Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We'll have to see how his year goes, but he is an RFA after this season, so I don't see why not.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yup RFA after this season. Needs to be sheltered but will flat out shoot and makes our PP much better.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This guy has a really nice shot, surprised he's flown under the radar in the NHL. Will Gorton try to extend him before he hits free agency again?

I do not know if he flew under the radar that much. Bloggers and the media spoke about him. He was a 2nd round pick and played over 160 NHL games for 3 different teams so I think teams, GMs, and coaches knew who he was but chose to go in a different direction for whatever reason. Here is what the NY Post said about him 4-5 months ago when discussing budget low cost free agents.

Brandon Pirri, F

Offensive talent and even his production (49 career goals in 166 games while getting 14:06 per) don’t quite equate to the 25-year-old having burned through three teams (Chicago, Florida and Anaheim) the last three years. Would seem a reasonable gamble, but the Ducks did not qualify him for what would have been just over $1 million, so what do they know that we don’t?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I do not know if he flew under the radar that much. Bloggers and the media spoke about him. He was a 2nd round pick and played over 160 NHL games for 3 different teams so I think teams, GMs, and coaches knew who he was but chose to go in a different direction for whatever reason. Here is what the NY Post said about him 4-5 months ago when discussing budget low cost free agents.

Brandon Pirri, F

Offensive talent and even his production (49 career goals in 166 games while getting 14:06 per) don’t quite equate to the 25-year-old having burned through three teams (Chicago, Florida and Anaheim) the last three years. Would seem a reasonable gamble, but the Ducks did not qualify him for what would have been just over $1 million, so what do they know that we don’t?

Was it Larry Brooks? Because that would explain why they didn't know. They have trouble signing their RFAs as it stands now. Adding another 1m for a budget team is not the same as the Rangers adding him for 1.1m.

I explained this 2 weeks ago:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=122502263&postcount=651

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
It's been one regular season game, he could easily score a handful in our first 5 games and not score again for the next 15, he's done it before and will do it again. Like I've said before over 82 games he's not an ideal 4th liner. That's based off his career thus far, maybe he's finally figured it out and we luck out on this one; but there's a reason he didn't sign until late august.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's been one regular season game, he could easily score a handful in our first 5 games and not score again for the next 15, he's done it before and will do it again. Like I've said before over 82 games he's not an ideal 4th liner. That's based off his career thus far, maybe he's finally figured it out and we luck out on this one; but there's a reason he didn't sign until late august.

Taylor Pyatt scored 3 goals in his first 4 games as a Ranger once ;)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Anybody surprised that Pirri can score goals hasn't been paying attention

They shouldn't be surprised. Question is why 29 other teams passed on a bargain contract guy who had already scored NHL goals. He wasn't even a priority signing for us. We signed a handful of other guys first and didn't sign Pirri for almost 2 months. In a salary capped league why did so many teams pass in a guy that showed he could score in 160 NHL games?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They shouldn't be surprised. Question is why 29 other teams passed on a bargain contract guy who had already scored NHL goals. He wasn't even a priority signing for us. We signed a handful of other guys first and didn't sign Pirri for almost 2 months. In a salary capped league why did so many teams pass in a guy that showed he could score in 160 NHL games?

Because NHL teams greatly value 2 way play over almost everything else and he has a reputation as being extremely one dimensional and can do literally nothing at all except shoot the puck.

So far I'm finding that reputation to be a bit harsh but we'll see how things work out. Also possible that teams have felt like sure he can score goals but he can't score them *that* well and we want a more roundedplayer otherwise.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The answer is right there. That, and a bunch of teams actually being budget teams, means guys go unsigned for a few months sometimes. It took a while before Hudler was signed as well. It happens.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We will see how he develops - Pirri is only 25 though so I suppose there is room for improvement with other aspects of his skill set for sure.
If Brandon Pirri continue with this pace 2 pts pr. game - he will be rewarded with a great extension contract waiting for him. :)

82 * 2 164 NHL pts a season. simple math. :P

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We will see how he develops - Pirri is only 25 though so I suppose there is room for improvement with other aspects of his skill set for sure.
If Brandon Pirri continue with this pace 2 pts pr. game - he will be rewarded with a great extension contract waiting for him. :)

164 points for a 1 mill contract will be a bargain!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Marchand is on pace for 410 points this season. That's amazing!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I personally believe that there are aspects of evaluating NHL players that are overrated. If there is a guy like Pirri available, who scores goals at a top-tier rate, then we can live with a perceived evaluation of shoddy defensive play.

Goals above all.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Because NHL teams greatly value 2 way play over almost everything else and he has a reputation as being extremely one dimensional and can do literally nothing at all except shoot the puck.

Hopefully that is all it was.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Congrats Auston Matthews on breaking Wayne Gretzky's long standing record with 328 goals this season.

Pirri is good for shootouts and the PP. Having him and Zibs unloading from the dots makes the PP so much more dynamic and dangerous. It also engineers the PP to shoot more which is also great.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

If you look at the movement/contracts for guys like PA Parenteau, Vanek, and Semin recently, the market isn't great for one-way guys who have struggled with consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad