Value of: Brandon Sutter (zero retention)

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He doesn't fit in with our teams systems, but unlike a few of the other guys who get listed here (Gudbranson, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Gagner, Del Zotto) he's not necessarily overpaid for what he could bring, or at least not nearly as much.

A team with a playmaker looking for a finisher, or someone to break through and create a few breakaways, he could prove to be a solid addition. He is a good skater to boot, and seems to chew through ice time, both critical and killing time. His defensive and offensive awareness leave more then a little to be desired however, as does his physical play, which I think he has an unfair stereotype of being great at these areas because of his name.

I don't expect a big return, but for some reason he seems to tick a lot of boxes for some managers. I mean...like a pick or prospect? A scoring winger with a similar contract? A RHD (yeah right)?

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Is Sutter overpaid a bit? Yea he is, but for a defensive C his line when he's been healthy this year has done fairly well. He does take a lot of the defensive responsibilities off the kids which is needed for them to develop.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Sutter for Bozak?
No thanks
Spooner straight up
No
What do the Canucks want? Longish contract and that 15 team NTC is going to suppress interest/availability. Buffalo fans want Sobotka shot into the sun and need a viable 3 to push him out of playing center. Not sure if Botterill was overly involved in the move to Bonino, but if the value is relatively light, the Sabres might be a team interested.
2nd+prospect?
Edmonton needs a 3c. Spooner + Manning?
Hell no
No. Bozak is much better.
No he’s not. Sutter can actually eat defensive minutes. Bozak is bad at everything.
Blues take him for Jake Allen. They have almost identical remaining term and $.
Not a chance in hell.
What is his contract ?
How about depending on his contract to St Louis for Alex Steen, and we will throw in Jake Allen also.
4.375 for 2 more years after this season.

I’d consider it for Steen. Always liked him as a player.
Is his contract insured? And might we interest you in one slightly used Victor Rask for Sutter and a mid-round pick? No retention
No idea if his contract is insured.

No interest in that offer though. Rask is a worse player and signed for 1 more year than Sutter, then we add? Makes no sense.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I never thought I’d say this but I’d rather lee Sutter than trade him for the junk in this thread.
Agreed. When used properly he actually helps our team by taking some of the defensive workload off of Horvat and by PKing. He also can score off the rush, is decent in 3v3 OT, and is good in shootouts.

He only hurts us when he used in offensive situations at 5 on 5 cause he sucks at it.

Plus imo he’s only overpaid by like 500k at this point.

Reactions: dim jim

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Agreed. When used properly he actually helps our team by taking some of the defensive workload off of Horvat and by PKing. He also can score off the rush, is decent in 3v3 OT, and is good in shootouts.

He only hurts us when he used in offensive situations at 5 on 5 cause he sucks at it.

Plus imo he’s only overpaid by like 500k at this point.
Absolutely horrible trade, Bonino was better and on a much better contract but I agree.

Green knows how to linematch unlike that other moron.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Sutter is basically the forward version of Tanev. Let's just keep him and spare ourselves from reading awful proposals from fans who undervalue the **** out of him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's unlikely that Benning trades Sutter.

If that changes, I think he goes for a top6 left winger or a top4 right shot Dman. Otherwise, they keep him.

He proved his usefulness last year. Has been mostly injured this year. Still, others will get traded before him.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Spooner , Manning for cap reason and a 2nd . I don’t think Sutter is worth a 2nd but because we are sending short term cap dumps to you and we are filling a need

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It depends on the team, at their cap, I suppose. For NYR, I'd take Lucic at 3 million over the next 4 years, w/ a prospect and a 1st, over Sutter at 4.3'ish/over the next 2 years. The buyout for Lucic looks much different in 2 years after a trade like this.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
For the record, I actually do like Sutter. His defensive assignments and responsibilities takes pressure off of the kids and also helps Beagle.

My reasoning for trading Sutter is for two reasons:

1) The younger and cheaper Gaudette gets promoted. I believe that it would be better for Gaudette’s development to follow a developmental path that was similar to Horvat’s rather than giving Gaudette big minutes in Utica in.a Top 6 role. My reasoning for this is that I believe Gaudette is going to have to grind it out and continue to show a 200 foot game (as opposed to being an elite Scorer right off the bat) if Gaudette is going to make the big club. I don’t see Gaudette lighting up the NHL as an elite scorer and so playing him in that type of role down in Utica is a little pointless imo.

2) I believe that the Canucks need to resign Edler and can’t afford to let him walk as it will put too much pressure on Hutton, Hughes, and Juolevi. Even if Hughes is ready to be an elite top pairing guy right from the get go, you can’t just bank on that. He might need a bit of time to comfortably develop into that role. That’s where Edler comes in. Hutton goes to an ideal 3rd pairing D, while Juolevi continues to develop in Utica until he proves that he is ready to bump Hutton out (at which point, the Canucks can promote Juolevi and move Hutton).

IF the Canucks design Edler (to what I imagine would be a 3 year deal at a slightly inflated AAV), the Canucks will need to be cap conscious from both a short term and long term perspective, given that Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes will need to be reupped with major coinage. Hence - I think moving Sutter and promoting Gaudette is the Canucks’ best option.

Move Sutter for a pick or picks......otherwise the Canucks. Only way the Canucks take on a bad contract for Sutter is if said contract is an expiring contract at the end of the season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Are you sure about that? Sutter does a lot defensively on Vancouver, and I think he is a better skater than Bozak.
Numbers have always suggested Sutter is really not good. Can’t say I’ve really noticed him when I’ve watched Vancouver. He’s certainly never been noticeable in good way that would cause me to doubt the data.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad