Waived: Brandon Manning

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Chiarelli’s worst trade ever.

Not necessarily in terms of value but in principle.

Team that has the worst wingers in the league trades a young, serviceable, versatile winger for a dman no GM in the league would take for free like will soon be proven as no one will claim him. On top of that, that guy had injured your best player in the past.

That’s literally the type of move you’d joke about making, ”haha, good one”. Can’t fathom the guy behind that trade actually got paid good money.

Maybe Hitch was pressing for more toughness on the back end but i don’t care. I’d fire my GM on the spot if i saw something this dumb.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
#PlayerAcq./Ext.MovedGP
1Drake Caggiula6/14/1812/30/1829
2Ryan Strome7/6/1811/16/1818
3Jakub Jerabek8/20/1810/1/180
4Jason Garrison10/2/1812/30/1817
5Chris Wideman11/22/1812/30/185
6Valentin Zykov11/30/1812/29/185
7Brandon Manning12/30/182/18/1912
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Booba

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
I laughed when I heard about the trade and I'm laughing even harder now that Manning is waived. another horrible move by the Oilers not working out for them.

Reactions: Taylorst

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
How close were McDavid and Caggiula anyway? I heard they were best friends. This can’t possibly be going over well in McDavid’s mind.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Overall yes, but this was the worst for sheer process decision making.

This trade reeked of desperation as have most of his moves this year. The same thing was happening to him in Boston (see Brett Connolly for 2 second round picks), and rumors of dealing their first round pick plus more for Yandle and Vermette who were going to be UFA. That was squashed when Neely forbid him from making any deals that involved the 1st rounder and top prospects.

But Hall and Seguin were absolute franchise busters with Jordan Eberle for Sam Gagner a close second tier. Hall should have never been dealt and, even if Seguin couldn't keep in in his pants, they still should have held out for a Kings ransom, didn't happen.

Worst GM in hockey. He'll never get another job like this again.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Terrible move. Manning is better than Gravel, Benning, and Petro yet he is waived. I bet McDavid was behind this.

Manning had actually been fairly solid the past few games he had played, but I guess that doesn’t mean anything these days.

Good luck Mandog. You won’t find a harder working guy out there who gave his all every shift.
Gravel is twice the defender he is and Petrovic has more value and could be traded.

Benning is better defensively too.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Chiarelli’s worst trade ever.

Not necessarily in terms of value but in principle.

Team that has the worst wingers in the league trades a young, serviceable, versatile winger for a dman no GM in the league would take for free like will soon be proven as no one will claim him. On top of that, that guy had injured your best player in the past.

That’s literally the type of move you’d joke about making, ”haha, good one”. Can’t fathom the guy behind that trade actually got paid good money.

Maybe Hitch was pressing for more toughness on the back end but i don’t care. I’d fire my GM on the spot if i saw something this dumb.

That’s only scratching the surface of the absurdity of the deal. Let’s not forget he had already acquired Petrovic earlier in the day. In his presser the following day, he said he started out the day trying to move Spooner (who he had acquired only 2 months earlier) and free up some salary, but there wasn’t a market for him (shocker).

So the game plan was to move out salary at the start of the day, and by the end of the day he had acquired more salary against the cap, given up a moderately useful LW (which LW was our greatest need at the time), traded a high 3rd rd pick, and took on 2 D men who were routinely healthy scratches on teams that had a worse record and GAA than us at the time.

It’s one thing to not accomplish what you set out to do (move Spooner) but his “plan B” that he went with goes beyond any rationale imaginable.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Terrible move. Manning is better than Gravel, Benning, and Petro yet he is waived. I bet McDavid was behind this.

Manning had actually been fairly solid the past few games he had played, but I guess that doesn’t mean anything these days.

Good luck Mandog. You won’t find a harder working guy out there who gave his all every shift.
hahahahahhahaha enough already - this guy defended the clown Manning on the Flyers board and the invaded the Hawks board with this nonsense..MANNING IS COMPLETE TRASH MAN!!!!

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I wonder why it feels to be Chia. Watching the guy after you come in and reverse every move you made. Hilarious. He tries all this rings that he views aid the team

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
So happy the Hawks got Manning.... so midseason we could trade him for a player that can play top 6 minutes.

Reactions: ujju2

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How close were McDavid and Caggiula anyway? I heard they were best friends. This can’t possibly be going over well in McDavid’s mind.

i understood the same thing. mcdavid is tight with hall so they move hall in a lopsided trade. he is tight with cagiulla so they move him in a lopsided trade. plus they bring in manning who injured mcdavud. it's a lot of shots to take at the golden goose.

maybe it's a coincidence chiarelli came from a franchise that outright shot two golden geese in a row.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Just buy him out. Cap hit for 2 year buy-out is $916,667 and $666,667. They save $1,3m on the cap next year with a buy-out.

so pay $1.6 million, plus the rest of manning's salary this year, plus take a $1m cap hit for two years just to get rid of drake caggiula?

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I consider this trade right up there with the Hall for Larsson deal. I'm a fan of Cagguila's work ethic and versatility.

There is no question that Chiarelli is the worst NHL hockey GM ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad