recover if they do unexpected flop, most of the time, at this age he can not. And so much will depend on his play.

Reactions: Babs716

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Colin Ward in a twitter reply says that Lardis is hopeful for the start of playoffs, Oki is still week to week, but closing in on day to day. Hamara is another 3-4 weeks.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Website says there are no tickets available. Hopefully everyone (businesses) with tickets, use them.

Expecting the D pairings to be the same as they were before this past weekend.

Protz - Sobolev
Rebelo - Moore
Roberts - Chen

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Website says there are no tickets available. Hopefully everyone (businesses) with tickets, use them.

Protz - Sobolev
Rebelo - Moore
Roberts - Chen
Still hopefull Oki is ready, that would be big boost.

Reactions: Jawk

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Still hopefull Oki is ready, that would be big boost.
I'm almost halfway through the Bulldogs Audio Network podcast and they haven't mentioned Oki yet.

They had some updates

Hamara is at least 2 weeks away POSSIBLY a 2nd round return.

Sure sounds like Lardis is back tonight. They didn't say it, but they all but said it. Very giddy about the possibility.

I'm Sure we're all hoping for that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Protz - Sobolev
Rebelo - Moore
Roberts - Chen

I was on the Ticket master site at 12:05pm on Tuesday and there were no 2 seats together for tonight’s game. They ere all sold out within the first five minutes.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

Protz - Sobolev
Rebelo - Moore
Roberts - Chen

Rebelo has actually played well on D.

Reactions: Jawk

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Bujold out. Lardis and Oki in.

I was on the Ticket master site at 12:05pm on Tuesday and there were no 2 seats together for tonight’s game. They ere all sold out within the first five minutes.
The only ones that pop up now are season holders relisting their seats.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Bujold out. Lardis and Oki in.

The only ones that pop up now are season holders relisting their seats.

Yes. Sorry. There were the $80 tickets for resale that I was not going to purchase.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

Says alot that with Okitundu back they are leaving Rebelo in and taking Chen out.

Imo, that is 100% the right call.

Too bad about Bujold, but that is a couple of important additions.

I just got more excited than I was and that's saying something.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Imo, that is 100% the right call.

Too bad about Bujold, but that is a couple of important additions.

I just got more excited than I was and that's saying something.
Same. Apparently he's looked great in practice. Probably could have played last weekend.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
A few thoughts after 2 periods...

Sobolev has been a beast.

We need to stay out of the scrums (especially Vanacker and Xhekaj).

Some bad cross ice passes that they got away with (Vanacker 2, Lavoie and Lardis to name a few).

O'Brien continues to perform like somebody that isn't 16 yrs old.

Great to have Lardis back (special teams has been the difference).

Bulldogs are being way to casual in their own end. Ottawa has a very strong forecheck.

Pretty even game imo, maybe even an edge to Ottawa, although the shots don't show it.

Last edited:

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Lardis is the sexy pick for player of the game.

Sobolev was a Russian Bear.

Building was absolutely electric.

Need to stay out of the box. We're too heavy for them to play 5 on 5.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Great start to the playoffs.

Lardis is a huge add. Drobac played really well when called upon.
I am glad Nick Lardis got two goals tonight. He was one of my favourite Petes players when he played in Peterborough. Now that the Petes are not in the playoffs I am hoping he gets a chance to play for an OHL Championship this year.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I don't remember Mayer taking so many dumb penalties when he played for the Petes.

3 really bad ones in less than 4 periods. Still a very dangerous player, but he keeps putting his team in a hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad