Player Discussion Brandon Sutter. Defensive Center. One More Year Remaining at $4.375 AAV (w/ M-NTC).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think there is value in unloading Sutter. Being a UFA, defensive centre, pk player, and veteran should bring in an asset or two.

He won't be moved unless we are way out the race though.
Agreed, but a smart GM moves Sutter at this TDL regardless of our standing. Clearly we’re not a Cup contender. Heck we are not really even a playoff contender. A smart GM would be collecting draft capital. And if Sutter can be moved at this TDL for a second or third (I think that’s his value on an expiring contract) then it needs to be done. The team can survive with a new ball-boy.

Reactions: David71

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Be prepared to be 'stunned'. Sutter is the kind of veteran player on an expiring contract that any playoff bound team should be interested in acquiring. He can play wing or center; kills penalties and is better than average in the faceoff dot.

Of course he has a NTC in his contract, and we've been down this road before with Hamhuis. If history is any guide, 'Jimbo will run out of time'.

but Sutter isn't a good hockey player. what is he gonna boost on a playoff team? he's 4th line fodder. (u take a 4th rounder all day for him.)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Agreed, but a smart GM moves Sutter at this TDL regardless of our standing. Clearly we’re not a Cup contender. Heck we are not really even a playoff contender. A smart GM would be collecting draft capital. And if Sutter can be moved at this TDL for a second or third (I think that’s his value on an expiring contract) then it needs to be done. The team can survive with a new ball-boy.
Might as well retane as much as possible (think is 50%) to maximize the return. Might even work out as most teams are near the cap so they may want us to take a cap dump whose even more useless than Sutter plus a sweeter pick/prospect

Maybe just wishful thinking ;)

Reactions: Luckylarry

Nov 1, 2011
Planning on somehow getting a 1st for Sutter.

It's going to be a bit of a random draft, may as well buy some lottery tickets.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Planning on somehow getting a 1st for Sutter.

It's going to be a bit of a random draft, may as well buy some lottery tickets.
Sutter isn’t worth that kind of return. If we retain max dollars then maybe we can get a second, but most likely a third or fourth at the TDL.
But JB won’t trade Sutter, or Pearson, or anyone at the TDL for picks. If ?Sutter is to be moved at the TDL it will have to be a new GM.

Reactions: mossey3535

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Sutter is a veteran centre who is a good penalty killer and can score the odd goal so he has some value, but obviously that is not equal to $4+ million. If 50% is retained a playoff contender looking for veteran depth may well be interested if they can fit him under the cap. Especially if they’ve lost a pk’er for the season and have some ltir room. Maybe a mid round pick in return if everything falls the Canucks way.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Zero assist in 19 games. I still find this hard to believe for a 'Foundational' third line Centre that gets gads of ice time at 5x5, on the PP and on the PK:
2020-21Vancouver CanucksNHL19505-30|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not shocking. He may have the lowest rate of primary assists of any player that sees 15+ minutes a night for his career.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
but Sutter isn't a good hockey player. what is he gonna boost on a playoff team? he's 4th line fodder. (u take a 4th rounder all day for him.)

There's still a lot of OBC GMs out there who value Sutter based on name-brand reputation and faceoffzz.

IMO, Sutter is not a terrible 3c and is a very good 4C. I was very critical of the trade and contract extension (because they were horrible), but if you're looking for a defensively oriented bottom-six centre with PK utility, Sutter is a nice option. At 50% retention, I think you could extract a 2nd round pick out of someone. Maybe a team like EDM looks at him for a playoff push - their bottom-six is still trash and the Turris experiment has been a failure. Sutter at least gives them a defensive presence in the bottom-six and being in the Canadian Division limits his quarantine time.

The Canucks acquired him to be a "foundational player", but at the very least Sutter accomplishes what the organization thinks Jay Beagle does.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not shocking. He may have the lowest rate of primary assists of any player that sees 15+ minutes a night for his career.

Heh, the guys from 1917-1925 might have him beat.

But yeah, in the modern era I'd be shocked if a forward has played more while generating fewer primary assists.

Actually I think you'll be surprised by the results. Sutter isn't a playmaker and most of the assists he picks up would be off his shot. So my guess is that a great percentage of the assists he picks up would be considered primary assists.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Actually I think you'll be surprised by the results. Sutter isn't a playmaker and most of the assists he picks up would be off his shot. So my guess is that a great percentage of the assists he picks up would be considered primary assists.

He has 6 primary assists in 79 games over the past 3 years. He had 2 primary assists for Pittsburgh the year before we acquired him, and one was a puck that deflected off his skate. For a center getting 15+ minutes/game, his primary assist numbers are shockingly low.

You're right that most of these are probably rebounds because he basically never completes a pass to a teammate in the neutral/offensive zones.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He has 6 primary assists in 79 games over the past 3 years. He had 2 primary assists for Pittsburgh the year before we acquired him, and one was a puck that deflected off his skate. For a center getting 15+ minutes/game, his primary assist numbers are shockingly low.

You're right that most of these are probably rebounds because he basically never completes a pass to a teammate in the neutral/offensive zones.

Where are you getting that stat from?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

It looks like F A N is right, and he does get more primary assists than secondary assists. He just does not get a lot of assists in general. He has never got more than 14 assists in a season. He has never had higher than 0.9 assists/60, which is 18 in a year if you play 15 minutes a night. He has 33 assists in his last 231 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It looks like F A N is right, and he does get more primary assists than secondary assists. He just does not get a lot of assists in general. He has never got more than 14 assists in a season. He has never had higher than 0.9 assists/60, which is 18 in a year if you play 15 minutes a night. He has 33 assists in his last 231 games.

To be fair, EVERYONE should get more primary assists because significantly more primary assists are awarded.

Sutter has generally averaged 15 assists/82 GP over the course of his career, which is atrocious for a #2/3 center playing 16-18 minutes/game most years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He had a 19 assist season as well as a 17 assist season. But ya generally he's a ~15 assist guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad