Waived: Brandon Prust on waivers (Update: Clears, sent to Utica)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This was after the insanely unfair recapture penalties were applied retroactively and made the contract difficult to trade—which was exactly what Luongo's comment was in reference to.

When the contract was signed it was a fantastic deal, and still would be without the recapture penalties.

F*** it's funny the lengths some people will twist things to make JB seem like a less horrible GM than he is...

I would elaborate that it was a great contract for the Vancouver Canucks, and would be a great contract for other teams in contention needing a goalie. There's a reason why so many teams signed that sort of contract. What created a major limitation at the time though was that the only teams needing a goalie were low budget and/or bottom feeding teams. Teams that wouldn't want to pay a player a higher salary than their cap hit.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gillis did have a cap structure he was comfortable with. I disagree with your assessment of Ehrhoff. For one thing, Ehrhoff's ability to jump into the play and finish off the chances the Sedins create should not be undervalued. The only player in recent memory who was good at converting those backdoor plays was Ohlund. How many times have you seen Hamhuis get those opportunities and fail to finish? As for Ehrhoff not "driving" plays himself. He was the team's best puckmoving defenseman. But even if you're right, who cares. He proved to be a great fit. The offense was not the same without him. It's like Burrows in his prime with the Sedins. Or Kunitz in his prime with Crosby. Does it matter that they are far lesser players not playing alongside the stars? Not really because they are the best fits alongside those stars. Ehrhoff's offensive production was terrific and far and away our best offensive defenceman. Ehrhoff scored 14 goals in each of his two seasons here. He also had 44 and 50 points. Does it matter that he can't put up that production without the Sedins? Not as far as the Canucks are concerned because no one else can put up that production with the Sedins.

I think the stats speak for themselves. Maybe you just over value Ehrhoffs contributions?

And just to reiterate I think Ehrhoff was a good fit for the Sedins. Just not to the tune of his camp determining the outcomes or driving negotiations.

Hes not the reason the Canucka are no longer contenders.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The trade was always misguided. Kassian at his worst is still better and cheaper than Prust. It's laughable Prust was brought in for character. This is a guy who has called an NHL head coach a "fat walrus", and has embarrassed himself on other occasions too.

If Kassian's value is low around the league, why sell? He had a great string of games to end his season before getting injured.

Absolutely. 100% agree. Kassian at his worst is a decent 3L scoring player. Who is younger and cheaper. And with potential for more.

Prust was clearly a Benning target. Brought in for "character" as you said (because whining and spearing guys in the nards is great character). He was never as good as Kassian, costs more and is old.

And we dumped a 5th on top of that.

If only anyone could have thought this wasn't a good deal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Pedan and Subban are irrelevant to this conversation and I don't think many, if any advocated for Subban. Honestly, Pedan might be an upgrade on a couple of our defensemen so I don't know how bad that makes those fans look. Probably speaks to our poor defensive depth more than anything.

As for Shinkaruk and Gaunce. Shinkaruk clearly needed another year down in the minors. Some were hoping that he would surprise in camp like Hutton and McCann did this year but it didn't happen. Gaunce is ready for the NHL and would be a better option than Prust but somehow being old made Prust a better option.

Vey is not as much of a kid as the rest of them. Not at all. He's a fringe player at 24 years old and over 100 NHL games played. He is no longer a prospect and is unlikely to ever develop into a regular NHLer. This part of your argument is especially ridiculous. Of course it's also incredibly ironic when you talk about Kassian being "gifted" a spot right before talking about Vey.

And yet all of them have cited to play in various spots on the Canucks roster. Gaunce being better than Prust when the actual trade happened was certainly debatable, but you have to appreciate management being wary of another kid mking it out of training camp unless he blew it out of the water.

So is Baertschi, who just happens to be developing into one of our best players not named Sedin recently. How quickly were people to wave him off as yet another supposed failure? Age does not necessarily equate to experience. Granted, I don't think Vey will amount to anything noteworthy, but he is still considered a young player. The difference between him and the idolization over Zack Kassian is only one kept getting vaulted to the top line.

Ironic, yes. But my point was not to compare Vey's over-usage, but essentially an inherent bias. Certain players are deemed bad based on a few games and that narrative never changes. Take Sutter, who frankly, outplayed Horvat and Vrbata handedly at the beginning of the season. Nope, he still sucks.

Yet we threw a kid like Virtanen on the team when he CLEARLY wasn't ready. Couple that with Willie D's quote about developing kids by rushing them along and we are basically the opposite of the Detroit model. Higgins and Prust played themselves out of the NHL altogether, they were not beaten out by kids. Having your veterans play so badly that you have to waive them and no other team takes them doesn't mean that the kiddies have earned their spot.

Virtanen is a unique case where sending him back would mean going to junior, thus management kept him around the lockerroom-- an action that ultimately paid dividends. Had they been allowed to send him to the AHL, I suspect he would have been playing there most of this season. As for Higgins and Prust. It's a mixture of both. If we didn't have as many kids playing up and beyond expectations, we wouldn't have waived the aforementioned as we'd have no one to adequately fill the spot.

He takes up cap space and a roster spot. There is an opportunity cost to every move. As a follower of the Habs you should have been well aware of the fact that Prust's game had fallen off to the point where he was barely NHL caliber and was living off of his reputation from year ago. We acquired him to fight so Dorsett didn't have to as much, and as a mentor for the kids, not for his NHL ability. Obviously neither of us are in the room, but being waived because of throwing a hissy fit because of a scratch doesn't exactly scream the lockerroom mentor that our young players should look up to. It was a failure on all levels. Giving up on Kassian, ruining his value last season, trading for an overrated veteran who was way past his prime and overpaid for what he brings, and throwing in a 5th round pick just for *****.

Of which we required neither. You're right though, we acquired him to mentor the kids and fight. Perhaps not the best assortment of skills, but given the circumstances of why the trade happened, Prust was basically all we could get. How is Benning supposed to know Prust would throw a hissy fit when every word out of Montreal is how much of a purported character guy he is? The Habs only made the move to clear salary after re-upping Plekanec. They never actually wanted to move him.

Zack Kassian ruined Zack Kassian's value. Can we stop this nonsense? The kid is an alcoholic who the team spent three years attempting to work with. Three different coaches threw their hands up and demoted him. Montreal quite literally threw him off the team after he had just been kicked out of Vancouver. At what point do we lay the fault of Kassian on Kassian's shoulders? Benning spent almost all of last season trying to trade him, but no one wanted him. There's a reason we ultimately got Prust. And there's further reason Montreal had to take back Ben friggin' Scrivens.

Kassian may be idolized on this board. Around the league? He's a fringe NHL players with far too much baggage.

and isn't that the problem :laugh:

This move has completely blown up in Benning's face and he deserves to be criticized for it. While not a completely devastating move, it was a sequence of really poor decisions from our management team that really scares me as a fan.

Sadly, yes. :laugh:

For me, it depends on how you evaluate the trade. Benning took a gamble on potentially flipping Prust, all whilst using him as a placeholder and mentor to a youthened line-up. Furthermore, he wanted to avoid the backlash associated with keeping Kassian, but couldn't find any takers. While it ultimately failed, the end result isn't a noteworthy loss.

At the end of the day who cares about the 5th? Losing Kassian was the biggest problem, that we gave up a 5th to do so was just insult to injury.

Kassian had no value, which is why we eventually got Prust in the first place. After his incidents, they just wanted him gone.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Absolutely. 100% agree. Kassian at his worst is a decent 3L scoring player. Who is younger and cheaper. And with potential for more.

Prust was clearly a Benning target. Brought in for "character" as you said (because whining and spearing guys in the nards is great character). He was never as good as Kassian, costs more and is old.

And we dumped a 5th on top of that.

If only anyone could have thought this wasn't a good deal.

Kassian at his worse is in rehab and on waivers. Kassian is a big talent but had major issues. I wish he turned he life around here

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kassian at his worse is in rehab and on waivers. Kassian is a big talent but had major issues. I wish he turned he life around here

I wish the Canucks had tried harder, too. WTH? You'd think an org that suffered a loss to mental illness would be more active. Tons of kids have trouble with life in pro sports, this is a given. Do they have no mechanisms in place to deal with it? FFS! Is it a cost issue? They don't mind hiring sleep doctors.

It is disgusting to think they are just pocketing the money and kicking troubled players to the curb but that is the optics of it. Massive fail!

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
What exactly is the value of comparing Prust and Kassian as players? We all know that's not why the trade was made, it's not like Benning was sitting there thinking oh damn this Prust guy is gonna light it up.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
What exactly is the value of comparing Prust and Kassian as players? We all know that's not why the trade was made, it's not like Benning was sitting there thinking oh damn this Prust guy is gonna light it up.

No, he just said Prust would make the Canucks faster and tougher :laugh: Oh, boy...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
ok...thoughts a day later...

-strongly disliked the trade when it happened. Mainly because they were giving up on Kassian (not because they were acquiring Prust) and was confused that they had to give up more than Kassian to get a 33 year old 4th liner that was close to being out of the league.
-thought Prust had a decent start. Was hopeful that he could play a decent 3rd/4th line role on a young team (though would have preferred that Gaunce started the year as a bottom 6 winger).
-injury really set him back. He couldn't afford to lose a step and, unfortunately, he lost more than a step.
-the NY thing was just weird and should have been kept internally. But, nevertheless, it was clearly the end when TL appeared to question the wisdom of the decision to play him. It was time for Prust to move on.
-final verdict in the trade was Kassian + a 5th for a 7 month headache. Not good.

But, in the final analysis I must say it is a little difficult watching a guy like Prust fade as he has in Vancouver. He's a guy that was always fringe but gutted out a decent career at the NHL level. He found his role and played it well (not in Vancouver). Too often we see on these boards how a player "sucks" or he "can't skate". I think most posters, especially those who have played at a higher level, can acknowledge that playing in the NHL takes an elite physical skill set. Some players, like Prust, don't look so elite when they're up against OV, Crosby, etc, but they are elite nonetheless.

In the end, Prust deserves enormous respect for the career he's had in the NHL. It takes a huge commitment, elite ability, and he is among a small fraternity of athletes who can say they have been there.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I wish the Canucks had tried harder, too. WTH? You'd think an org that suffered a loss to mental illness would be more active. Tons of kids have trouble with life in pro sports, this is a given. Do they have no mechanisms in place to deal with it? FFS! Is it a cost issue? They don't mind hiring sleep doctors.

It is disgusting to think they are just pocketing the money and kicking troubled players to the curb but that is the optics of it. Massive fail!

The massive fail here is your misunderstanding of alcoholics.
You can't change anyone's behaviour unless they want to.
A real alcoholic won't make a real change with their habit till they hit rock bottom.

The only other thing the Canucks could of done is force him to drive into a tree here.
Go back and listen to Linden and Benning's comments around the time of the trade... They mentioned the number of people they had talk to him... Mentioned the three coaches.. Even read thru Kassian's own comments-he owns it was on him..Etc.

There is nothing anyone can do to 'try harder'.
accountability is on Kassian... Not the Canucks.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Unsurprisingly Prust cleared waivers.

If he had a tantrum over the prospect of not being guaranteed a lineup spot I wonder how he'll take being sent to the AHL. Not really a good situation for anyone.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Too bad, but not at all surprising. Hopefully they can still find a taker for him before the deadline.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Unsurprisingly Prust cleared waivers.

If he had a tantrum over the prospect of not being guaranteed a lineup spot I wonder how he'll take being sent to the AHL. Not really a good situation for anyone.

Love how we're the ones that ended up with the guy that you wouldn't want near your prospects. :facepalm:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Its insulting you pretend the organization would do nothing to help zack.

And brining up rypien to prove your point when its no where near appropropriate.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Where are the people claiming Wed get a 2nd for Prust at the deadline and Jim would be vindicated for the master genius he is?

Who said we'd get a 2nd, I heard anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th on here, but exaggerate away.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Also funny to see that Farnham is in the NHL while Prust is now riding the buses.

Who's going to teach the young ones how to whine publicly on twitter?

I've always thought that Zalewski's Twitter game was lacking TBH

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i've said this before but when it came to light that kassian had an addiction problem, i thought to myself: young guy is battling addiction and jim benning ships him off to the city in the league where he is most likely to get himself into trouble. considering that the return was basically less than nothing, it feels borderline vindictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad