Proposal: Brandon Saad to Boston

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
As a fan of neither team, I'm appalled by the notion that Backes' contract is being equated to 26 year old Brandon Saad's. Saad is on pace for 47 points which is pretty close to his career average. Last season was obviously a disappointment but given his recent play and age, he's far from a sure thing in terms of regression. Backes on the other hand is 34 years old and is less likely to viewed as a player with upside. Backes certainly had a higher peek so I suppose there's that. I still don't think their value is in the same ballpark.

Saad should not be dealt for a cap dump unless said dump is being included with picks or prospects.

No one is saying Backes is the main piece in a deal for Saad. Just that for it to work he would need to be included

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
As a fan of neither team, I'm appalled by the notion that Backes' contract is being equated to 26 year old Brandon Saad's. Saad is on pace for 47 points which is pretty close to his career average. Last season was obviously a disappointment but given his recent play and age, he's far from a sure thing in terms of regression. Backes on the other hand is 34 years old and is less likely to viewed as a player with upside. Backes certainly had a higher peek so I suppose there's that. I still don't think their value is in the same ballpark.

Saad should not be dealt for a cap dump unless said dump is being included with picks or prospects.

Yep. When I started I really didn't expect to see the name "Backes" anywhere in it. As a Bruins fan, I know we would have to give up something that actually hurt. Something along the lines of Krug and Donato, which might not hurt enough.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
No one is saying Backes is the main piece in a deal for Saad. Just that for it to work he would need to be included
That's not what was implied by the previous discussion and I don't think I'm the only one with that disconnect. What would you be willing to bundle with Backes for Saad if this were the case? The difference between the two is likely a fairly high value young asset. Saad is probably worth a late second/early third on his own and according to recent play that value is probably trending back upwards. I wonder if Boston would be willing to deal a first rounder with Backes in order to unload that contract. Even then I wonder if Chicago would prefer an asset that could contribute sooner. Chicago is in an awkward position with Kanes and Toews being signed long term.

As an outsider I'd say defense and goaltending is an achilles heel but they may still be counting on Crawford to rebound after his injury.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If the hawks choose to admit they are going for a rebuild. I believe there's a possibility of a deal to made between the 2 as matching salaries. The questions is what would the hawks want to make the deal worth it, and what would Boston be comfortable parting with.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Saad of last season maybe.

This season he's been very good (after a slow start for a few games.)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The packages of prospects/picks it would take for the Hawks to agree to take on Backes is going to be much higher than the what Boston would want to give up. The Hawks aren't the Coyotes or someone like that, who's going to be a clearing house for bad contracts. The Hawks finally have space and are going to want to use it.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The Hawks aren't taking Backes back, so if that's the only way it works for the Bruins, there clearly isnt a fit. The Hawks are out of cap hell for the first time in years and you expect them to take Backes for the next 2+ years? Come on.
The question was, what would it take?

A salary dump will be part of it. I get that it wouldn't be pleasant (or even doable) but that's what would have to happen.

So, as you said, no fit.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The question was, what would it take?

A salary dump will be part of it. I get that it wouldn't be pleasant (or even doable) but that's what would have to happen.

So, as you said, no fit.

The only other option is salary retention.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Saad would look good in Boston, but the cap hit doesn't work for them and we do NOT want Backes coming back.

Believe it or not, Saad isn't a cap dump. He had a tough 2-3 weeks to start the season and everyone thought he had become a $6m bottom 6 winger, but he's been one of our best forwards since that time. And while he might not put up 60pts a season, almost all of his points come from even strength or short handed. I'm actually pretty certain he has more pts on the PK than on the PP so far this year. If he wasn't so awful on the PP, he'd certainly be flirting with 60pts by season's end.

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
With both McAvoy and Carlo needing to be resigned, and the Cap only going up $3.5, I have a feeling that Backes wo has 2 years left in his contract will be bought out this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oates2Neely

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
With both McAvoy and Carlo needing to be resigned, and the Cap only going up $3.5, I have a feeling that Backes wo has 2 years left in his contract will be bought out this summer.
It's been brought up many times, but a buyout will save the Bruins approximately $300,000 in cap space for the 2020 season and a bit over $2M in 2021. Those RFAs are coming due in 2020, so a buyout won't help with them at all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Chicago is looking to retool quickly, I would think Krug would be of interest. Solves Boston’s need of having to move back salary. If Krug is not of interest I’m sure a three way with picks going to Chicago and Saad going to Boston could be out there. I do think that 1 for 1 Krug holds more value and how much more value would be the point of contention. If Boston moves out Krug, I would want more than Saad back.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Backes contract as mentioned above is bonus heavy so a buyout helps nothing.

Bruins best move is to pay his bonus on 7/1 and then trade him for 2x2.5 in real cash to a team that doesn’t care about his cap hit. I’m SURE they can find a non cap team looking for veteran leadership and a physical presence in the bottom 6. Heck, if there was no cap I’d love to keep Backes for that purpose.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This isn't a video game, why on earth would the Hawks even consider bringing Backes back in a trade for Saad? It would require too much +++ from the Bruins for it to make sense.

Yeah don’t know how many times it needs to be repeated to Bruins fans that Backes is 10000000% easier to move on July 2nd next year to a non-cap team.

Reactions: Pile

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
you understand how a salary cap works, right?

1. the bruins cant fit Saad under the cap right now.

2. they are not going to eat up precious cap space on Saad with both Carlo and McAvoy hitting RFA this offseason

If Saad is coming to Boston, then equal cap hit needs to go back to Chicago, easiest way is sending Backes

Then Saad isn't coming to Boston, but thank you for explaining how the salary cap works to us.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
Enough of the little fish. Go for the big ones. Try this on for size.

To Boston: Kane

To Chicago: Krug
Debrusk
Backes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I stand corrected, but the point still stands.

Saad and Backes aren't close in value, with the same contract.

Think Backes has too much term for the Hawks to consider. I don't think the Hawks move Saad unless they get a nice package for him, and anything realistic with Backes coming back ain't it.
nobody is taking an underachieving 6m forward without sending cap back

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think a guy that Chicago would love is Matt Grzelcyk. Just a 1st class puck mover and 1st class at shutting down plays between the blue lines. Undersized and has not shown dynamic ability in the offensive zone, yet. Signed for a buck twenty five the next two seasons and still RFA status. A piece, but a main piece. Problem is that I can't come up with a deal for Boston that doesn't involve Krug (or Backes). At least until everyone is healthy and they don't have 27 players on the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad