Proposal: Brandon Saad to Boston

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
What would it take? Chicago is almost last in the league this year so maybe they're willing to deal off some guys.

Any suggestions? What are Chicago's biggest needs?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
gonna need Backes going the other way. Not taking on 2 dead $6m contracts at once

200w.webp

Backes 82 game pace 15 pts. Saad 45. Backes 8 years older

Last edited:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
"It's gonna start with DeBrusk"

I just beat so many people to the punch

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Is there any salary retention? I find it hard to believe that Boston would look at Saad at $6 million as a player that they want to take on unless there is some other benefit. Boston would have to clear $4-5 million in salary. Who would they move for Saad? Backes is the only one that makes any sense for Boston. So it would have to be something like Saad for Backes and a prospect or something along those lines. I have no idea if that works at all for Chicago.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
They are both signed for the same length actually.

I stand corrected, but the point still stands.

Saad and Backes aren't close in value, with the same contract.

Think Backes has too much term for the Hawks to consider. I don't think the Hawks move Saad unless they get a nice package for him, and anything realistic with Backes coming back ain't it.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Laugh all you want but Backes would have to go back the other way.
There's a salary cap, remember?

The Hawks aren't taking Backes back, so if that's the only way it works for the Bruins, there clearly isnt a fit. The Hawks are out of cap hell for the first time in years and you expect them to take Backes for the next 2+ years? Come on.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I stand corrected, but the point still stands.

Saad and Backes aren't close in value, with the same contract.

Think Backes has too much term for the Hawks to consider. I don't think the Hawks move Saad unless they get a nice package for him, and anything realistic with Backes coming back ain't it.

Clearly they don't have the same value but moving Backes is probably the only way they could fit Saad's salary without downgrading their team. Like I said in an earlier post it would have to be Backes and a prospect and the Bruins have some good ones.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not even in the same ballpark.

From Hawks perspective, Saads been better this year. He's slightly overpaid, but they aren't going to move him without getting an actual asset back.

you understand how a salary cap works, right?

1. the bruins cant fit Saad under the cap right now.

2. they are not going to eat up precious cap space on Saad with both Carlo and McAvoy hitting RFA this offseason

If Saad is coming to Boston, then equal cap hit needs to go back to Chicago, easiest way is sending Backes

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Clearly they don't have the same value but moving Backes is probably the only way they could fit Saad's salary without downgrading their team. Like I said in an earlier post it would have to be Backes and a prospect and the Bruins have some good ones.

Understood from the Bruins side, but from the Hawks side, there's no impetuous to move him. He's playing better. If they do decide to move him, it's not going to be for a dead contract like Backes along with a prospect/pick.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The Hawks aren't taking Backes back, so if that's the only way it works for the Bruins, there clearly isnt a fit. The Hawks are out of cap hell for the first time in years and you expect them to take Backes for the next 2+ years? Come on.

That's fine. I wouldn't expect them to take Backes without an additional piece coming from Boston. Either way, I don't think they can add $6 million in cap hit without moving the majority of that space out as well. No player that makes that kind of money on the Bruins with the exception of Backes, is a player that I would like to see them move for Saad. I could see something along the lines of Backes, a prospect, and a 4th line type of player going to Chicago. I completely understand if that isn't going to work but that's the point I would want to see them agree to not making a deal. That's probably the best course of action here anyway.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
you understand how a salary cap works, right?

1. the bruins cant fit Saad under the cap right now.

2. they are not going to eat up precious cap space on Saad with both Carlo and McAvoy hitting RFA this offseason

If Saad is coming to Boston, then equal cap hit needs to go back to Chicago, easiest way is sending Backes

Lol, yes I as a Hawks fan I understand the salary cap. You think the Hawks who finally have cleared cap space for the first time in years are going to trade Saad to take back a dead contract? That makes no sense. There's no fit there.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Understood from the Bruins side, but from the Hawks side, there's no impetuous to move him. He's playing better. If they do decide to move him, it's not going to be for a dead contract like Backes along with a prospect/pick.

Yeah, I get it. I think we can agree that this deal shouldn't be made.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Clearly the OP was hoping that Chicago has soured on Saad as he’s been a massive disappointment since being traded for Panarin and Bruin responders view Saad for what he’s been the last few years which would mean he’s vastly overpaid, but have interest because they know what he could be or once was...but as hawks fans have stated, if they are trading him it won’t be for an equally terrible contract unless the prospect is impressive, if it’s just your run of the mill B+ prospect then there’s nothing that moves the needle so why downgrade on your bad contract for a payout with limited upside

I don’t think there’s anything here unless you take out Backes and have salary retention be the means to cap relief rather than a bad contract going back, but I’m too lazy to look up how that might fit

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Clearly the OP was hoping that Chicago has soured on Saad as he’s been a massive disappointment since being traded for Panarin and Bruin responders view Saad for what he’s been the last few years which would mean he’s vastly overpaid, but have interest because they know what he could be or once was...but as hawks fans have stated, if they are trading him it won’t be for an equally terrible contract unless the prospect is impressive, if it’s just your run of the mill B+ prospect then there’s nothing that moves the needle so why downgrade on your bad contract for a payout with limited upside

I don’t think there’s anything here unless you take out Backes and have salary retention be the means to cap relief rather than a bad contract going back, but I’m too lazy to look up how that might fit
Saad isn't even that overpaid. He is currently on pace for 45pts, which is only 8pts less than when he signed the contract that no one thought was over payment at the time.

Since his terrible start to the year where he only had 2A in his first 8GP, he has 13pts in 18GP. (a 60pt pace)

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If Backes comes back in exchange it will have to be a pretty big damn plus for Chicago to have pure dead salary for 3 years, one that wouldnt make this deal worth it probably.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
As a fan of neither team, I'm appalled by the notion that Backes' contract is being equated to 26 year old Brandon Saad's. Saad is on pace for 47 points which is pretty close to his career average. Last season was obviously a disappointment but given his recent play and age, he's far from a sure thing in terms of regression. Backes on the other hand is 34 years old and is less likely to viewed as a player with upside. Backes certainly had a higher peek so I suppose there's that. I still don't think their value is in the same ballpark.

Saad should not be dealt for a cap dump unless said dump is being included with picks or prospects.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Saad is okay - he's youngish and who knows, if he finds a team he's happy with, maybe he can still play... but someone's going to have to eat some of that contract to make it palatable. Otherwise, he can stay put in CHI.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: